Things Not To Ask/say To A Baker!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 20 Oct 2016 , 2:28pm by ch5964

Cakemommy2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemommy2012 Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 4:28am
post #871 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

Is that like asking for an awesome recipe, I noticed that a few times in the last few days and I had to stop myself from posting that I only had crappy ones.

I want your crappy recipes!!  icon_biggrin.gif  HAHA  I agree that is annoying and It has been happening more frequently lately

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 7:42am
post #872 of 3221

I have a strange bride at the moment whom for the past month has kept asking me; "have you started my cake yet......... ...you have started it right.......... .....is it started yet?"

Does she think I'm gonna bake the cake 7 weeks before her big day?? Mmmmmm....  that would be tasty!!

It's not like she has any reason to doubt me either; I've never forgotten or neglected a cake; I'm starting to feel almost offended! lol

I just keep telling her its all in hand and she's nothing to worry about and the cake will be baked nice and fresh for her big day.

At least in 3 weeks it'll all be over!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 10:19am
post #873 of 3221

A

Original message sent by kikiandkyle

To me respecting your ingredients means not ruining them with junk, or overpowering them. I have a very good friend from Sicily who taught me that in Italian cuisine, it's about using as few ingredients as possible, and that using quality ingredients is crucial because they are all you will taste. Personally it breaks my heart that people go to all the effort of making a scratch cake, then dump a box of pudding in. You might as well have just used a box mix to start with.

Well, lots of people on here argue that if you dump a box of pudding or jello into a cake mix that counts as baking from scratch, so it's not just the non-cake people who deny reality.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 12:41pm
post #874 of 3221

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 1:31pm
post #875 of 3221

A

Original message sent by Crazy-Gray

I have a strange bride at the moment whom for the past month has kept asking me; "have you started my cake yet......... ...you have started it right.......... .....is it started yet?"

Does she think I'm gonna bake the cake 7 weeks before her big day?? Mmmmmm....  that would be tasty!!

It's not like she has any reason to doubt me either; I've never forgotten or neglected a cake; I'm starting to feel almost offended! lol

I just keep telling her its all in hand and she's nothing to worry about and the cake will be baked nice and fresh for her big day.

At least in 3 weeks it'll all be over!

Does she think she's getting a fruit cake (or is she just one herself?)?!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 1:31pm
post #876 of 3221

A

:grin:

Celeste43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Celeste43 Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 3:42pm
post #877 of 3221

I know! a family member always ask me when I am bring a dessert for dinner...can you not make it so sweet? we are on a diet! really?

KristiMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristiMarie Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 3:48pm
post #878 of 3221

AMy personal favorite is when someone wants to compare my cake prices with walmarts cake prices, my advice, if you want a cheap, previously frozen, mass produced cake then hit up walmart for your wedding cake! I have no problem turning cakes down. They are too much time and effort to make them for people who dont appreciate it.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 3:54pm
post #879 of 3221

AWe were recently planning a pot luck family dinner.

Family member who knows that I make cakes: I'm going to bring dressing and a strawberry cake!

My thoughts: you're a [insert foul language here]

I'm the kind of person that gets along with pretty much everyone I meet so before you think I'm being too harsh know that this particular family member is spiteful and we don't get along well...

Bellinear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellinear Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 3:59pm
post #880 of 3221

I know, right!!  I'm one of the lowest coasting backers in town and people send me cakes and I say "how many people do you need to serve" "Oh xxx, It'll be under $100 right?"  ahh NO! *few weeks later*   "I've found someone else to do the cake...but thanks" Ugh

Bellinear Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 4:04pm
post #881 of 3221

haha I know what you mean, people who don't bake do not understand! if I have to deliver on Saturday I bake the cake Thursday decorate Friday night/Saturday morning.....People just don't understand that we have our timeline worked out, its nit like this is the first time we've baked a cake lol

Bellinear Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 4:06pm
post #882 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

Does she think she's getting a fruit cake (or is she just one herself?)?!

haha I know what you mean, people who don't bake do not understand! if I have to deliver on Saturday I bake the cake Thursday decorate Friday night/Saturday morning.....People just don't understand that we have our timeline worked out, its nit like this is the first time we've baked a cake lol

TMGbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TMGbakes Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 4:07pm
post #883 of 3221

Is it not the case that the alcohol would bake/cook out of the cake?  It should.  It would be like making a wine or vodka sauce when cooking.  I have seen many other posted recipes that call for liquor that all reflect based on the amount used and the baking process that the alcohol content cooks out. 

mariets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariets Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 4:08pm
post #884 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by manddi 

We were recently planning a pot luck family dinner.

Family member who knows that I make cakes: I'm going to bring dressing and a strawberry cake!

I'm the kind of person that gets along with pretty much everyone I meet so before you think I'm being too harsh know that this particular family member is spiteful and we don't get along well...

I'd be tempted to go all out and say "oh, I thought you were bringing strawberries so I've made this DELICIOUS cake to go with them" and write rude words on the roof of my mouth with my tongue!

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 5:05pm
post #885 of 3221

I recently had someone ask me, when they had emailed on Friday morning about a question for their cake due the next day, and I had responded with, "Well, the cakes were baked last night and I'm working on the decoration today.."

She emailed me back with, "I just wanted to make sure, so, even though you baked it yesterday, it will still be fresh on Saturday?"

I really wanted to respond with, "No, it won't. It will be totally stale. That's why I bake on Thursday every week and people keep coming back for more orders. Because I'm tired of you all and I've decided to start making crappy, stale cakes for a change."

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 5:11pm
post #886 of 3221

A@DebbyJG looool that was hilarious!!!

Cakemommy2012 Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 5:27pm
post #887 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyJG 

I recently had someone ask me, when they had emailed on Friday morning about a question for their cake due the next day, and I had responded with, "Well, the cakes were baked last night and I'm working on the decoration today.."

She emailed me back with, "I just wanted to make sure, so, even though you baked it yesterday, it will still be fresh on Saturday?"

I really wanted to respond with, "No, it won't. It will be totally stale. That's why I bake on Thursday every week and people keep coming back for more orders. Because I'm tired of you all and I've decided to start making crappy, stale cakes for a change."

HAHAHA!!  Tell them if they want MOIST go to Walmart--you only offer STALE cake!!! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste43 

I know! a family member always ask me when I am bring a dessert for dinner...can you not make it so sweet? we are on a diet! really?

Next time take a cake with no icing on it----Giggles---wont be as sweet that way!

lahlbrecht Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lahlbrecht Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 5:29pm
post #888 of 3221

"We don't want to waste the money on a big expensive cake, just a cheap fake cake is fine (insert picture of a 4tier cake here...), besides it'll be easier to cut and serve sheet cake/cupcakes, anyway."  .......???  First of all, there's no such thing as a cheap 4tier fake cake, and "waste the money"??  What exactly is that suppose to mean, anyway? To see all my hard work and yummy frosting go in the garbage- now THAT is a waste!

As far as the fondant quotes- "It should be cheaper, right?" ....umm....ya, because it's SO much easier!! 

And the bargaining on the price of a cake? That's another favorite!

People are so clueless, aren't they??  icon_smile.gif

JPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JPepper Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 5:33pm
post #889 of 3221

I just had my first request yesterday to make a cake using FONDUE!  LMAO!  JEESH!

Cakemommy2012 Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 5:35pm
post #890 of 3221

FONDUE!!!!!!!  I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for someone to actually pour Fondue over a cake and try to serve it and see the customers reaction! Smiling sweetly saying you SAID you wanted FONDUE!  *snort*  HAHAHA

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 5:54pm
post #891 of 3221

Check out the watermelon cake on paleocupboard website. No baking involved, and it's just what your relatives ordered. icon_twisted.gif

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 5:56pm
post #892 of 3221

Celeste, check out the watermelon cake on paleocupboard website. No baking involved, and it's just what your relatives ordered. icon_twisted.gif

ufo9978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ufo9978 Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 6:26pm
post #893 of 3221

Ughhhhh Hate the word MOIST!! I am not even sure they know what Moist mean, they just like to say it to intimidate me. I hate it when customer ask me " how do yo make your chocolate cake?? " 

Cakemommy2012 Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 6:32pm
post #894 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo9978 

Ughhhhh Hate the word MOIST!! I am not even sure they know what Moist mean, they just like to say it to intimidate me. I hate it when customer ask me " how do yo make your chocolate cake?? " 

Just start telling them "I look for all the oldest cheapest ingredients I can find, then mix them up and bake them months in advance!"  YUM!! 

SpeciallyYours Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpeciallyYours Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 6:52pm
post #895 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

I just want to say that I hope all you bakers are "respecting your ingredients". 

This seems to be the buzz word sentence from all the top chefs on telly the last couple of years.  It drives me bonkers.  I want to say "Nah, I bruise and bash the c... out of them so they no longer taste any good.  And can anyone actually tell me how I show respect to a carrot, for example that, I am about to chop into little pieces.

Well, you could do something like this: "Good morning, Carrot! It's so nice of you to join me today, and be a great part in my production. Because you are you, I am going to charge the going price for a custom cake, in your honor!"  icon_biggrin.gif

SpeciallyYours Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 6:55pm
post #896 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

Respecting your ingredients is a core principle of all culinary and pastry arts. It basically means that you need to let the quality of your ingredients shine through, making sure each ingredient has a purpose and is complimentary to the finished product. In the pastry world this often requires at least a basic understanding of the chemistry behind different ingredients and how they interact during the baking process.

That may be (and I know it is), but it sounds totally stupid!

SpeciallyYours Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 6:59pm
post #897 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Well, lots of people on here argue that if you dump a box of pudding or jello into a cake mix that counts as baking from scratch, so it's not just the non-cake people who deny reality.

WHAT?!?!?!?  icon_surprised.gificon_sad.gif

SpeciallyYours Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 7:03pm
post #898 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by manddi 

We were recently planning a pot luck family dinner.

Just tell the person "Good, one less thing for me to worry about.  I'll bring a rutabaga casserole in your honor"! (no offense to rutabaga lovers of which I am one, but my family isn't!)icon_wink.gif

SpeciallyYours Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 7:05pm
post #899 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariets 

I'd be tempted to go all out and say "oh, I thought you were bringing strawberries so I've made this DELICIOUS cake to go with them" and write rude words on the roof of my mouth with my tongue!

ROFLMAO

SpeciallyYours Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 7:08pm
post #900 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemommy2012 

FONDUE!!!!!!!  I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for someone to actually pour Fondue over a cake and try to serve it and see the customers reaction! Smiling sweetly saying you SAID you wanted FONDUE!  *snort*  HAHAHA

Chocolate fondue???!!!???  Might work!  ROFL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%