Things Not To Ask/say To A Baker!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 20 Oct 2016 , 2:28pm by ch5964

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 28 May 2013 , 11:05pm
post #1231 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

I had two calls on Sunday afternoon (don't ask me why I answered the phone, I don't know!). First person asked me if I could make a Bundt cake. Of course I can make a Bundt cake. When, what, where...? She needed it for Memorial Day. :( Before I could tell her that I was on vacay (NO! I don't know why I answered the phone!), she asked me if I specialized in Bundt cakes.

*sigh*

" I make all kinds of specialty cakes to suit my customers' needs."

"Oh, I want the place that specializes in Bundt cakes."

"Uhm, I think they have Bundt cake in the name..." 

"They have Bundt in the name?"

(Am I being pranked? You know that there is a company that specializes in Bundt cakes, but you don't know that it's called Nothing Bundt Cakes? At this point I just want to hang up...but I persevere...) I feel like I'm in that scene from Big Fat Greek Wedding... "It's a BunnnnnT! "Boun?" "BunnT!" 

Then I get a call asking if I can make cupcakes. Of course. When? "Today. I only need one for my daughter." 

(Well King of Good Planning, why aren't you in your car hauling ass to the grocery store?)

Nope, can't make you one cupcake for today. I only bake to order...minimum order...blah blah blah. Yet I feel like I've somehow let him down. I stop answering and miss a call from a legitimate referral for a wedding cake. ouch.gif

Does he know that there are like 50 specialty cupcake shops in Orange County?  I swear some people never leave their house.  

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 28 May 2013 , 11:51pm
post #1232 of 3221

I can't believe the Nothing Bundt Cakes franchises popping up - a lady my aunt knows asked an employee at the store in Omaha if she would share the recipe (he he he) and the employee said "I would love to, but all we do is add water to a mix!"

Isn't it amazing what concepts people are able to franchise?

Liz

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 29 May 2013 , 12:20am
post #1233 of 3221

Nothing Bundt cakes taste pretty good, but a lot of their hype is "decor" related.  The shops are cutesy, the boxes are cutesy, and the cakes themselves, well they're just bundt cakes with a PLASTIC flower on top.  

liz at sugar Posted 29 May 2013 , 12:32am
post #1234 of 3221

My aunt had the mini Bundt cakes at a work meeting, and she agreed that they were delicious.  Said her boss couldn't believe the bill for 200 mini cakes. icon_biggrin.gif 

Liz

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 29 May 2013 , 12:43am
post #1235 of 3221

I think that is really lovely of you Crazy-Gray.  It is also the sort of wonderful customer service that can do more for free advertising than most.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 29 May 2013 , 2:33am
post #1236 of 3221

"We want a pregnant belly cake. It's going to be the centerpiece, and then we are going to get a sheet cake from somewhere else, so just make it as small as you can."

icon_mad.gif icon_mad.gif icon_mad.gif 

Yeah, cuz I want to make a minuscule pregnant belly cake so you can serve that to 5 people while everyone else gets crap sheet cake from Wal-Mart. 

liz at sugar Posted 29 May 2013 , 3:10am
post #1237 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeCake615 

"We want a pregnant belly cake. It's going to be the centerpiece, and then we are going to get a sheet cake from somewhere else, so just make it as small as you can."

icon_mad.gif icon_mad.gif icon_mad.gif

Yeah, cuz I want to make a minuscule pregnant belly cake so you can serve that to 5 people while everyone else gets crap sheet cake from Wal-Mart. 

All I can see is a tiny pregnant belly cake a la "Spinal Tap", like the tiny Stonehenge.  I would make it serve 1, and it would be hilarious. :)

Liz

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 29 May 2013 , 3:18am
post #1238 of 3221

AGet a cadburys creme egg, chop it in half and cover it. Now that's small!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 29 May 2013 , 3:50am
post #1239 of 3221

A

Original message sent by kikiandkyle

Get a cadburys creme egg, chop it in half and cover it. Now that's small!

2 M&m's and a whopper!

Annabakescakes Posted 29 May 2013 , 3:50am
post #1240 of 3221

A

Original message sent by kikiandkyle

Get a cadburys creme egg, chop it in half and cover it. Now that's small!

2 M&M's and a Whopper, covered in fondant!

PTDixieGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTDixieGal Posted 29 May 2013 , 3:57am
post #1241 of 3221

Speaking as a cashier...

While most cashiers are college age or retired, SOME ARE NOT. I've got a college degree and I got out of that field and went back to cashiering because for the most part, it's less stressful. HOWEVER, I read this and had to reply.

Originally Posted by sfandm View Post

Not a customer related story, but similar-

My local grocery store had Hershey's Milk Chocolate morsels on clearance for .99 per 12 oz.bag, I got all 67 bags (huge baking ingredients sale that week, I lucked out)

so anyway,

I get up to the checkout and this ditzy blonde teeny-bopper girl starts ringing me up; at about bag 11 I tell her, I have 67 if you just want to ring up the quantity key.

She says 'that works' then proceeds to ask me 'are you gonna do some baking with all of these chocolate chips?' to which I smart-assily reply-

"No, I was just gonna take them all home and open the bags up on my newly finished front porch and watch to see how long they would take to melt".

Yes, I said that and I don't regret it either. She just kinda looked at me, but the much older gentleman bagging the chips gave me a horrid look.

Oh, well! 

End of quote.

Granted her question wasn't the greatest one (in my opinion, she should have asked WHAT you were baking), however, she was just trying to make conversation.

MissMona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissMona Posted 29 May 2013 , 6:09am
post #1242 of 3221

I got another one.  I'm sorry, reading other posts makes me remember odd things.  

One weekend several years ago I had two weddings, both were bc two tier (6" & 8") with almost the SAME monogram!!! (One letter different)  Anyway, I had been covered up for months and needed a break, so when I scheduled these two I told them I would need to deliver the day before otherwise I couldn't take the order.  They both agreed.  So, the day before I meet with them and give them the cakes.  They both had asked for pillars so everything was finished, but putting the top cake on....  So, I tell them to just set the cakes on the counter, out of direct sunlight and they will be fine.  One said she wanted to refrigerate her cake and I told her no, I don't do that once they are decorated as condensation could cause issue with the icing.  Okay, all is well and we go out of town.  The next day I get a phone call from a crazy bride screaming at me that I have ruined her wedding!!!!  I thought I would pass out!  I couldn't imagine what could have happened.  So, she calms down to tell me that her monogram just ran off the cake and the flower colors ran....I asked her, "did you put it in the refrigerator?"  she says, "Well, yes!  We had to leave it at the church and they have MICE!!!!!"  

Sure, THAT'S my fault!  icon_confused.gif

Mark With A B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mark With A B Posted 29 May 2013 , 6:42am
post #1243 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

Pat a cake, Pat a cake, Bakers Man

Decorate cake as fast as you can

Cover with flowers decoratively

Price it to give away almost for free

Ohh and 9 tiers thanks.

I love this...seems to be the theme lately..freebies galore!

owatto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
owatto Posted 29 May 2013 , 9:00am
post #1244 of 3221

Today I took cupcakes to work to share as part of the Australias biggest morning tea lunch that we were having. 
They were nothing special just a chocolate cupcake with strawberry, I make my strawberry buttercream with a punnet of strawberries that I wiz up in the food processor. 
So someone notices that a few people only had half a cupcake then left the rest sitting on their napkin, and asked if they didn't like it. Within full earshot (well I was sitting next to them) one replied: "Oh It tastes too much like real strawberries, normal strawberry cupcakes from the shop dont taste like that." And the other person agreed that it shouldn't taste like actual strawberries, it should be "strawberry flavoured" 

What sort of world do we live in that people don't like my strawberry buttercream because they want it to taste artificial. 

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 29 May 2013 , 9:13am
post #1245 of 3221

A@ owatto people just don't appreciate quality.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 May 2013 , 10:24am
post #1246 of 3221

A

Original message sent by owatto

Today I took cupcakes to work to share as part of the Australias biggest morning tea lunch that we were having. 

They were nothing special just a chocolate cupcake with strawberry, I make my strawberry buttercream with a punnet of strawberries that I wiz up in the food processor. 

So someone notices that a few people only had half a cupcake then left the rest sitting on their napkin, and asked if they didn't like it. Within full earshot (well I was sitting next to them) one replied: "Oh It tastes too much like real strawberries, normal strawberry cupcakes from the shop dont taste like that." And the other person agreed that it shouldn't taste like actual strawberries, it should be "strawberry flavoured" 

What sort of world do we live in that people don't like my strawberry buttercream because they want it to taste artificial. 

Now I thought I'd found a new low, but I think this is it. I know one person who doesn't even do strawberry cake anymore because people were complaining that it wasn't neon pink. I had a client complain that there was no strawberry cake on the tier that was supposed to be strawberry, and I had to tell her that those red bits in the cake were the cup and a half of strawberries in her 8" tier, and that it wasn't food coloring pink, but yes, it was full of strawberry.

Take a look at my Facebook page, I found the next greatest crap food product in th supermarket the other day and posted a photo. I'm on my ipad now so I can't post it, but here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151445128448671&set=pb.92855088670.-2207520000.1369823038.&type=3&theater

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 29 May 2013 , 12:03pm
post #1247 of 3221

AWow. Cause the box takes so much time & a bowl. Wow.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 May 2013 , 12:32pm
post #1248 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

Wow. Cause the box takes so much time & a bowl. Wow.

they also had a brownie mix and funfetti cupcake mix in the shakers. Yum...not.

Pyro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyro Posted 29 May 2013 , 4:17pm
post #1249 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by owatto 

I would laugh, shake my head and walk away. There's just nothing you can say to people like that, if you open it up it will just take too long of your valuable time. These people usually " know everything ".

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 29 May 2013 , 5:27pm
post #1250 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I had that happen with a young ladies graduation cake. It was a half sheet with an 8x10 of her on inequality side. There were about 60 guests there and spoiled twit had her mother cut the half with the writing into 60 pieces, and wouldn't let her cut the edible image.... Dummy...they ate around the face for a few days, Finally 3 days later, her younger sister just hacked right across it. Lol!

I'm reading this thread from start to finish and y'all have me cracking up over here...but this one just did me in...LOL

Annabakescakes Posted 29 May 2013 , 5:33pm
post #1251 of 3221

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

[QUOTE name="DeliciousDesserts" url="/t/751860/things-not-to-ask-say-to-a-baker/1200#post_7398536"] Wow. Cause the box takes so much time [/QUOTE] they also had a brownie mix and funfetti cupcake mix in the shakers. Yum...not.

And exactly how long before we some some "newbie" posting questions about "can I replace the water with almond milk?" Or "how much pudding do I add to the jug of cupcake slop?" "How do I make my jug of slop work for a lemon flavor" and "how many jugs do I need to make a 12" tier?"

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 29 May 2013 , 6:06pm
post #1252 of 3221

ABahahaha!

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

"how many jugs do I need to make a 12" tier?"

SweetTzippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTzippy Posted 29 May 2013 , 6:18pm
post #1253 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by owatto 

People have their taste buds so accustomed to the artificial flavors that they can't appreciate good quality real fruit flavor and strawberry is always a tricky one, both flavor & color.  If you only use the real fruit, the cake will not be that bright pink obtained with artificial food coloring. 

As far as cost goes, ingredients are more expensive if fresh fruits are used, but unfortunately many times, not appreciated!

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 29 May 2013 , 6:37pm
post #1254 of 3221

AI recently made a strawberry cake for my sister's boyfriend. I used a compound that is natural - no colors or fake stuff. No chunks either, but I didn't think it would matter since the smell & flavor came through so well. My sister told me that as his family ate the cake, they were concerned that they weren't eating actual strawberries. Even though I used a very expensive compound & the flavor was great, they wanted to eat chunks.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 30 May 2013 , 5:59am
post #1255 of 3221

AMy strawberry marble recipe uses both seedless jam and McCormick artificial strawberry extract (which appears to be, if memory serves, real strawberry cut with apple). The one my mom made for me, back when I had a single-digit age, was based on strawberry Quik.

Sweet_Cakes Posted 30 May 2013 , 3:37pm
post #1256 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

We have model trains and flying planes as expensive hobbies. Do I hear juggling completely-diamond-encrusted chainsaws? No?

LMBO....Thanks Shanter for the laugh!

Sweet_Cakes Posted 30 May 2013 , 3:54pm
post #1257 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Gray 

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm that sounds divine!! I have to try that- it's on my Sunday to do list now (it replaced 'tidy up house')

Sounds like me...procrastination in the name of art!

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 30 May 2013 , 4:18pm
post #1258 of 3221

as it happens, I do add some red to my strawberry BC. somehow the color of the plain BC, with the macerated fruit, looks slightly like skin and it creeps me out! 

Sweet_Cakes Posted 30 May 2013 , 4:41pm
post #1259 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

You didn't tell her they get up and do a dance? No wonder she walked out. 

Bahahahaha!!!!!

YummyCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyCreations Posted 30 May 2013 , 9:55pm
post #1260 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

When relatives say, "Since when do you bake?" Um, hi..glad we're related and you know nothing about my life for the last 13 years.

Or, "Oh, you bake cakes? I bake too, I have a good recipe, all you do is add pudding to your cake mix." icon_confused.gif

That's not baking people...it's mixing.

Ha, ha, ha! That's awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%