Anyone Ever Made Chocolates From A Metal Mold?

Sugar Work By Dayti Updated 20 Dec 2012 , 2:33pm by Dayti

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 19 Dec 2012 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 7

I have a request to make chocolates using a specific metal mold, it's a corporate order. I am no chocolate expert, but I wonder if those of you who are more knowledgable, would know if it is going to be easy to get the chocolate out of a round metal mold? I am thinking if I fridge it or freeze it, it should come out, right?

6 replies
sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 19 Dec 2012 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 7

I have, many times.  As long as the mold is shiny and clean (on the inside of course) you should have no problems.  I did refrigerate mine (and sometimes used the freezer but more rarely).  They frost over just like the plastic molds and release easily. 

Dayti Posted 19 Dec 2012 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 7

AThank you, that's reassuring. I have to do some tests tomorrow but thought I'd ask first just in case the answer was a no!

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 20 Dec 2012 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 7

I have many old metal molds that I use (mostly at Easter time).  If you are painting them do your painting first and let it dry (drys very quickly) then paint the base color over the painted colors, this will help keep the colored chocolate from melting when you pour in the base chocolate.  Let this dry a few minutes before pouring in the base chocolate.  If the mold is a solid mold (it will be open on the bottom) tap it several times on a cutting board or hard service to get any air bubbles to come to the top then put it in the freezer.  If it is a hollow mold, once you clamp it together you want to slowly it turn it in all directions (about 5 minutes depending on size of mold), this helps to roll the chocolate evenly so you don't have thin spots.  Then you put it in the freezer.  When you are ready to unmold the chocolate you probably won't have problems with a solid piece but you may with a hollow one.  If it does not come out easy, but it back in the freezer and try again later.  It should come out fairly easily when it is set up.

Dayti Posted 20 Dec 2012 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 7

I've got the first 3 tests in the freezer...I didn't see your post until just now, about painting first in one colour then painting over...I just poured the dark choc over the white painted logo. It had been in the fridge for a few minutes before adding the dark choc and it is a thin layer of white. Guess I'll find out it a while if the whole thing has melted together! Any suggestions on how long it will take to go solid? Mold is around 4" wide by 1/3" high, it's solid, not hollow. It's in the freezer.

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 20 Dec 2012 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 7

A half hour should be enough.  May be shorter but I like to make sure mine are hard all the way through.  As long as there is not a really thin portion (which I haven't seen before and I have a lot of molds) you don't need to worry about it cracking.  Would love to see your finished product!

Dayti Posted 20 Dec 2012 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 7

If they turn out decent enough for me to get the order, I will post a pic. As it's a corporate order it's not very exciting though, you have been warned!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%