How Do I Achieve This Effect?

Decorating By funtodecorate2 Updated 19 Dec 2012 , 9:14pm by Evoir

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 19 Dec 2012 , 2:42am
post #1 of 4

I'm doing the yellow - orangy effect on my cake .I hope to get it like this..and I will be working with  buttercream

How do I achieve this? I don't have an spray gun, and I need to have it done in couple of days. I will need to freeze the whole thing until the day after Christmas

and  will follow Blakescakes instructions on freezing. 

I was hoping to put on the fondant animals also before freezing . Is all this possible ?

After it crusts can you use some color and vodka and a brush and lightly highlight it ? smear different color buttercreams? This is a pretty cool pic, not sure I can do it justice :)

Any help is appreciated  Thanks Wendy

3 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 19 Dec 2012 , 2:51am
post #2 of 4

It looks like handpainted fondant to me. If I was doing it in buttercream, I think I would either do coloured shades of buttercream (it would give it a lovely van Gogh touch!) or airbrush it (altho I appreciate you can;t do that as you don't have an AB machine)

Hope this helps.

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 19 Dec 2012 , 2:54am
post #3 of 4

Thanks, what about the fondant animals on the side? will they freeze ok? then take out and properly thaw? or should I attach fondant at the end . Problem is having enough time

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 19 Dec 2012 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 4

ADefinitely make your fondant decorations and store separately. Do not freeze them on the cake. Place them on the cake just before your cake is ready to serve.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%