vgcea Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 3:04am

I have one stored in a box right now but I don't want a bunch of boxed up dummies taking the little space I have. I'd imagine they would gather dust if I just placed them uncovered on a table but I'd much rather have them covered, just not in boxes. Any tips please?

8 replies
BakingIrene Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 3:08am

Clear green or blue trash bags? (more light proof than clear uncoloured ones)

vgcea Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 3:11am

Great idea BakingIrene, I suppose I wouldn't tie them right? Something about fondant not liking airtight environments or does that only apply to fondant on real cake?

BakingIrene Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 3:13am

You would have to loosely knot them to keep bugs out.  Once bone dry, they will be OK with a firmer knot.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 3:35am

Hmm. Are they frosted with frosting, or with Hydrocal? (I'm being a little tongue-in-cheek, and a little serious: it seems to me that a dense, strong, gypsum plaster like Hydrocal [a traditional choice for model railroad scenery since the 1950s] would be a good choice for frosting something that's not edible to begin with.)

vgcea Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 4:18am

They're going to be covered in fondant. I bet Hydrocal is many times more expensive than my humble home-made fondant and probably doesn't handle the same way. The dummies are mainly for practice with fondant work, and for mock-ups so using any other medium would defeat the purpose.

EDIT: Thanks BakingIrene!

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 6:02am

Yes, if they're for fondant practice, frosting them with hydrocal would kind of defeat the purpose. On the other hand, if they were for window displays . . .

As far as what it costs, well, in 25 pound bags, it's about $2 a pound. But any decent hobby shop that specializes in model trains can supply it in smaller amounts, albeit with a bit of a markup. And it's strong. A couple of layers of hydrocal-soaked paper toweling will support your weight. I believe U.S. Gypsum originally developed it as a mold medium for lost wax investment casting.

SugaredSaffron Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 8:59am

Large plastic bags over the top.

vgcea Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 9:08am
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

Yes, if they're for fondant practice, frosting them with hydrocal would kind of defeat the purpose. On the other hand, if they were for window displays . . .

As far as what it costs, well, in 25 pound bags, it's about $2 a pound. But any decent hobby shop that specializes in model trains can supply it in smaller amounts, albeit with a bit of a markup. And it's strong. A couple of layers of hydrocal-soaked paper toweling will support your weight. I believe U.S. Gypsum originally developed it as a mold medium for lost wax investment casting.

I'll have to remember that for when I have my shop. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaredSaffron 

Large plastic bags over the top.

Thank you!

Quote by %username% on %date%

%body%