Help With This Awful Wilton Decorators Icing.

Decorating By oxyjenandtonic Updated 17 Dec 2012 , 7:15pm by Cakeloc

oxyjenandtonic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oxyjenandtonic Posted 16 Dec 2012 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 5

I am making holiday cupcakes for an event tomorrow.  I ordered the supplies I needed in plenty of time but due to an issue with UPS do not have them.  I mostly make my own buttercream but to save time, since there are a lot of cupcakes to be done, I ordered a really good brand of pre-made buttercream.  Since that did not arrive I decided to try the Wilton Decorator Icing.  This was a mistake.  The texture was off from the beginning.  Using it with tips looks terrible.  There are no details showing up and it looks like a large ugly blob.  I have never had this kind of trouble with buttercream.  Anyone have any ideas on how to save this icing?  If not I will be headed to the store to get the supplies to make my own and I will be up late decorating.  Thanks!

4 replies
thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 16 Dec 2012 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 5

Your frosting is too thin. I have used that recipe in my Wilton class for 8 years and never had a problem with it.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 12:02am
post #3 of 5

To rescue this problem, beat in some softened butter and then a small amount of sugar.  CAREFULLY add more sugar until you get a good peak consistency. 

If you have to start over: Use the Wilton recipe for snow-white buttercream. Works first time, every time.  Needs meringue powder which is widely distributed in crafts shops. 

If all else fails, make buttercream using 1 pound of butter to 2 pounds of powdered sugar adding enough corn syrup until you get a good spreading consistency.  

And remember to cancel that icing order if possible.

oxyjenandtonic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oxyjenandtonic Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 2:21am
post #4 of 5

AThanks. I finally tossed it and made my own. This was not the mix but the pre-made container so it came right out of the tub that way. I have never had that problem with buttercream before and will just stick to making it myself or using this other brand. I don't know what was happening with this icing but it looked and felt wrong from the moment I opened the tub.

Cakeloc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeloc Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 5

Seems like you have everything figured out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%