I'm Doing My First Wedding Cake And I Need Help!

Business By Janani65 Updated 12 Dec 2012 , 9:52pm by BomCakes

Janani65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janani65 Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 9

AHi,

Baking the cake is not the problem here.

I have no idea about the process of doing a wedding cake. I mean signing a contract, and other formalities. The bride wants to know my per hour charge and the ceremony is said to be four hours. Do they expect me to be there and serve the cake? What else should I know?

Please help me!

Thanks in advance,

Jan

8 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 9

I don't stay to serve the cake and I don't know anyone else who does. The per hour charge makes no sense...Tell her that you charge per serving or however it is that you figure out the cost of the cake.

If you don't have a cake contract, are you legal to sell cakes? Some venues require a license if you bring food in from outside, and some don't. You might want to check. If you're working under a cottage food law you'll have to work that out with them if they do require a business license.

Don't take any money from the bride unless you get a contract in place first. She should sign a contract and give it to you with the retainer, that way she can't say that she didn't know this or that about your policies. You should get a contract screened through an attorney, every state has different things that are and aren't legal in contracts. There are some that you can find online but make sure you have someone check it out before you have the bride sign it.

It shouldn't take too long to get a contract and get someone to look at it. In the meantime, ask the bride if she's thinking that you're going to stay to serve the cake...I wouldn't do it unless someone was going to pay me a lot, and they'd have to pay me from the time I set the cake up before the reception started to when it was served, if they expected me to sit there and wait. Usually the people at the venue or the caterer will cut and serve the cake.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 9

It is normal for a contract to include such details as who will deliver, where and when.  It also requires a deposit up front, final payment before delivery, and a clear description of which forms of payment you accept. Also a statement of how close to the wedding you will consider changes to the design.

Many people have a delivery charge for anything outside their normal area.  This has to be written out before you sign the contract.

DO NOT accept cheques (checks) unless you are interested in collecting fees plus other expenses for stopped payment or insufficient funds.

The venue probably has rules about who serves the cake, or the bride will make arrangements with her caterer. You need to ask her these details to write your contract. 

There is no reason at all to plan to serve the cake, or to discuss your per-hour charges at all.  That is NOT her business. If the bride gets snarky about finding out your hourly rate, ask her to tell you first what  SHE earns per hour...she will get the message.

Janani65 Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 9

AThank you so much for replying! I'm a bit nervous right now :)

I'm from Ohio and when checked with the department they said I don't need a contract. But, I will meet a lawyer and get a contract done as soon as possible. She said she wants to pay me first and then sign the contract. I didn't encourage that. (Luckily)...

Thanks again...If there's anything I should know please let me know..

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janani65 

Thank you so much for replying! I'm a bit nervous right now icon_smile.gif
I'm from Ohio and when checked with the department they said I don't need a contract. But, I will meet a lawyer and get a contract done as soon as possible. She said she wants to pay me first and then sign the contract. I didn't encourage that. (Luckily)...
Thanks again...If there's anything I should know please let me know..

Oh, no no no...Sign the contract first, never let them give you money without having a client sign off on your policies. Taking retainers without a signature can get very sticky. Some places let emails and other written correspondence act as contracts, some don't. It's not worth the effort of trying to figure out what's legal and what isn't, just have her sign it and return it to you with the retainer.

If she keeps pestering you about your hourly rate, tell her that you can't calculate that because you work a different number of hours per week on each cake including the shopping, planning, cleaning, decorating etc., so you're basically a salaried employee of yourselficon_smile.gif

Janani65 Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 9

AI will keep all these in mind. thank you so much...You all are so kind... I feel lucky to have people like you around to get advice when needed.... I asked further info from the client and I didn't get a reply still. Keeping my fingers crossed.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 9

Where in Ohio are you located?  I am in Kent, oh.

Janani65 Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 9

AI'm from Columbus,. :)

BomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BomCakes Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 9:52pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janani65 

She said she wants to pay me first and then sign the contract.

Wow, Why would she have said that? Sounds like she's got thoughts of her own about a part of the process that protects YOU and You don't want that.

I make the rules when it comes to the Consultation, Deposit, Order Changes, Final payment, and Delivery and I do not cut the cake. I am flexible in some cases if an emergency arises. But if/when a Bride or MOB shows up and tries to hijack the consultation it's up to you to get it back and point them in the direction you want them to go.

, " I'm so sorry, but I do not accept funds before the contract is signed. It's just a formality but it protects everyone involved, you understand".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%