Icing Recipe Most Like Store Bought (Dd Request)

Baking By aliciaf1 Updated 12 Dec 2012 , 6:40pm by BakingIrene

aliciaf1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaf1 Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 10

So my DD (and I use this term loosely at this point lol) just informed me she didn't care for my homemade buttercream and instead preferred the store bought kind.

Since i refuse to buy icing, i thought it would be fun to experiment on making an icing that tastes similar to the store bought flavor she is going for...i am thinking i'll need to start with a shortening based recipe.  any other thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 10

There's chemicals you might not can get, stabilizers and special shortening plus the imitation flavorings. I mean why not give her what she wants? If you make it is it store bought?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 10

AYou mean the stuff in the tub, or the stuff that comes in the bucket at Walmart?

aliciaf1 Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 10

sorry - icing that is used on the cakes at like supermarkets.

And its not about giving her what she wants, its not her bday cake this is for.  It's just for a family party where the rest of the guests wouldn't particularly care for Betty Crocker thrown on some cupcakes.  And i was trying to do a little experimenting in the meantime to see if DD would like it as well.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 10

I think she wants attention and I think you won't get close to mimicking it. You can make a random icing from shortening and imitation flavor but you'll still be out the stabilizer.

So you're making an icing to please your daughter that the rest of guests might not care for?

I'm sorry if I'm getting this wrong. I don't understand.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 10

AThen I would just use close to the Wilton recipe. Shortening, butter flavor, real vanilla, but with milk instead of water. Double the flavors, and milk, and use a little extra powdered sugar.

It won't be as good as a butter recipe, but like bucket icing, only better.

aliciaf1 Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Then I would just use close to the Wilton recipe. Shortening, butter flavor, real vanilla, but with milk instead of water. Double the flavors, and milk, and use a little extra powdered sugar.
It won't be as good as a butter recipe, but like bucket icing, only better.

cool - thanks for the suggestion!

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 10

AI did a Google search and there are several recipes for grocery store frosting but who knows if they tasted like what she's asking for sseveral sites say to just call your local grocery bakery and ask if they will sell you some of it...there are also sites that say you can buy the Wal-Mart brand frosting at Sam's club but it comes in a 5 pound tub. There are tons of recipes on the web for Wal-Mart frosting just go to Google and type in Wal-Mart frosting recipe

aliciaf1 Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks - I am going to try and modify a homemade icing to see if i can get it to something DD likes.  I might call or talk to the bakery dept to see if they can give me some idea into the main ingredients.  I know i'll never get it exact, but will be fun trying!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 6:40pm
post #10 of 10

DD might be asking for fake vanilla.  Or she may be asking for shortening not butter.

But this is a popular question if you use google.  Search using the terms "like storename icing"  and see what you get.

Here is what my hometown newspaper did to help   http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/food/spread-the-word-icing-a-smooth-treat-164550696.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%