Things Not To Ask/say To A Baker!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 20 Oct 2016 , 2:28pm by ch5964

SweetTzippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTzippy Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 6:44pm
post #481 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeciallyYours 

This is NOT a good client! Just because someone places several orders, does not make a "good" client. A good client would not make this kind of request. Just be honest and tell her/him the reality of cake decorating. If they want a naked cake, then make a cake, make the decorations as best you can, and put them in separate boxes. They can take them home and put it together themselves! I draw the line at "ridiculous"! As much as we try to please the public, and give them what they want, there is a limit. I doubt you will lose the majority of your business if you can't deliver what this person requests. Just say'n!! (sorry, but this really struck a nerve with me!)

Believe me, SpeciallyYours, that phone call and request struck a nerve with me too!  That's why I posted it here "what NOT to ask a baker". icon_biggrin.gif

But as I said she has been a good client up until now (I would have probably rejected a new/unknown client with this kind of request) and I am not afraid of challenges, so now with the suggestions from the amazing cake designers on this thread I might just have found a possible way to deliver it.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 7:48pm
post #482 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllaMarie 

I had a lady other day request a cake. We went over all the detials and she couldn't seem to make up her mind. She wanted a rather large cake with different flavors each tier... Well once I gave the price she responded with "I'm going to just get a square sheet cake from the bakery. Do you make balloon arangments?" I was soooo heated.. But oh well, If she is fine with a flat boring cake from a bakery filled with roaches then goooo right ahead... Just hate having my time waisted.

icon_eek.gif

So rude. Why not say, "Thank you for your time. I'll get back to you if I decide to order." 

SpeciallyYours Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpeciallyYours Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 7:39pm
post #483 of 3221

A

Original message sent by SweetTzippy

Believe me, SpeciallyYours, that phone call and request struck a nerve with me too!  That's why I posted it here "what NOT to ask a baker". :D But as I said she has been a good client up until now (I would have probably rejected a new/unknown client with this kind of request) and I am not afraid of challenges, so now with the suggestions from the amazing cake designers on this thread I might just have found a possible way to deliver it.

If you can find a way to make your client happy, then I bow to you SweeTzippy!!! Strange requests, but we all get those, and try to find ways to give a product to their liking. If she is a good client, then it does make sense to try and do that. Sometimes tackling a "challenge" brings out the creative spark!! Good go'n!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 9:08am
post #484 of 3221

ARandom thought: was thinking about how much my hairstylist charges to spend an hour on my hair. I wish all cakers would value their work as much.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 9:12am
post #485 of 3221

A^^LIKE^^

Mira06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mira06 Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 9:18am
post #486 of 3221

I had someone asking about the price of a wedding cake. I gave them a quote on it. He thought is was too expensive to pay for such a "minor detail" at your wedding day! icon_surprised.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 12:37pm
post #487 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea 

Random thought: was thinking about how much my hairstylist charges to spend an hour on my hair. I wish all cakers would value their work as much.

Or how much a a maid service gets per hour to clean your house.

planetsomsom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
planetsomsom Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 7:09pm
post #488 of 3221

OOh yes... keeping track of what other things people will pay top dollar for is a good way to extinguish rude comments.

My employer found out that I did pastry arts in school and so would ask me to cater things (it's not totally weird, I work in a kitchen anyway). But she wanted cupcakes and cookies, but said she didn't want anything sweet. icon_confused.gif

I sweated bullets through most of the planning on that one!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 8:26pm
post #489 of 3221

Had someone contact me recently about a cake, wanting "something simple" after receiving an initial quote. Maybe no fondant? Maybe a single tier rather than stacked (won't change a thing since I price by the amount of cake, and not by spatial orientation)? I tried to explain that even if I went all the way down to my base price for SMBC, the cake still would not be cheap. It got me thinking about the steps the clients rarely think about when considering what does into their custom cake, so I made this my status update for the day:

Pre-order consultation to discuss what you want, what your event is about, what your design themes are, drawing up sketches, creating quotes, back and forth emails to confirm what you want.

Shopping for ingredients, making fondant, making buttercream, making whatever specialty ingredient that goes with the cake e.g. caramel, making gumpaste, making gumpaste flowers, making ganache, prep, measuring out ingredients, baking, cleaning up. Next day: tort-fill-crumb coat-ganache the cake, cover in fondant, decorate cake. Packaging, attach logo, delivery, set up at your location. 

Hours of work, use of resources: gas, mileage, electricity. None of these even include the cost of the actual ingredients that go into your cake. 

Even if I paid myself minimum wage, that fancy cake still would not be cheap.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 9:06pm
post #490 of 3221

Here's one: 

A couple of weeks ago a lady came in to our storefront. I greeted her as usual and she looks down at the cupcakes in the case and says, "So, your cupcakes are just cupcakes with blobs of icing on top?" 

Me: Yes, pretty much. (Actually, they are iced in pretty swirls of icing, but whatever)

Customer: ::Makes face:: "Oh ok" ::Leaves::

I still have no idea what in the world she was expecting them to be. Is there some type of cupcake that doesn't have icing on top? Icing on the bottom? Icing in the middle, like a cupcake sandwich? Did she expect them to be custom decorated cupcakes? (From the case? Yeah right!) I'm so confused. That wins the weirdest question award. (So far...)

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 10:59pm
post #491 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeCake615 

Here's one: 

A couple of weeks ago a lady came in to our storefront. I greeted her as usual and she looks down at the cupcakes in the case and says, "So, your cupcakes are just cupcakes with blobs of icing on top?" 

Me: Yes, pretty much. (Actually, they are iced in pretty swirls of icing, but whatever)

I still have no idea what in the world she was expecting them to be. Is there some type of cupcake that doesn't have icing on top? Icing on the bottom? Icing in the middle, like a cupcake sandwich? Did she expect them to be custom decorated cupcakes? (From the case? Yeah right!) I'm so confused. That wins the weirdest question award. (So far...)

Filled? Or flavored icing on top? Or a pice of candy or something on top? IDK, that is weird. Maybe she was the competition? 

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 11:09pm
post #492 of 3221

You didn't tell her they get up and do a dance? No wonder she walked out. 

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 5:01am
post #493 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeCake615 

Here's one: 

Maybe she spends too much time on pinterest and expected each one to be topped with a gumpaste peony?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 4:57pm
post #494 of 3221

Do you have the kind of cupcakes that have just a swirl in the center and not  to the edge?  That may have been what she meant.  I saw a thread on here where there was a discussion about how some people thought that it  didn't look like a 'real' cupcake without icing covering the top.

SpeciallyYours Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpeciallyYours Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 5:08pm
post #495 of 3221

A

Original message sent by LoveMeSomeCake615

Here's one: 

A couple of weeks ago a lady came in to our storefront. I greeted her as usual and she looks down at the cupcakes in the case and says, "So, your cupcakes are just cupcakes with blobs of icing on top?"  Me: Yes, pretty much. (Actually, they are iced in pretty [I]swirls [/I]of icing, but whatever) Customer: ::Makes face:: "Oh ok" ::Leaves::

My guess is that she was wondering if your cupcakes had a filling. That seems to be the rage right now, and many of the "cupcake" shops in my area just selling "filled" cupcakes. But it beats me why she didn't simply ask you, if that is what she was wanting. No need to be huffy about it! People!!!???!!!! :D

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 5:08pm
post #496 of 3221

A

Original message sent by scrumdiddlycakes

Maybe she spends too much time on pinterest and expected each one to be topped with a gumpaste peony?

That would be my guess, she may have been looking for something with a smoother look or added decoration on top. Some shops regularly stock these types of cupcakes in their case.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 2:10am
post #497 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

Haha, maybe so! If they were, we would be charging a LOT more for them! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeciallyYours 

My guess is that she was wondering if your cupcakes had a filling. That seems to be the rage right now, and many of the "cupcake" shops in my area just selling "filled" cupcakes. But it beats me why she didn't simply ask you, if that is what she was wanting. No need to be huffy about it! People!!!???!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, I had that thought after she left. We do have a couple that have fillings, but not all of them. But like you say, why didn't she ask? How could she tell for sure if they had filling without asking? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok 

Do you have the kind of cupcakes that have just a swirl in the center and not  to the edge?  That may have been what she meant.  I saw a thread on here where there was a discussion about how some people thought that it  didn't look like a 'real' cupcake without icing covering the top.

Yes, they are the type with a swirl in the center. It comes pretty close to the edge, but it's not completely covered. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

You didn't tell her they get up and do a dance? No wonder she walked out. 

Dancing cupcakes, now THERE's a money maker! icon_lol.gif

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 2:36am
post #498 of 3221

I have been to a lot of the famous cupcake shops in the NE and pop my head in every bakery we walk past on vacations.  Cupcakes that are $3 and up.  Each time I go in I try to see how they are decorating them in action and see the ones in the cases.  Each time I shrug  my shoulders and think...huh, just cupcakes with icing on top.  So I can kind of understand the customer.  I think basically a grocery store cupcake ultimately doesn't look that much different from a fabulous, famous cupcake.  Especially when you aren't tasting them, seeing them side by side, etc.  Mainly I think I never see anything I would pay that money for since I figure I can make my own cupcakes for way less. 

kikiandkyle Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 3:53am
post #499 of 3221

I suppose she could have been expecting the Crumbs type cupcakes where they've stuck a bunch of stuff on to the side of the frosting. But those babies start at like $4 and they're kind of dry. 

costumeczar Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 10:34am
post #500 of 3221

Or she might have just been a dingleberry.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 11:58am
post #501 of 3221

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

Bahahaha ha! I so heart you, CostumeCzar!

kikiandkyle Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 12:51pm
post #502 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Much more likely! 

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 12:59pm
post #503 of 3221

Dingleberry (American?) what a great word.  I think I might start using it.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 1:21pm
post #504 of 3221

Good word, but I grew up with a much different definition, so be careful!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 4:01pm
post #505 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb 

I have been to a lot of the famous cupcake shops in the NE and pop my head in every bakery we walk past on vacations.  Cupcakes that are $3 and up.  Each time I go in I try to see how they are decorating them in action and see the ones in the cases.  Each time I shrug  my shoulders and think...huh, just cupcakes with icing on top.  So I can kind of understand the customer.  I think basically a grocery store cupcake ultimately doesn't look that much different from a fabulous, famous cupcake.  Especially when you aren't tasting them, seeing them side by side, etc.  

Yeah, I guess I can see that, but then what was she expecting them to be??? That was my question. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

HAHAHAHA! Love it. icon_lol.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 4:26pm
post #506 of 3221

OK I got a new one...

"You are called Beyond Buttercream, why are you trying to sell us a fondant cake?" (when handed a photo of a design that had to be *exact* with NO modifications except it *had* to be in buttercream - when the photo was fondant and could not be reproduced even close in buttercream).

kikiandkyle Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 4:32pm
post #507 of 3221

What did they think Beyond means?

costumeczar Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 5:01pm
post #508 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by yortma 

Good word, but I grew up with a much different definition, so be careful!

Oh, I know exactly what it meansicon_twisted.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 5:06pm
post #509 of 3221

A

Original message sent by kikiandkyle

What did they think Beyond means?

Perhaps they thought she could go "beyond" what was possible with buttercream? ;)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 5:12pm
post #510 of 3221

what does beyond buttercream mean?

strictly fondant and ganache?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%