Things Not To Ask/say To A Baker!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 30 Jul 2016 , 8:35pm by costumeczar

FioreCakes Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 12:33am
post #2521 of 3218

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 
 

I think that some people on here need to keep in mind that not everyone has the money to buy a custom cake or even the desire to and would not dream of spending a huge amount on their child's birthday cake.  In fact I have never met any kids (apart from my own) that had really fancy cakes.  And even if I had never made a cake before, if I had made 3 tiers, with lumpy fondant and stuck a bought crown on the top the kids would have thought it was fantastic.  Articles like that are not necessarily aimed at the people who would buy a custom cake for their child.  And lets be honest custom cakes are more admired by the adults than the kids.  If your 'little princess' is devastated because her cake is not up to scratch then maybe it is time that she is taught about real life and it's values; like that Mum loves you and went to all this effort to make you happy. And whilst my kids friends used to go nuts over the birthday cakes at my place never once did my kids come home from a party and say ".....they only had a cr...py cake." 

Cazza- I agree with you, but one time I defended a customer on here because I thought the complaint the baker had was absurd. Then, I was reminded my the members of this thread that bakers are just coming here to vent and this should mainly be taken in jest. And I realized she was right, I was taking it too seriously and people in every profession should have some where to vent their annoyances, no matter how petty others may see them! 

CONFECTIONERIE Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 1:25am
post #2522 of 3218

First off, I have to say that I love this thread!  I'm a very, very new baker just laying the ground work for a cake business and it's so beneficial to see what kind of customers I'll potentially be dealing with.  I sell furniture as a day job so I'm no stranger to silly/absurd questions, (my favorite is when people are looking for picture frames that "go the other way."  It's like... Just rest it on the other side!) but that aside I do have one story to share with you guys!

 

I was doing a dessert bar and wedding cake for a very good friend/coworker of mine (I was a bridesmaid in the wedding).  The full spread was a three tiered cake (it's the white and blue one in my pictures), mini cupcakes, cheesecake filled strawberries, and chocolate truffles.  Half of the truffles I dipped in chocolate in corresponding colors to the theme and the other half I just rolled in cocoa powder, which to my knowledge is pretty common practice.

 

Now at the wedding and I was getting a lot of awesome feedback (the bride told me later that the dessert table was the most talked about part of the wedding).  I went outside to get some fresh air and these two women were smoking outside and talking about the wedding.  

 

One of them notices me and asks, "Oh, you're the baker right?"

I answer, "Yes!  Are you enjoying the desserts?"

 

And then proceeded to tell me about how she loved everything but that she had to spit out the truffles because they were "SO TERRIBLY AWFUL!!!"  All while laughing hysterically like it was the funniest thing on earth.  

 

I tried to laugh it off but I was definitely offended.  Other guests told me the truffles were their favorite part!  I think that maybe the cocoa powder was just too bitter for her, maybe she's just used to the super sweet milk chocolate that permeates all candies and desserts.  Or maybe I took it to heart cause I just spent three days straight baking for the dessert bar (as well as another wedding cake the day before) and was pretty darn pooped.

 

Either way, lesson learned!  Some people will never like what you put out!

mcaulir Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 1:45am
post #2523 of 3218

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 
 

I think that some people on here need to keep in mind that not everyone has the money to buy a custom cake or even the desire to and would not dream of spending a huge amount on their child's birthday cake.  In fact I have never met any kids (apart from my own) that had really fancy cakes.  And even if I had never made a cake before, if I had made 3 tiers, with lumpy fondant and stuck a bought crown on the top the kids would have thought it was fantastic.  Articles like that are not necessarily aimed at the people who would buy a custom cake for their child.  And lets be honest custom cakes are more admired by the adults than the kids.  If your 'little princess' is devastated because her cake is not up to scratch then maybe it is time that she is taught about real life and it's values; like that Mum loves you and went to all this effort to make you happy. And whilst my kids friends used to go nuts over the birthday cakes at my place never once did my kids come home from a party and say ".....they only had a cr...py cake."

Of course not everyone wants fancy cake. My own kids usually get shop bought ones. As long as they're colourful and have candles in them, they don't care.

 

I posted the article because of the ridiculous advice about how easy and cheap it was to just make a fondant cake. I thought it was funny. Because, you know, it's not.

Carrie789 Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 4:03am
post #2524 of 3218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir 
 

Of course not everyone wants fancy cake. My own kids usually get shop bought ones. As long as they're colourful and have candles in them, they don't care.

 

I posted the article because of the ridiculous advice about how easy and cheap it was to just make a fondant cake. I thought it was funny. Because, you know, it's not.


Me, too. I especially liked the part where some people "spend upwards of $100 for a three tier cake."

cazza1 Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 7:00am
post #2525 of 3218

mccaulir, my comment was not aimed at you posting the article because I agree with you but at the comment;

 

(Complete with pictures of the devastated little "princess" when she sees her wreck of a cake.)

 

That was what got my goat up.

mcaulir Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 9:30am
post #2526 of 3218

Ah, I took that more as, 'What kind of wreck would you get with that advice?' and less as, 'Ha! A little girl would cry!'

-K8memphis Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 3:43pm
post #2527 of 3218
i think this would be high on the list of things you would not want to hear--got this from an online bully

 

Quote:
 ...I've seen your work and you not only suck as a cake maker you need meds and have mental issues...  
MimiFix Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 4:00pm
post #2528 of 3218

Kate, was that on Facebook? What an a$$hole.

Godot Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 4:02pm
post #2529 of 3218

AGeez - what is wrong with people?

Even if I did have that opinion about someone I would never write it!

ellavanilla Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 5:23pm
post #2530 of 3218

if this industry were limited to people without mental issues, who would make all the cakes???

 

 

@Shona-Kay what a horrible story. I can't even believe you accommodated her once, not to mention twice. you are a dedicated soul!

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 6:04pm
post #2531 of 3218

The same could be said for my own profession (software).

Pastrybaglady Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 6:45pm
post #2532 of 3218

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellavanilla 
 

if this industry were limited to people without mental issues, who would make all the cakes???

 

 

This cracked me up!  :lol:

ellavanilla Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 9:51pm
post #2533 of 3218

I just got off the phone with someone who wants an "over the hill cake" for SATURDAY, in the shape of a HILL, as in OVER THE HILL. 

 

He wants it filled with Brazillian Cream,  but he's not really sure what that is, and they are still inviting guests to the party for SATURDAY, so they don't have a number.

 

He doesn't like buttercream OR chocolate. 

 

and already having an emotional "crisis" because it took me an hour to renew my drivers license online and when i went to my bank website I had to reenter all new security info, for some reason, so i'm teeth-clenching-bug-eyed frustrated right now. 

 

I should have said, yeah, there' s no way I can make a cake for Saturday, when you don't even know how many guests you are having, but he was referred by a very good client, so,  I explained to him that buttercream was necessary to hold his damned MOUNTAIN together, and that Brazillian custard, whatever that is, is not going to be enough to hold his damned MOUNTAIN together.

 

So he says all PO'd, "have you ever MADE an over-the-hill cake before?" As if I'm the one who needs the education. 

 

That's when he asked me what makes my cakes so special, ANYWAY.

 

I wish I had said, "well you'll never find out, so don't worry about it..."

 

Then he tells me he'll call me back, because they are at lunch. Uhm you called ME, dude!

 

I wish i had a face to rip off right now...

DeniseNH Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 12:31am
post #2534 of 3218

We should start a new thread entitled what NOT to TELL your baker.  Awww, the heck with it, I'll start it.

Shona-Kay Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 2:04am
post #2535 of 3218

A

Original message sent by cazza1

I think that some people on here need to keep in mind that not everyone has the money to buy a custom cake or even the desire to and would not dream of spending a huge amount on their child's birthday cake.  In fact I have never met any kids (apart from my own) that had really fancy cakes.  And even if I had never made a cake before, if I had made 3 tiers, with lumpy fondant and stuck a bought crown on the top the kids would have thought it was fantastic.  Articles like that are not necessarily aimed at the people who would buy a custom cake for their child.  And lets be honest custom cakes are more admired by the adults than the kids.  If your 'little princess' is devastated because her cake is not up to scratch then maybe it is time that she is taught about real life and it's values; like that Mum loves you and went to all this effort to make you happy. And whilst my kids friends used to go nuts over the birthday cakes at my place never once did my kids come home from a party and say ".....they only had a cr...py cake." 

I understand that a lot of people can't afford custom cakes. But at the same time there are many of us on here that only do custom cakes and clients are well aware of that. They see the custom cakes, want the custom cakes and know their budget is for a standard grocery shop cake. To suggest that we have forgotten about people's financial constrains is absurd as we are reminded not only in the costing of our work but also by our own humanity. I think it is the opposite that is often the case. People want what they can't afford at times and are mad and even rude at your suggestion that their wants do not fit within the budget. As someone said kool aud budget but with champagne taste. That's from the Baker side This is a medium that I've grown quite fond of because in our daily lives hardly anyone understands why we get upset when asked our told certain things. We do that here. Nowhere else but here. This is not the place for casting judgement on people for being Upset about something. (From the home side) Additionally the two girls I live with are fully understanding of life and being quite Frank they would greatly be disappointed if they got a regular cake or one that is poorly done like what the article would lead to. The appeal of custom cakes is individualistic and not based on age group it is about preference whether you are a child or not. I personally feel that if someone wants to save money then get the children involved. My nieces gladly assist and think up their own concept for their cake several months in advance and help with the work too. But if the bake it by themselves and it looks like crap, being Baker we are going to have a whale of a time poking fun at it (in our heads of course) nutn wrong with that. It's like living to yourself that you don't find cake wrecks funny regardless of people's values. I'm cracking up jus remembering the last home made princess cake

ch5964 Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 6:32pm
post #2536 of 3218

I think my favorite is " How much do you charge for a standard wedding cake?" 

No other info such as .... how many people are we serving? What type of a cake etc.....

 

:)

Mybearsbaby Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 6:48pm
post #2537 of 3218

A

Original message sent by ch5964

[COLOR=EE82EE][B]I think my favorite is " How much do you charge for a standard wedding cake?" [/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=EE82EE][B]No other info such as .... how many people are we serving? What type of a cake etc.....[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=EE82EE][B]:)[/B][/COLOR]

Lol me too...I had one to write me on my Facebook page yesterday, and all it said was "How much do you charge". Not saying for a birthday, wedding, or what...and no mention of size, type desired or anything...I just laughed and wrote back a casual "It depends on what you had in mind...cake, cupcakes, or cookies and how much, and how intricate". That has pretty much become my standard reply to the "how much" question when no details are provided.

Hoosier Mama Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 8:19pm
post #2538 of 3218

What's really priceless is when they just send you a picture of the cake they want - multiple tiers but no measurements, flavors, how many it needs to feed, etc.  Then they ask you if you can make a cake just like the picture and how much! 

Mybearsbaby Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 10:51pm
post #2539 of 3218

AOk so I just got one and I am still scratching my head...I was nice with my reply but I really was speechless to this one. I have been talking with a woman about doing a cake for her son. We had already discussed price and she had finally decided on a date. I then told her "Great! I will write your date down, and now I just need to get a $25 non refundable deposit and you cab either bring it to me, mail it, etc... This was her response: [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3192695/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

AZCouture Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 11:46pm
post #2540 of 3218

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mybearsbaby 

Ok so I just got one and I am still scratching my head...I was nice with my reply but I really was speechless to this one. I have been talking with a woman about doing a cake for her son. We had already discussed price and she had finally decided on a date. I then told her "Great! I will write your date down, and now I just need to get a $25 non refundable deposit and you cab either bring it to me, mail it, etc...
This was her response:

You've got to be joking. WOW. I'd cut that one loose right now. 

Mybearsbaby Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 12:19am
post #2541 of 3218

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

You've got to be joking. WOW. I'd cut that one loose right now. 

That is almost word for word what my husband said. What is a tactful way of saying " I don't want to make your cake because obviously you have issues" lol ;)

ellavanilla Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 12:21am
post #2542 of 3218

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mybearsbaby 


This was her response:

 

it just doesn't make sense. was she planning on paying...ever??

AZCouture Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 12:25am
post #2543 of 3218

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mybearsbaby 


That is almost word for word what my husband said. What is a tactful way of saying " I don't want to make your cake because obviously you have issues" lol icon_wink.gif

 

I'm serious, that's just too weird. Dang lady, you're in serious financial trouble, yet you're trying to buy a luxurious item. Priorities man, priorities. How about a nice home made cake, with sentimental value? People ever consider that anymore? :D

AZCouture Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 12:25am
post #2544 of 3218

Wonder if her legal troubles have anything to do with fraud. :roll:

Mybearsbaby Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 12:39am
post #2545 of 3218

A

Original message sent by ellavanilla

it just doesn't make sense. was she planning on paying...ever??

Kind makes you wonder, doesn't it.

Original message sent by AZCouture

I'm serious, that's just too weird. Dang lady, you're in serious financial trouble, yet you're trying to buy a luxurious item. Priorities man, priorities. How about a nice home made cake, with sentimental value? People ever consider that anymore? :D

I agree 100%

Original message sent by AZCouture

Wonder if her legal troubles have anything to do with fraud. :roll:

My thoughts exactly.

She seemed very normal just like any other customer up until this point...and as soon as she knew a deposit was required she flipped a switch. And if it were me and I was having all the troubles she is, I wouldn't have come out saying something like that to someone I don't really know. I almost wonder if her plan was to have me make the cake then write a bad check or something...you just never know I guess when dealing with people.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 1:03am
post #2546 of 3218

my brother will say outrageous things like that to 'encourage' the caller to close the phone call--something like if a telemarketer calls you say, "oh good it's you, i thought you were my bankruptcy lawyer"

 

but i mean if the state has her kids how is she able to celebrate her son's birthday? sounds like she mighta just been being outrageous 'cause she didn't want to do the deposit?

 

idk--that's a wad of information to drop in a text to a stranger--

Mybearsbaby Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 1:14am
post #2547 of 3218

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

my brother will say outrageous things like that to 'encourage' the caller to close the phone call--something like if a telemarketer calls you say, "oh good it's you, i thought you were my bankruptcy lawyer"

Lol!

Hoosier Mama Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 3:23am
post #2548 of 3218

Then how did she intend to pay for the cake?

mcaulir Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 3:40am
post #2549 of 3218

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mybearsbaby 

Ok so I just got one and I am still scratching my head...I was nice with my reply but I really was speechless to this one. I have been talking with a woman about doing a cake for her son. We had already discussed price and she had finally decided on a date. I then told her "Great! I will write your date down, and now I just need to get a $25 non refundable deposit and you cab either bring it to me, mail it, etc...
This was her response:

Shut the thread down, we have a winner!

josweetbaker Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 4:19am
post #2550 of 3218

...lol....my favorite post...too funny!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%