Things Not To Ask/say To A Baker!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 20 Oct 2016 , 2:28pm by ch5964

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 1:28pm
post #1801 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

That has been my experience too. I've also met and worked with many of said parents, thinking the world owes you a living isn't restricted to young people.

And not every young person thinks they're entitled, either. My kids and their friends are all really nice, smart, hardworking kids and they don't have that attitude. Being obnoxious isn't anything new and isn't limited to young people. Adults have been complaining about kids' lack of respect and manners for thousands of years, and the world still seems to turn. What I find amusing about this is that when people complain about "the kids" it's always about people who are the generation younger than they are, and their own age group is excluded from that label of "selfish." icon_rolleyes.gif http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=398104

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 2:30pm
post #1802 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

I wouldn't even do that. My orders have to be paid in full at least three weeks before for wedding cakes. For smaller things I still make them pay in advance. I find that when people pay anything at delivery they tend to forget to pick things up, and I end up stuck with something I don't need. If you order custom furniture they make you pay in full when the order is placed, so why should we be different? custom anything makes it pretty much impossible to transfer that specific item to someone else, so pay in advance or you don't get it.

these are not weddingcakes. Cupcakes..that could probably be resold unless the design is very specific

costumeczar Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 4:29pm
post #1803 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

these are not weddingcakes. Cupcakes..that could probably be resold unless the design is very specific

Right, IF you find someone who wants cupcakes that day. Unless you have a retail shop you might be stuck with them.

SpeciallyYours Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpeciallyYours Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 4:46pm
post #1804 of 3221

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

I would be happy to send cupcakes to everyone, for whatever the going rate is ;-) What does Magnolia do them for?  for 6 for 24? Plus $45 for shipping? I would sell 6 cupcakes for $70 all day, lol!

Right you are!! :D

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 5:31pm
post #1805 of 3221

A

I would be happy to send cupcakes to everyone, for whatever the going rate is ;-) What does Magnolia do them for?  for 6 for 24? Plus $45 for shipping? I would sell 6 cupcakes for $70 all day, lol!

Lol seriously they sounds so fantastic though that I think I would pay $70 for them

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 5:32pm
post #1806 of 3221

AMagnolia cupcakes are really gross!

I was in NY a couple of years ago and was curious about all the fuss.

I bought a cupcake and took one bite. Chewed a little, and then spit it out in my napkin. Threw it away.

I'm ashamed that I stood in line so long for something inedible and costly.

Seriously - why all the hype about Magnolia? There ae dozens of places in NY that do it better.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 5:47pm
post #1807 of 3221

A^^ I wondered this too. Not good at all. I was disappointed

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 5:48pm
post #1808 of 3221

AI had a friend of a customer pick up a cake and say "130.00 for that?" I said yes. It was. 3 layer 12" fondant covered cake with a now stripes and a martini glass on time. She made a face. I said you like it? She said. Not something I would have picked. I said " well that's what your friend picked". RUDE.

costumeczar Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 6:36pm
post #1809 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponacake 

I had a friend of a customer pick up a cake and say "130.00 for that?" I said yes. It was. 3 layer 12" fondant covered cake with a now stripes and a martini glass on time. She made a face. I said you like it? She said. Not something I would have picked. I said " well that's what your friend picked". RUDE.

Wow, that's obnoxious.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 6:42pm
post #1810 of 3221

AI've had Magnolia, although it was at their Chicago store. My biggest takeaway was how small their cupcakes were for the price, especially when Crumbs is round the corner and charging the same obnoxious amount but at least you get more to your cupcake.

mollineau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mollineau Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 6:49pm
post #1811 of 3221

Ha ha I did a Dominican cake and decided to take to my hair dresser they are all Dominican they went crazy over the cake that I did for my bday so my hair dresser beg me to please do the cake for her daughter bday that was in a week so I did a 3 layer 10in 2 pound cake because they like heavy cake i use all the best ingre I took it to the shop and she ask me how much so toll her ok you are my friend I toll her how much I paid for the ingre and just give 1/2 for labor one of her workers said oh and I got my son cake in the wholesale store and it was bigger and paid less now these cake are premade frozen they com from we don't know were and when eat them they give you stomach act my friend face charge I could see it is like she feel she should have paid less am sorry never again even do I toll her how much I paid for the ingre she still didn't look happy she love the taste but didn't like the price am new at baking and I don't know how to use cheap ingredents icon_sad.gif

SmoochiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SmoochiesCreations Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 7:00pm
post #1812 of 3221

I had a customer ask for a red velvet cake with cream cheese icing covered with fondant and sculpted figure. I knew she wouldn't be able to afford much and she was a friend of my husband so I quoted her $90, should have charged $180 with my normal pricing. Good deal right? Her response that's still a lot of money to pay for a cake. What would it cost if I baked and iced the cake and you decorate it? icon_confused.gif I told her the only way you could get this cake cheaper is to make it yourself. To teach her a lesson I offered to come to her house and teach her how to make the cake for $50 but she would have to bake the cake, buy the materials and have all the supplies and to plan to take about 7-8 hours to decorate. She spent $45 on materials plus $50 for me so she spent $95 on the cake and when we finished the cake at 1am she said I should have just paid you to make it. icon_twisted.gif I win :D She will never get a discounted price from me again.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 7:01pm
post #1813 of 3221

I love the order for one very involved shower cake for two different mothers-to-be, plus two gluten free cupcakes and two regular vanilla cupcakes.................for 12 people.   And how much would that be................................sheesh! 

lunawhisper0013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lunawhisper0013 Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 10:58pm
post #1814 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoochiesCreations 

I had a customer ask for a red velvet cake with cream cheese icing covered with fondant and sculpted figure. I knew she wouldn't be able to afford much and she was a friend of my husband so I quoted her $90, should have charged $180 with my normal pricing. Good deal right? Her response that's still a lot of money to pay for a cake. What would it cost if I baked and iced the cake and you decorate it? icon_confused.gif I told her the only way you could get this cake cheaper is to make it yourself. To teach her a lesson I offered to come to her house and teach her how to make the cake for $50 but she would have to bake the cake, buy the materials and have all the supplies and to plan to take about 7-8 hours to decorate. She spent $45 on materials plus $50 for me so she spent $95 on the cake and when we finished the cake at 1am she said I should have just paid you to make it. icon_twisted.gif I win :D She will never get a discounted price from me again.

And that, is why you are my hero...LOL great job!

MissMona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissMona Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 4:35am
post #1815 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassyzan 

Yep...see the latest debacle at Jc Penney. Thy lowered their prices and eliminated coupons and no one would shop there. Once you introduce coupons, customers defy logic and their own financial interests looking a deal. They don't care about price and value. They want a sale.

I have to disagree.  I found shoes there I LOVED.  I bought three pairs in different colors on three different occasions.  I paid $19.99.  The original price was $25, which I paid for one pair.  When they redid the store and "lowered" the prices, I wanted to replace a pair the dog chewed.....they were $39.99!  I told the sales associate I misunderstood, I had heard they lowered the prices.....she said some things went up.  I haven't been shopping there because of that.  

ButterandMilk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButterandMilk Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 6:45am
post #1816 of 3221

I am new to Cake Central and reading everyone's comments are hilarious! Finally, I don't think myself is being biatchy for thinking the customer is asking all the stupid questions and asking mission impossible for a ridiculous price. hehehehe I don't feel alone dealing with this type of customer and I have picked up few tricks of how to reply those questions next time. Thanks everyone icon_biggrin.gif

kikiandkyle Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 1:19pm
post #1817 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMona 

I have to disagree.  I found shoes there I LOVED.  I bought three pairs in different colors on three different occasions.  I paid $19.99.  The original price was $25, which I paid for one pair.  When they redid the store and "lowered" the prices, I wanted to replace a pair the dog chewed.....they were $39.99!  I told the sales associate I misunderstood, I had heard they lowered the prices.....she said some things went up.  I haven't been shopping there because of that.  

They have returned to the original 'sale a week' pricing strategy. So your shoes are probably still $39.99 but there will be a 30% off sticker permanently attached to them.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 2:55pm
post #1818 of 3221

AI get coupons for jcpenny all the time ($10 off) but in the fine print there is a super long list of things that the coupon doesn't apply to... practically everything in the store I think...

mollineau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mollineau Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 4:16pm
post #1819 of 3221

On line you have to be very careful on what web even the big name I was in my email checking it got an email for a  thermometer for only 9.95 and get free shipping  so I said o wow I need one for making candy and the sugar for my bcream so I proceed to shop for it I had lots of offers that didn't take only want the thermometer at the end they said to get the free shipping you have to sign up for our news letter ok its not so bad they have good things put my Visa paid said you only pay 9.95 ok so saw the invoice 9.95 and 00 shipping but this morning I went to check on my account there is 20.00 of  why I call the company they toll me they were sorry the had to charge me 10.00 extra because it was going to the USVI now the online invoice never said 10.00 extra for the USVI it said than you for  for shopping with us I notice 3 invoice for the same item that's what made me look in my account I had to fight with them I know is only 20 but I did not authorize the for and ex 10 so I call my bank and then call them back toll them I was going to take action they toll me ok we will refund 20 back but is already out can you ship it back to us at a deffrent address I told them are you going to pay me to ship it back the said no that's on me oh no am going to to tell the post man to keep it they didn't want that because it was going to a defferent address I said am sorry you should have not charge me an ex 10 icon_mad.gif

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 5:35pm
post #1820 of 3221

APpl have no idea hiw much time, labor and love cakes take. I really hate rude ppl

One lady came on said she was interested In ordering a red velvet cake but he liked her own recipe but would try one of ours. Took a bite and sai it's good but I like mine better. Can I buy your icing though? Hahahahah NOOOOO. My icing likes to go on my cake. It's monogamous. Lol

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 5:54pm
post #1821 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponacake 

Ppl have no idea hiw much time, labor and love cakes take. I really hate rude ppl

One lady came on said she was interested In ordering a red velvet cake but he liked her own recipe but would try one of ours. Took a bite and sai it's good but I like mine better. Can I buy your icing though? Hahahahah NOOOOO. My icing likes to go on my cake. It's monogamous. Lol

Love this!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 7:59pm
post #1822 of 3221

Just love, love, love the Cake Central Forums!  It's like coming out of a dark cave discovering so many bakers and decorators from around the world. Awesome.

I am not a professional baker, or commercial, and do not have a business.....Just a hobby baker and YET:  It's all the same stories.  And it is comforting, and encouraging.!

An old co-worker asked me to make a huge cake for his retirement for 150 people. and he wanted it to be decorated really specifically.  As a co-worker I said I'd do it for only $1.00 a serving, (my estimated cost) but he'd have to pay the cost/shipping cost for the store bought decorations he wanted to put on top.  He and his wife acted like I was a bank robber! 

All of these co-workers had eaten my cakes/cookies/candies etc. for free for years.   They were my original 'Guinea Pigs". 

He said he'd shop around and get back to me.  In the end......there was NO CAKE at the party.  None.

'No good deed goes unpunished'.  although, I am glad that I got years of practice, even at my own expense.

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 8:41pm
post #1823 of 3221

A good friend of mine emailed and sent a picture of this two tiered baby shower cake.  She asked if I could do the baby animal designs on it it, but just do a 1/2 sheet cake.  No fondant, just buttercream.  So, I told her I would do it for $100, which is cheaper than my regular half sheets anyway, including the animals. She said, yeah, we weren't looking to spend that much.  She then said she would just make some kind of cupcakes that either had actual popcorn on them or looked like popcorn. Oookkay.

Same friend that always invites me to family gigs and says "you can bring a cake, right?"  I usually don't go icon_biggrin.gif.  A little iffy on the "friend" thing.

I'm lucky in that I don't have to deal directly with the clients very often.  We have a wedding coordinator for the cake consultations, and she just discusses with me the details and handles it. And our receptionist handles the birthday cake orders, and then comes to me.  I like it that way.

It's funny that some don't care on price, while others are cheapskates.  I had one bride want sugar diamonds to flow down this Tiffany Blue fondant, 3 tiered cake with a big bow on top.  We ended up spending a lot for 400 sugar diamonds (which was a little short) and I charged her $11 a person.  Didn't bat an eye.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 2:58am
post #1824 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

He said he'd shop around and get back to me.  In the end......there was NO CAKE at the party.  None.

LUV this story!!!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 7:28am
post #1825 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

LUV this story!!!

No kidding! That is just amazing. 

SpeciallyYours Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpeciallyYours Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 4:48pm
post #1826 of 3221

A

No kidding! That is just amazing. 

:D Yup...people NEVER cease to amaze me!

nyclightskin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nyclightskin Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 4:56pm
post #1827 of 3221

What I don't understand about people.. YOU DONT go into McDonald and walk out with food for free.. So, why are bakers suppose to be different.. Then the food that they serve at mcdonald will leave you unsatified and its horrible for your..YET you will pay 20.00 for that.. and moan and groan about a cake.. THAT you want!

kikiandkyle Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 5:40pm
post #1828 of 3221

AUh I used to work for McDonald's and trust me, plenty of people try to leave there with free food. It's like Mecca for people who think causing a stink will get them a freebie (and it usually does).

nyclightskin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nyclightskin Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 7:51pm
post #1829 of 3221

LOL ---

Shona-Kay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shona-Kay Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 10:12pm
post #1830 of 3221

i have a new one for you guys

[url=http://postimg.org/image/wg3av24g7/][/url]

http://postimg.org/image/wg3av24g7/ dont know which of those would work

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kMYHhcNI4yc/S_BRDLkysyI/AAAAAAAAAPk/SvjobwK1SGM/s320/IMG_2604.JPG

http://www.wedding-flowers-and-reception-ideas.com/images/cupcake-wedding-cakes02.jpg

http://www.thecupcakeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Stunning-Cupckaes-Topped-with-Sugar-Flowers.png

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6070/6157888057_e0203412e9_z.jpg

all those links points to what the customer-my friend- wants. 300 cupcakes plus those cakes. i know she doesnt have much money and her mother is making the cake for her and she wants me to do the decoration. i told her i wouldnt charge her but she needs to get the ingredients for the decorating part (all of which have to be imported). i told her that the time she chose for her wedding is going to be tricky because i am a teacher and that is when i have to mark exam scripts for over 500 different students and write on their reports. i told her that in our climate the gumpaste flowers will have to be made weeks in advance because it wont dry.

she asked for the total cost and i reminded her that my labour was free and her mothers labour was free so why would she want the total cost. none the less i told her. the following day she responds " she has come to realize it is not within her budget and she cant spend more than  (equivalent us 300) on everything. and i should  just make the regular ugly ones with the white swirly thingy"

it was after talking to a friend of mine (sells cakes in my area) that she made me realize what she said. SINCE WHEN DO I MAKE UGLY CAKES?! IM A ROOKEY AND EVERY CAKE IVE DONE AND POSTED IN A FIRST TIME CAKE. I SHOULD MAKE THE REGULAR UGLY ONES BECAUSE SHE REALIZES A PAUPER CANT HAVE A PRINCESS WEDDING! 

TO MAKE IT WORSE SHE SAID I AM ALWAYS SHOWING HER THE NEGATIVES! WTH!

put it this way teachers get more than double the work as our US counterparts and after tax, in all honesty, $300 coming out of our salarys for cake is virtually all of the salary. no joke. so i understand. but i'm pissed because ive been telling her for months that if she wanted all that cake for maximum 80guests she need'nt give them more than plain or chocolate or some other cheaper thing like that. but she was so strung up on her massive cake meadow that she thought i was fighting against her simply because i was looking out for her. now that reality has set in and she is depressed im trying to cheer her up but these words still eat away @ me "So what you dont want me to have anything good?!" 

did she expect me to foot that import bill and eat from a trash can cause it would make me broke?

was she trying the guilt trip what she says nevermind she'll just have her fiance bakery just slap some regular icing on it?

i dunno but i'm offended from all this

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%