manddi Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 10:47am

A

Original message sent by shanter

Exactly. If a store raised their prices by 30% and then offered a 30% off coupon, customers would be lined up at the door when they opened.

On the same note, something for $9.99 will sell quicker than something for $10.

Sweet_Cakes Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 11:24am
Quote:
Originally Posted by manddi 

When I worked retail I found this secret out really quickly...I don't understand it...now my mind is programmed to round up. It works when I really want something that I can't afford...all I do is round up and that prevents me from buying it LOL.

manddi Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 11:37am

A

Original message sent by Sweet_Cakes

When I worked retail I found this secret out really quickly...I don't understand it...now my mind is programmed to round up. It works when I really want something that I can't afford...all I do is round up and that prevents me from buying it LOL.

Ditto! I've even said out loud that item x was $10 and had the salesperson say, "no, it's $9.99."

I usually get a goofy look on my face when someone says that!

thelittlecakery Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 12:22pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunawhisper0013 

Jeez, it's like "Hey, I want to buy a Ferrari but I only have enough for a Kia. That's cool, right?"   Sheesh! 

Now that is the best thing I have heard in a long time!

as you wish Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 12:26pm

A

Original message sent by manddi

Ditto! I've even said out loud that item x was $10 and had the salesperson say, "no, it's $9.99."

Here in Canada where we will no longer have pennies they will still say something is $9.99 but if you give them a ten dollar bill to pay for it you won't get your parry back anymore.

Annabakescakes Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 5:03pm
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Cakes 

Ditto!
I've even said out loud that item x was $10 and had the salesperson say, "no, it's $9.99."

I have had that same thing happen to me many times, and the best way to describe the look on my face is "pity", lol. Pity they are so stupid they can't see it is one cent away from being $10, or pity that they are so dumb, they think I will buy that it is only $9.99. I always round up. even $8.97 is $10 in my head.

Sparklekat6 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 5:16pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelittlecakery 

Now that is the best thing I have heard in a long time!

OMG,  No one is allowed to complain about paying $4 for a cupcake anymore because they are paying SEVEN for a freaking smores!!!!!!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/inventor-cronut-created-hybrid-dessert-222943405.html

Norasmom Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 5:33pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklekat6 

OMG,  No one is allowed to complain about paying $4 for a cupcake anymore because they are paying SEVEN for a freaking smores!!!!!!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/inventor-cronut-created-hybrid-dessert-222943405.html

I actually think $7 is reasonable for that s'more concoction, given it's hand fired and applewood smoked.  Better that than the $1000 hot fudge sundae that is sold with gold leaf on top (somewhere in Manahattan.  Those dummy Kardashian's eat there.)  Apparently there's some really expensive imported chocolate on top. I'm happy with the normal stuff...it all tastes good to me!  As for edible gold leaf, man, they have quite the mark-up!  What I couldn't do with $1000 besides eat ice cream!  And all the hungry little mouths I could feed, too!!

http://icecreamjournal.turkeyhill.com/index.php/2009/09/03/another-look-at-the-worlds-most-expensive-sundae/

Sparklekat6 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 5:36pm

Yeah but you know the amount of work.  The masses don't get it and they can't complain about a $4 cupcake if they are not going to complain about a $7 smores treat.  

kaylawaylalayla Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 6:32pm

AWho says they aren't complaining?

Sassyzan Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 7:04pm

AI've made s'mores from scratch. Homemade marshmallows and graham crackers from scratch with ghirardelli chocolate. It was way more work than cupcakes.

Sparklekat6 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 7:12pm

You could have stopped at homemade marshmallows and I would have paid 7 bucks no complaints!!

Norasmom Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 7:48pm

What's interesting to me is how similar the recipe for homemade marshmallows is to homemade fondant...many of the same ingredients!

costumeczar Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 9:57pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklekat6 

You could have stopped at homemade marshmallows and I would have paid 7 bucks no complaints!!

ooh, me too.

nutcase68 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 10:22pm
Quote:

I put my time in retail for 11 years.  There is a reason things go on sale 10 for $10.  People think they have to buy 10 to get the deal.  They cannot figure out they are a buck a piece and only need to buy one.

onceuponacake Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 11:38pm

AI like when someone picks their design them asks c An I see how nits going to look before i order it? Huh? No

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 12:06am
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcase68 
There is a reason things go on sale 10 for $10.  People think they have to buy 10 to get the deal.

Sometimes they do.

And in my case, I assume that's the case, but still only buy what I actually need, and if I get the deal anyway, I consider it a pleasant surprise.

j92383 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 5:25am

I'm a sucker for minimum requirements for free shipping. I almost always add something extra to get that "deal"

thelittlecakery Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 5:42am

A

Original message sent by j92383

I'm a sucker for minimum requirements for free shipping. I almost always add something extra to get that "deal"

Me too! 20 minutes ago I was on amazon looking for a book and if I spent $7 more shipping was free! So I went hunting for a $7 item just for free shipping

Annabakescakes Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 5:47am
Quote:
Originally Posted by j92383 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelittlecakery 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j92383 

Me too! 20 minutes ago I was on amazon looking for a book and if I spent $7 more shipping was free! So I went hunting for a $7 item just for free shipping

UGH! I am such a sucker for that! I order $70+ at DecoPac even when all I need is a couple tips and icing bags!

Sweet_Cakes Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 9:43am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I have had that same thing happen to me many times, and the best way to describe the look on my face is "pity", lol. Pity they are so stupid they can't see it is one cent away from being $10, or pity that they are so dumb, they think I will buy that it is only $9.99. I always round up. even $8.97 is $10 in my head.

With the tax on it...yeah that sounds about right...before I got into the checkout at the store, I normally will add everything up. Usually I'm rounding up to the nearest dollar, even if something is $1.50.

Sweet_Cakes Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 9:47am
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcase68 

I put my time in retail for 11 years.  There is a reason things go on sale 10 for $10.  People think they have to buy 10 to get the deal.  They cannot figure out they are a buck a piece and only need to buy one.

This drives me crazy...but it's the same reason that they have stuff at the registers...it's too early in the morning for me to remember what it is called, but if you put it under a customer's nose while they wait in line, chances are they are going to buy it. Sneaky tricks to increase the dollar amount of a sale.

manddi Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 10:30am

A

This drives me crazy...but it's the same reason that they have stuff at the registers...it's too early in the morning for me to remember what it is called, but if you put it under a customer's nose while they wait in line, chances are they are going to buy it. Sneaky tricks to increase the dollar amount of a sale.

Product placement? Kinda like putting chocolate bars by tampons.

owatto Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 11:15am
Quote:

Product placement?
Kinda like putting chocolate bars by tampons.

I think my supermarket is doing it wrong, the tampons are next to the condoms!

manddi Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 11:17am

AMine too but they'd sell a lot more chocolate if they put it by the tampons!

DeliciousDesserts Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 11:35am

A

Impulse items

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%