Red Velvet Disaster??

Baking By forjenns Updated 19 Dec 2012 , 8:32pm by FullHouse

forjenns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forjenns Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 9

I'm guessing I know the answer but wonder if anyone else has an opinion.

I've only had Red Velvet 1 time so I am clueless as to what it is really suppose to taste like.

I am making a recipe a friend recommended and I grabbed the wrong bottle, I put in Almond flavor instead of Vanilla.  I am cooking it now but I wonder if it is a gonner.

8 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 9

YES! It's a gonner, I'm sure. Almond is WAY stronger than vanilla, in most cases...how much did you put in? I put 1 tsp almond in my almond cake. I put 1 Tbs vanilla in my vanilla cake.

VanillaSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaSky Posted 19 Dec 2012 , 2:15am
post #3 of 9

AIt should still taste yummy, but not like any red velvet cakes I've ever had.

Do you like almond cake? I add almond extract by the tbsps to my cake, so adding the same amount as you would have for vanilla would not be a problem for me and most people love my almond cake. But I know not everyone likes almond.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 19 Dec 2012 , 4:11am
post #4 of 9

I wouldn't worry about it.  Everybody I've heard has a different opinion on what RV cake should "taste" like.  Chances are that the people who will be eating this will just think it is another variation of red velvet.   (I suggest you don't tell anyone who will be eating the cake that you made a mistake.  I'll bet not one person makes a comment unless it's a compliment!)

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 19 Dec 2012 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 9

Growing up in FL red velvet was a staple at every gathering.  There is no almond flavor, not even a hint, in red velvet.  If you want red velvet, you will have to start over.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Dec 2012 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 9

AThere is a bakery near by that sells red velvet with almond icing and chocolate ganache filling... in a word, they're horrible.

Maybe because its artificial almond and a watery ganache, and the red velvet just tastes like flour... but they are truly Terrible.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 19 Dec 2012 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 9

Did you use vinegar in the RV recipe (most do)?  If so, then it is most likely a goner.  Either way, if the cake is for a customer, I would absolutely start over. 

If you did not use vinegar and it is for just a casual cake for family, then why not give it a try.  

forjenns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forjenns Posted 19 Dec 2012 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 9

AThe cheesecake I made to go with this turned out a disaster too so I dumped it all :-(

It is a gift for a friend who is partial to RV.

Thank you for your responses!!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 19 Dec 2012 , 8:32pm
post #9 of 9

Ugh, I hate those kind of days!  Hope the next round comes out perfectly for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%