Things Not To Ask/say To A Baker!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 1 week ago by -K8memphis

MimiFix Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 4:05am
post #2251 of 3212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 
 

Wow, this thread certainly took a turn, got derailed, and is a complete train wreck...

 

Thanks, Annabakescakes, now we're back to Amtrak.

howsweet Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 4:54am
post #2252 of 3212
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

What the heck did I walk in on?

I wish I could tell you. From my point of view it seems like a missing the forest for trees kind of thing...but I don't want to bring logging into this :D

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

I have one! A lady emailed me about the cake she wanted. She wanted a four tier hand painted cake with orchids. Ok. So I sent her the quote. She says: well, my budget is about $275 but I'm willing to negotiate. Hows $290?

um. No. The quote is the quote and you either got it or you don't got it.

Hahaha - willing to negotiate, you're so "lucky".  How's $290? And your like, how's my original quote - love it :grin:

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 5:25am
post #2253 of 3212

A

Hmm. 2006. A couple years before my time on FPN. And one of the thread's participants died a few weeks ago.

But that's hardly a long thread. At FPN the long threads are like "Spur of the moment: What'cha list'nin' to?" in the members-only "Chatter" section (3,983 replies).

And "MimiFix," let's try not to mention "train wreck" and "Amtrak" in the same post.

"Shasha2727," I'm definitely with you on sharing recipes, so long as they're mine to share. But your comment about being "out of time" reminds me of my favorite Babylon 5 monologue:

Can not run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite. Zathras is finite. This is wrong tool.

Something else not to say to a baker: "Your usual supply dealer went belly-up since the last time you were there." (Just happened to me today: a VACANCY sign on the suite that used to be Orange Novelty Cake Supply. Oh, well, the place was a disorganized mess, and they had a tendency to run out of things at the worst possible times, and let their equipment go to pot. But at least it was convenient.

810whitechoc Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 9:52am
post #2254 of 3212

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetwhimzie 
 

Um, I like cake.:D

hahaha, me too :D

Sparklekat6 Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 5:39pm
post #2255 of 3212

Something else not to say to a baker: "Your usual supply dealer went belly-up since the last time you were there." (Just happened to me today: a VACANCY sign on the suite that used to be Orange Novelty Cake Supply. Oh, well, the place was a disorganized mess, and they had a tendency to run out of things at the worst possible times, and let their equipment go to pot. But at least it was convenient.

 

OMG!!!!  They so were!!!!   And their freaking credit card machine NEVER worked. But now we only have Brea and Orange.....sad panda.  That's why SOUTH COUNTY needs a cake supply store.  Really I'll so help anyone who wants to do this for free.  I just can't quit my job I get paid waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much.  

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 6:31pm
post #2256 of 3212

Thankfully, I'd just established a decent enough working relationship with ABC Cake and supply in Orange. I was a bit worried when I found that their edible printing media seemed a bit tougher than the DecoPac stuff Orange Novelty used, and actually peeled easier if it wasn't chilled, but it seemed to fuse to the frosting just fine, and soften up in the process: as with the previous Leland Award cake, I made sure I got a piece that included edible printing (call me paranoid, but if I'm trying out a new edible printing vendor, I want to be sure that if bad edible printing makes anybody sick, I'd be the first to know; I also peel and eat a scrap of the media when applying it, for the same reason), and while the scrap I ate while applying it was a bit chewier than the DecoPac stuff, the picture and logo certainly weren't tough once they'd been on the cake for 14 hours.

 

Definitely a much longer drive (an extra 10 miles, round trip), and a much longer turnaround time (overnight, vs. while-you-wait), and for some reason, they'll scan hardcopy, or take an emailed JPEG, but they won't take a JPEG on a thumb-drive. Then again, with the distance and the turnaround time, emailing in the JPEG, and placing the order by phone once it's been verified usable, makes a lot of sense.

 

And the place definitely seems a lot cleaner, and better organized.

Sparklekat6 Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 6:37pm
post #2257 of 3212

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 
 

Thankfully, I'd just established a decent enough working relationship with ABC Cake and supply in Orange. I was a bit worried when I found that their edible printing media seemed a bit tougher than the DecoPac stuff Orange Novelty used, and actually peeled easier if it wasn't chilled, but it seemed to fuse to the frosting just fine, and soften up in the process: as with the previous Leland Award cake, I made sure I got a piece that included edible printing (call me paranoid, but if I'm trying out a new edible printing vendor, I want to be sure that if bad edible printing makes anybody sick, I'd be the first to know; I also peel and eat a scrap of the media when applying it, for the same reason), and while the scrap I ate while applying it was a bit chewier than the DecoPac stuff, the picture and logo certainly weren't tough once they'd been on the cake for 14 hours.

 

Definitely a much longer drive (an extra 10 miles, round trip), and a much longer turnaround time (overnight, vs. while-you-wait), and for some reason, they'll scan hardcopy, or take an emailed JPEG, but they won't take a JPEG on a thumb-drive. Then again, with the distance and the turnaround time, emailing in the JPEG, and placing the order by phone once it's been verified usable, makes a lot of sense.

 

And the place definitely seems a lot cleaner, and better organized.

Thats why I was asking if it's just not a good money maker to have a cake supply store?  You'd think that given that we are the 6th largest County in the nation we'd have no trouble supporting several.  Especially with all the people who come on here trying to make a wedding cake at the last minute.  I know I am never prepared enough to order online but maybe it's just me.  I kind of like shopping for those kind of things in person anyway.  

Shasha2727 Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 10:09pm
post #2258 of 3212

First Amtrack, then logging, now Quantum Physics & Time Space Continuums. Wow, CCentral members are a very esoteric group.....My son says time is limitless & irrelevant, unless you are a clock, or a bride waiting for her wedding cake.....Thx to HBQuickcom, I'm going to look up Babylon 5 on Netflix tonight!  

 

Orlando's main baking supply store makes a killing; it's ALWAYS busy, and has a monopoly on supplies for people who don't have (here's that word again) TIME to order online. They charge 15-25% over online sources & restaurant supply, and the owner seems perpetually angry.  She has all these long hand written signs, in all caps saying things like "DO NOT ALLOW YOUR CHILDREN TO TOUCH THESE JARS! WE DO NOT HAVE TIME TO REORGANIZE THEM EVERY DAY!"   "WE DO NOT ACCEPT ANY CREDIT OR DEBIT CARDS ON CHARGES LESS THAN $10! ABSOLUTELY NO EXCEPTIONS!!"  These little love notes are all over the store, making you feel warm & fuzzy about shopping there. But when you've absolutley positively got to have Disco Dust TONIGHT, whatcho gonna do? 

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 11:10pm
post #2259 of 3212

Let's not bring up disco dust again!

Sparklekat6 Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 12:27am
post #2260 of 3212

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shasha2727 
 

First Amtrack, then logging, now Quantum Physics & Time Space Continuums. Wow, CCentral members are a very esoteric group.....My son says time is limitless & irrelevant, unless you are a clock, or a bride waiting for her wedding cake.....Thx to HBQuickcom, I'm going to look up Babylon 5 on Netflix tonight!  

 

Orlando's main baking supply store makes a killing; it's ALWAYS busy, and has a monopoly on supplies for people who don't have (here's that word again) TIME to order online. They charge 15-25% over online sources & restaurant supply, and the owner seems perpetually angry.  She has all these long hand written signs, in all caps saying things like "DO NOT ALLOW YOUR CHILDREN TO TOUCH THESE JARS! WE DO NOT HAVE TIME TO REORGANIZE THEM EVERY DAY!"   "WE DO NOT ACCEPT ANY CREDIT OR DEBIT CARDS ON CHARGES LESS THAN $10! ABSOLUTELY NO EXCEPTIONS!!"  These little love notes are all over the store, making you feel warm & fuzzy about shopping there. But when you've absolutley positively got to have Disco Dust TONIGHT, whatcho gonna do? 

Well that sounds promising then!  ANYONE IN OC WANT TO OPEN A CAKE SUPPLY STORE!!!??  I will help you!  Apparently you can be mean and scary and still make it!  ;)  

Carrie789 Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 6:18pm
post #2261 of 3212

This is a quote from the originator of this thread:

So, i've been looking around the internet and I'm not finding any type of blog or even a website. All of the websites and advice places out there are "what to ask" your baker. 

 

Well, I often get some rude questions from friends and family...and once in a while customers...when it should be something they SHOULD NOT ask! LOL 

 

This thread has been a source of smiles and entertainment for lots of us for months. It was strictly for fun, and it was, until a few days ago when a few of you hijacked it. And for what?  Really not sure. On this thread I don't care about trains, Babylon 5, disco dust, what rude store owner is where, what supplier has closed down, or what your neighbor had for breakfast. And, this was not a thread for catty remarks or judgements about a baker's irritation. It was just fun. It you want to talk about all this other stuff, start a new thread. If you don't, you will have successfully killed this one. And for what? I am at a loss.

 

So, here is my attempt to get back to the fun. I made a four-tier cake for my daughter's wedding along with a two tier groom's cake. The bride wanted three different flavors and three different fillings, but no decorations on the cake--until a week before the wedding when she decided she did want decorations. The groom invited 50 more people at the last minute, so I made two decorated sheet cakes. I also did all the table decorations and was exhausted, but it was a beautiful wedding. Then at the reception, along comes my sister-in-law to  tell me that she likes the groom's cake better because it was "less dry."

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 6:24pm
post #2262 of 3212

"Less dry." Not "moister." Not "softer." Not even "Fresher."

 

"Less dry."

 

Less dry than what? The main cake, or the last-minute sheet cakes? Or all of the above.

 

Hmm. There are some people who go out of their way to take offense, and then there are those who seemingly go out of their way to give it.

MimiFix Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 6:43pm
post #2263 of 3212

Ouch. James, I used to think you just couldn't help yourself. Now I think you're a sly one.

Carrie789 Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 6:09pm
post #2264 of 3212

Didn't go out of my way at all. It's been right up in the faces of those of us who used to enjoy this thread.

Godot Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 6:25pm
post #2265 of 3212

AI still enjoy this thread. It's just "less enjoyable".

Sorry - I couldn't resist.

MimiFix Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 6:39pm
post #2266 of 3212

Yup, still enjoy this thread for the many personalities who post their quirky little thoughts. It helps me remember that we all share this earth.

 

Of course, there's always the option of skipping over the members you don't care for. Sentenced ended in prepositional phrase. Your turn James.

jennicake Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 7:48pm
post #2267 of 3212

I made a two tiered cake for an event at a friend's house recently.  She called me the morning of the party to ask a totally unrelated question, then said "I should let you go, you must be starting to bake now".

 

Do people really think their cakes are baked fresh the morning they receive them?  

dlyoung Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 7:58pm
post #2268 of 3212

I'm just a hobby baker.  I'm retired and enjoy the creative side of cake decorating.  (Gumpaste flowers are my favourite things to make!)  I had a phone call from a lady who wanted a baby shower cake and so I made a two-tier cake (5" and 8", each tier 4" high) with a baby shoe on top.  We didn't talk money because I feel like I learn something every time I make a cake.  As requested, the cakes were chocolate with SMBC, chocolate ganache, and covered in fondant.  When she came to pick the cake up, she handed me $30 and asked me if that was enough.  I smiled and said yes that's fine.  Didn't have the nerve to ask for another $70. I learned from this cake to talk money!  I would like to at least cover my ingredients and maybe make $2 and hour.  :)

MimiFix Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 8:29pm
post #2269 of 3212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicake 
 

Do people really think their cakes are baked fresh the morning they receive them?  

 

Yes. I was a pastry chef for a fine dining restaurant and made all their wedding cakes. Always from my tried and true file. But more than once a bride-to-be told the owner she wanted us to use her recipe. One Friday evening a Saturday bride came in with the recipe. I assume she never knew because the Executive Chef told me she had told everyone it was her very own secret recipe.

cazza1 Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 1:46am
post #2270 of 3212

Things not to say to a baker..........(silence)

I recently sent 15 beautifully decorated gingerbread with orange buttercream cupcakes in to work.  When I went to work the next day only two people said Thank You.  One said that they were the best cupcakes he had ever eaten and stole one to take home to his wife so I knew there was nothing wrong with them ( In fact I already knew how delicious they were because I had more than sampled them).  These are people who constantly nag me to bring in baking.  Needless to say it will be a while before they get any more.

Sooo sometimes saying nothing is worse than saying stupid or greedy things.

Norasmom Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 2:17am
post #2271 of 3212

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 
 

Things not to say to a baker..........(silence)

I recently sent 15 beautifully decorated gingerbread with orange buttercream cupcakes in to work.  When I went to work the next day only two people said Thank You.  One said that they were the best cupcakes he had ever eaten and stole one to take home to his wife so I knew there was nothing wrong with them ( In fact I already knew how delicious they were because I had more than sampled them).  These are people who constantly nag me to bring in baking.  Needless to say it will be a while before they get any more.

Sooo sometimes saying nothing is worse than saying stupid or greedy things.

Saying "Thank you" is so important, yet so overlooked!

MBalaska Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 2:57am
post #2272 of 3212

cazza1:  pearls before swine cazza1......is it better to hoard them or cast them into the pig pen?

damn, it makes me think of how little I've appreciated my parents and all that they've done for me.

I think I'll bake them a cake tomorrow.

810whitechoc Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 12:03pm
post #2273 of 3212

How's this one to help get this thread back on track - I recently moved my business (bought a factory bay after years of renting, with a huge beautiful, modern kitchen already set up in it YAY!).  One of our regular customers came to pick up her grandson's christening cake on Saturday and complained about our new location.  We are about 15 minutes away from where we were.  When I talked to her about it, it turns out that she only lives 5 minutes away from our new location.  Slightly puzzled I asked isn't it easier to only drive 5 mins not 20 to pick up cakes?  No, it seems she likes the supermarket near our old shop and any time she had a cake to pick up would go to the supermarket and then pick up her cakes on the way home.  Whaaaaat??????

 

Can I also add that the road from her house to our factory is a quiet back road with one set of traffic lights, whereas the road to our old location involved going through a major road skirting around a city with a heap of traffic lights, lots of traffic and general aggravation. Maybe I'm a little biased here because I have made that trip more times than I care to count in the last three weeks, before, during and after the move.

cazza1 Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 12:50pm
post #2274 of 3212

810 it's the old saying. 'You just can't please some folks'.

IowaBaker Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 4:42pm
post #2275 of 3212

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 
 

Things not to say to a baker..........(silence)

I recently sent 15 beautifully decorated gingerbread with orange buttercream cupcakes in to work.  When I went to work the next day only two people said Thank You.  One said that they were the best cupcakes he had ever eaten and stole one to take home to his wife so I knew there was nothing wrong with them ( In fact I already knew how delicious they were because I had more than sampled them).  These are people who constantly nag me to bring in baking.  Needless to say it will be a while before they get any more.

Sooo sometimes saying nothing is worse than saying stupid or greedy things.

Ain't THAT the truth! We had a family party yesterday for 3 November birthdays and a cake was made for each of the birthday people. My sister in law made 2 and I made the one for my father in law. I am not a great decorator (strictly beginning hobbyist, no paid cakes), but I put a lot of love and thought into the design. He likes western wear (cowboy clothing) and I baked a horseshoe cake with paisleys on top and what was supposed to be a rope border. In consideration of his lowered appetite (he's in his 80's) I kept the icing thin, didn't layer it adding more icing in the middle, and the horseshoe shape was one that's easy to slice a small piece without leaving a lot of cut surface to dry out.  No thank you for thinking of me or thank you for making it or even "Oh, one for me, too?" And he wouldn't even take some home.

 

And it was MOIST and delicious.

howsweet Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 4:47pm
post #2276 of 3212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicake 
 

I made a two tiered cake for an event at a friend's house recently.  She called me the morning of the party to ask a totally unrelated question, then said "I should let you go, you must be starting to bake now".

 

Do people really think their cakes are baked fresh the morning they receive them?  

Yes. I'm always having people wanting their cake delivered at the last minute because they think it will be fresher. Occasionally they want it delivered an hour into the party...I'm like, you know there could be a traffic jam, right?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 
 

 

Yes. I was a pastry chef for a fine dining restaurant and made all their wedding cakes. Always from my tried and true file. But more than once a bride-to-be told the owner she wanted us to use her recipe. One Friday evening a Saturday bride came in with the recipe. I assume she never knew because the Executive Chef told me she had told everyone it was her very own secret recipe.

That's so crazy!  And she probably thought she was being clever by not giving the recipe until then to insure a fresher cake.

SpeciallyYours Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 5:13pm
post #2277 of 3212

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 
 

Ouch. James, I used to think you just couldn't help yourself. Now I think you're a sly one.

 

:lol:

mcaulir Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 3:09am
post #2278 of 3212

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 
 

Yes. I'm always having people wanting their cake delivered at the last minute because they think it will be fresher. Occasionally they want it delivered an hour into the party...I'm like, you know there could be a traffic jam, right?

 

 

And yet, I had someone ring 5 days before the party and ask if she could pick up the cake that afternoon. I wondered how long she thought I had it finished and sitting around in my kitchen.

Foxrose Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 3:23am
post #2279 of 3212

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaulir 
 

And yet, I had someone ring 5 days before the party and ask if she could pick up the cake that afternoon. I wondered how long she thought I had it finished and sitting around in my kitchen.

 

So true, I had a girl once call me 10 days before her cake was to be picked up and asked me how the cake was going. I was speechless.

savannahquinn Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 4:10pm
post #2280 of 3212

It just never ends...last night I got from a friend who invited me to her xmas party and it also happens to be her sister's bday (don't even know the sister)... (please repeat in a fake British accent- I don't know why she does this).........."If you were so inclined to bring a dessert to my party do you think you could do a small cake with a horse on it?  It's my sister's birthday and she loves horses...")  Me: vacant stare in her direction... Her:  "or maybe a log cabin if a horse is too difficult....small nothing fancy.."  Me:  "A log cabin??" Her:  "Yeah, it's just a bunch of squares isn't it?...Me: "not really..."  then I just downed the rest of my glass of wine.....Really can't I just show up to a party with taco dip like everyone else?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%