Things Not To Ask/say To A Baker!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 20 Oct 2016 , 2:28pm by ch5964

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 1:05am
post #1441 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I'm going to start pressing my card into the checkout persons hand, and the people behind me at the store, and say "call me! Well talk more later!" Ooh! Ooh! I have a stamper with my business info on it, I will just stamp their hands! Bwahahaha!

You're just not right.  That must be why we love you.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 3:43am
post #1442 of 3221

A

Original message sent by cakealicious7

Awww I hope he's ok, its so heartbreaking when they have to suffer at a young age : (

Thanks, he's doing great now, it'll be like it never happened by the time I'm done paying for it all...

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 5:38am
post #1443 of 3221

A"But I can get two tiered fondant cakes for 50-55 people for 75 $, cause I got it like that"

WeekendBaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeekendBaking Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 6:21am
post #1444 of 3221

Client: How much is a cupcake?

Baker: Asks how many pcs does client need so baker can quote her a good price

Client: (out of nowhere mentioned another seller)  So-so's cupcakes are quite good

Baker muttered under her breath: then go buy from her, what are you bothering me for if you like her cupcakes?

Same client bought lemon cake then later feedbacked that it was a bit sour ( I make it a point to bake extra so I can have a taste before the cake goes out, thought it was fine) I'm like, of course it has some sourness to it, it's lemon icon_cry.gif

Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth the time and effort to make something from scratch for a client like that. I've vowed not to accept any orders from that client ever again.

lklk123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lklk123 Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 6:49am
post #1445 of 3221

5. Stuff the football boots with newspaper to take care of shape in order to help extract any moisture. If your boots are very wet, you might want to replace the newspaper daily.

6. Permit the football boots to dry inside a natural heat.

Warning: Drying the boots with heat could potentially cause the football boots being stiff and also the adhesives can deteriorate. Stiff boots are far more gonna rip and are weak. Deteriorated adhesives may make joints weak, including the join between your upper along with the sole plate. Additionally, heat drying your football boots may cause your soleplate to warp.

7. Once dry, grease the studs, Vaseline will work for this. This will likely prevent rusting in the event the boots are screw-in, it will also prevent soil from staying with the studs.

8. In the event the boots are leather, they are often polished to retain their colour.www.soccerpro2013.co.uk

lklk123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lklk123 Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 6:50am
post #1446 of 3221

5. Stuff the football boots with newspaper to take care of shape in order to help extract any moisture. If your boots are very wet, you might want to replace the newspaper daily.

6. Permit the football boots to dry inside a natural heat.

Warning: Drying the boots with heat could potentially cause the football boots being stiff and also the adhesives can deteriorate. Stiff boots are far more gonna rip and are weak. Deteriorated adhesives may make joints weak, including the join between your upper along with the sole plate. Additionally, heat drying your football boots may cause your soleplate to warp.

7. Once dry, grease the studs, Vaseline will work for this. This will likely prevent rusting in the event the boots are screw-in, it will also prevent soil from staying with the studs.

8. In the event the boots are leather, they are often polished to retain their colour. mercurialkicks

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 10:11am
post #1447 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I'm going to start pressing my card into the checkout persons hand, and the people behind me at the store, and say "call me! Well talk more later!" Ooh! Ooh! I have a stamper with my business info on it, I will just stamp their hands! Bwahahaha!

You crack me up...it's so early and I needed that laugh!

Sammikat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammikat Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 11:02am
post #1448 of 3221

I'm just a hobby baker too. One line I hate aswell is "Wow, you should go on Masterchef!". Obviously they don't know the difference between cooking and baking -_-

Sammikat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammikat Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 11:11am
post #1449 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdramaqueen 

Mine is: why do you use those weird colours on your cakes??  I really detest that question, why do you think there are so many colours available?

I would just say "I'm sorry you didn't know. Cake is an art form, so like PAINT, we have many COLOURS. If the rainbows not enough, I know a leprechaun who would happily change this for you". Some people have no appreciation for bakers icon_evil.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 11:30am
post #1450 of 3221

A

Original message sent by kaylawaylalayla

"But I can get two tiered fondant cakes for 50-55 people for 75 $, cause I got it like that"

Just start acting all excited and say "oh my God, if you can get it for that amount you'd better go get it before they realize they're making $2 an hour! Really, run! GO! GO! Why are you still here, GO AWAY QUICKLY!"

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 12:06pm
post #1451 of 3221

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

Just start acting all excited and say "oh my God, if you can get it for that amount you'd better go get it before they realize they're making $2 an hour! Really, run! GO! GO! Why are you still here, GO AWAY QUICKLY!"

LOVE!!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 4:15pm
post #1452 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Ok, this is my new favorite. :) 

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 4:41pm
post #1453 of 3221

AThings my mom says to me,

why does the frosting taste so buttery? Hey I volunteered you to do a 2 year old birthday cake the same weekend you have to make a huge wedding cake, that's ok right? What is that fondant stuff, why do you have to put it on there (they ordered it) no body likes it. Why do you have to do three layers inside, wouldn't two be easier?

My mom is silly :p.

j92383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j92383 Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 7:43pm
post #1454 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Absolutely love this. I can just see the dumbfounded look on their face lol

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 8:42pm
post #1455 of 3221

A

Original message sent by jgifford

[QUOTE name="Annabakescakes" url="/t/751860/things-not-to-ask-say-to-a-baker/1395#post_7406507"] I'm going to start pressing my card into the checkout persons hand, and the people behind me at the store, and say "call me! Well talk more later!" Ooh! Ooh! I have a stamper with my business info on it, I will just stamp their hands! Bwahahaha![/QUOTE]

You're just not right.  That must be why we love you.

Original message sent by Sweet_Cakes

![/QUOTE] You crack me up...it's so early and I needed that laugh!

I am going to have to find a women's group of some sort when my 4 year old starts school. I need more friends :-) I was only half kidding, lol!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 8:49pm
post #1456 of 3221

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

[quote name="kaylawaylalayla" url="/t/751860/things-not-to-ask-say-to-a-baker/1395#post_7406609"]"But I can get two tiered fondant cakes for 50-55 people for 75 $, cause I got it like that"

Just start acting all excited and say "oh my God, if you can get it for that amount you'd better go get it before they realize they're making $2 an hour! Really, run! GO! GO! Why are you still here, GO AWAY QUICKLY!"[/quote]

I have absolutely told people over the phone, and in consultations, when they tried to haggle and say so and so bakery will do it for $XXX , that it wasn't worth it to me to make it for any less, so if they could find one as good as mine, then please snatch it up before the baker realizes they aren't making any money. And they normally decide to go with me, anyway. And if they don't, oh well!

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 8:55pm
post #1457 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylawaylalayla 

why does the frosting taste so buttery?

I'd answer that one with something like, "You want it should taste like axle grease?"

Sweet_Cakes Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 10:21pm
post #1458 of 3221

OMG...I wish CC had a like button for comments! You guys are hilarious! Must be a Friday!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 11:36pm
post #1459 of 3221

A

Original message sent by hbquikcomjamesl

I'd answer that one with something like, "You want it should taste like axle grease?"

Bahajaha

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 1:07am
post #1460 of 3221

Mmmmm, axle grease! icon_lol.gif

rococo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rococo Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 8:06am
post #1461 of 3221

Someone I supply on a regular basis. "I'll be sending my staff over to yr studio, please teach them all you know about your HOBBY!!" I support myself and son practicing my HOBBY!

costumeczar Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 10:24am
post #1462 of 3221

A

Original message sent by rococo

Someone I supply on a regular basis. "I'll be sending my staff over to yr studio, please teach them all you know about your HOBBY!!" I support myself and son practicing my HOBBY!

Did they really say that? I'd reply that I'm glad to do staff training seminars, the cost is $100 per hour per person and they have to supply the location and materials.

rococo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rococo Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 10:38am
post #1463 of 3221

Good idea! Perhaps we can go on vacation this yearthumbs_up.gif

hannerzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hannerzer Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 5:22am
post #1464 of 3221

AMy mom complains about buttery frosting as well. :3

costumeczar Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 10:39am
post #1465 of 3221

A

Original message sent by hannerzer

My mom complains about buttery frosting as well. :3

This might be too mean to do to your mother, but I once made up a bunch of icing for a decorating class that had about half a container of salt in it. The kids in the class had been sucking icing out of the bags and saying that they "couldn't resist," so the salt icing taught them real quick that yes, they could resist.

I bet a cake iced with salty icing would make the complainers shut up real fast if they got to switch back to normal icing.

Sweet_Cakes Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 12:04pm
post #1466 of 3221

Bahahahaha!!!! I would totally do this! ^^^^^^

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 2:04pm
post #1467 of 3221

I made a batch of icing once at my moms and the butter had gone rancid in the freezer.  It made for great practice icing since it tasted bad.  I could practice, scrape it off the bottom of the pan and re-use it over and over and over with absolutely no temptation to snack on any.

Pyssling Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyssling Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 3:18pm
post #1468 of 3221

First of all <3 this thread!

It's been really helpful on how to handle and see how others handle complicated situations. 

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 3:23pm
post #1469 of 3221

A

Original message sent by Pyssling

First of all <3 this thread!

It's been really helpful on how to handle and see how others handle complicated situations. 

And your second point is... What?

costumeczar Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 6:21pm
post #1470 of 3221

A

Original message sent by manddi

And your second point is... What?

That it was helpful? That's how I read it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%