Getting Customers To Understand My Prices

Decorating By LoveonCloudCupcake Updated 18 Dec 2012 , 9:56pm by Annabakescakes

LoveonCloudCupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveonCloudCupcake Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 5

Im having the issue of getting people to understand why i charge $2-3 a cupcake. Im new in my town and im not sure if its becuase there is no cupcake business here & they dont know what a normal cupcake cost...I charge $2 ($24 per dozen) for my cupcakes. The price goes up if fondant, fillings, or special frostings, ingredients is required. People look at me like im an idiot or they dont buy and go with someone charging $1.25 for a boxed mix, and canned frosting. I make a pure buttercream, or cream cheese buttercream, i use farm fresh eggs, best quality vanilla and chocolate and i use flour & cake flour.. What is a way i can help them understand? Ive already advertised my fine ingredients.

4 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 5

You need to do up a flyer style page that you can print and post online...showing your list of ingredients and the lists of ingredients from a cake mix and canned frosting.  Show them side by side and put at the bottom "which would you rather eat?"

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 5

LoveonCloudCupcake,

Here's an idea for you.

Personally I am not impressed with Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Sure they're dynamite hot but truly they are not an above average doughnut by any means to me. However their marketers created such a frenzy, sucha buzz, sucha swooning euphoria about KK that they are just phenominally successful.

And so that's what I think is important here for you. It's not the ingredients although it has to be edible. And I'm sure your stuff is cut above--I'm just saying--You need to create a consistent buzz you need to stir things up, make a splash when your goods are served. Make the magic and they will come.

I think people don't want explanations they want inspiration.

KK gives people an experience--what do your cupcakes give them?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 5

AYou may want to consider finding a new target market instead of trying to convince price-sensitive customers to pay premium prices.

What is your current marketing strategy?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 5

Where is your shop? What kind of impression do they get when they come through the door? Or even before they walk in? If it feels fancy, people are less surprised when they come in and see fancy prices ;-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%