Things Not To Ask/say To A Baker!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 20 Oct 2016 , 2:28pm by ch5964

Spireite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spireite Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 3:03pm
post #451 of 3221

Many years ago my Mother and Grandma made my Aunt's wedding cake...one layer of fruit and iced with Royal icing....

Enter Stage left Cousin whom we didn't see that often loudly exclaim across the room

"I hear that you and your daughter made this cake, but you can't have, it looks too good, you MUST have bought it!!"

My Grandma had to be restrained from throttling him...

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 3:29pm
post #452 of 3221

I used to get that whenever I took goodies in to work, I'm sure they meant it as a compliment but there were times when I took offense!

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 4:07pm
post #453 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

I used to get that whenever I took goodies in to work, I'm sure they meant it as a compliment but there were times when I took offense!

Ugh yes, I hate this!  I used to take things in to work often or send them to work with my hubby.  The first time I met some of his coworkers, the first comment I got was "you have to send us more goodies!".  Um, no.

SpeciallyYours Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpeciallyYours Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 6:46pm
post #454 of 3221

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

I hate to tell you this because I'm not trying to start something, but this is totally wrong. If you take money for cakes you're doing business. You don't have to be making a lot of money to be in business, there are plenty of businesses that aren't making any money. Putting a website up makes it accessible to everyone, so it will be considered advertising if the IRS comes a'knocking. I wrote this a couple of weeks ago, please read it: [URL=http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2013/02/weird-undercutting-practices.html]http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2013/02/weird-undercutting-practices.html[/URL]

Brilliant article! Thank you for sharing it here!!

katyhardin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katyhardin Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 2:00am
post #455 of 3221

Oh my goodness! This made me roll on the floor laughing. My nine year old son is a cake boss fanatic...he's always saying, "that's not how the cake boss does it" or "oh yeah, that's what the cake boss does". I was working on a competition cake the other day and he came in and said, "are you going to use fawn-dant?" I said, "no, I am going to use fondant!" LOL. The part about the "woof" cracked me up!! That's one of my pet peeves too! icon_biggrin.gif

figarodt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
figarodt Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 10:22am
post #456 of 3221

AI had an unhappy customer a few weeks ago. I made a cake for her niece with a Hip Hop dancing girl and a graffiti design around. She aske for a regular chocolate birthday cake with chocolate cream. I baked the cake 2 days in advance and refrigerated it as usual for 24 hours. I also made fresh Italian merengue buttercream with good 70% chocolate. I cut off the dome to get a flat surface. Mij husband and I had the 'dome' with our coffee that day and to us it tasted really good. Since she was traveling with the cake a loaned her one of my plasttic transportation boxes. When I mailed her after a week asking when it would be convenient for her to return the box she replied the following: She would return the box that evening but.............she was very disappointed because the cake did not taste good and that it was not fresh and not made out of quality products (as i advertise). I replied that I was sorry to hear she was disappointed and specified my cake making schedule including a list of the quality ingredients I use (e.g. butter, dutch cocoa, 70% chocolate, pasteurized eggs e.g.). I also asked if maybe they had some leftover cake (since it did not taste gooe) to allow me tdentify what the problem was. There (of course) was no reply to that. Tastes differ but to say things like that............. What did she want to achieve, her money back or another cake for free?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 11:15am
post #457 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by figarodt 

I had an unhappy customer a few weeks ago. I made a cake for her niece with a Hip Hop dancing girl and a graffiti design around. She aske for a regular chocolate birthday cake with chocolate cream. I baked the cake 2 days in advance and refrigerated it as usual for 24 hours. I also made fresh Italian merengue buttercream with good 70% chocolate. I cut off the dome to get a flat surface. Mij husband and I had the 'dome' with our coffee that day and to us it tasted really good.
Since she was traveling with the cake a loaned her one of my plasttic transportation boxes. When I mailed her after a week asking when it would be convenient for her to return the box she replied the following: She would return the box that evening but.............she was very disappointed because the cake did not taste good and that it was not fresh and not made out of quality products (as i advertise). I replied that I was sorry to hear she was disappointed and specified my cake making schedule including a list of the quality ingredients I use (e.g. butter, dutch cocoa, 70% chocolate, pasteurized eggs e.g.).
I also asked if maybe they had some leftover cake (since it did not taste gooe) to allow me tdentify what the problem was. There (of course) was no reply to that. Tastes differ but to say things like that............. What did she want to achieve, her money back or another cake for free?

That sounds like the "i wante a free cake" complaint. If you  know that the cake was good and her complaint is "without merit" (ie full of crap) then don't refund her anything. She also should go on the no cake   for you list.

kikiandkyle Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 2:16pm
post #458 of 3221

A lot of people assume cake is supposed to taste like it does when it comes from a box, and look like it does when it comes from Walmart. That's the standard they are expecting from you, so when it tastes like good cake and looks like good cake they think there's something wrong with it. 

rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 2:51pm
post #459 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmat 

cute idea for a post. 

Mine was just last week about a carrot cake:

"Is it moist? Is it any good?" 

Umm, no, it's as dry as styrofoam and it totally sucks. That's why I'm in business. 

And the word moist always kinda creeps me out, I don't know why.

Oh my gosh I HATE the word "moist" too!  I can't tell you why, but it grosses me out.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 4:01pm
post #460 of 3221

A"Moist" creeps people out because it is a good word for crotches and armpits! HTH! ;-)

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 4:15pm
post #461 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

"Moist" creeps people out because it is a good word for crotches and armpits! HTH! icon_wink.gif

Eeeewwwww!  Well, that's put me off my kibble for the day. 

costumeczar Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 4:36pm
post #462 of 3221
Quote:

"Moist" creeps people out because it is a good word for crotches and armpits! HTH! icon_wink.gif

That's what I was going to say too!

SpeciallyYours Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 4:49pm
post #463 of 3221

A

Original message sent by figarodt

I had an unhappy customer a few weeks ago. I made a cake for her niece with a Hip Hop dancing girl and a graffiti design around. She aske for a regular chocolate birthday cake with chocolate cream. I baked the cake 2 days in advance and refrigerated it as usual for 24 hours. I also made fresh Italian merengue buttercream with good 70% chocolate. I cut off the dome to get a flat surface. Mij husband and I had the 'dome' with our coffee that day and to us it tasted really good. Since she was traveling with the cake a loaned her one of my plasttic transportation boxes. When I mailed her after a week asking when it would be convenient for her to return the box she replied the following: She would return the box that evening but.............she was very disappointed because the cake did not taste good and that it was not fresh and not made out of quality products (as i advertise). I replied that I was sorry to hear she was disappointed and specified my cake making schedule including a list of the quality ingredients I use (e.g. butter, dutch cocoa, 70% chocolate, pasteurized eggs e.g.). I also asked if maybe they had some leftover cake (since it did not taste gooe) to allow me tdentify what the problem was. There (of course) was no reply to that. Tastes differ but to say things like that............. What did she want to achieve, her money back or another cake for free?

It is always interesting to hear complaints after the cake is ALL GONE!! Hope you got your transport box back!!

SweetTzippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTzippy Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 6:24pm
post #464 of 3221

A good client, that has shown appreciation for my work in the past, calls to order a cake with elaborate fancy decorations, but...  does not want the cake covered in fondant (because nobody every eats it!), but is not too fond of BC or any other kind of cream (too sweet!). 

If I do a 'naked' cake it will not suit the decorations or style that she is asking.  How am I suppose to make it ????icon_eek.gif

costumeczar Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 7:37pm
post #465 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTzippy 

A good client, that has shown appreciation for my work in the past, calls to order a cake with elaborate fancy decorations, but...  does not want the cake covered in fondant (because nobody every eats it!), but is not too fond of BC or any other kind of cream (too sweet!). 

If I do a 'naked' cake it will not suit the decorations or style that she is asking.  How am I suppose to make it ????icon_eek.gif

You could cover it with cheese from a can, that isn't too sweet icon_evil.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 7:39pm
post #466 of 3221
Quote:

Mashed potatoes?

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 7:48pm
post #467 of 3221

ABahaha! She'd say it's too cheesy!

Got a referral last night. April 23 bride, "baker" cancelled her. I send her introduction email. She writes back she needs about 130 servings ( grooms cake will make up difference of what she needs). She would like basket weave on a 3 tier. She also writes [B]"I have a 22" stand so is like the bottom to be 18".[/B]

What? 18" bottom on a 3 tier cake?! To serve 130?!!

Love when brides think they know what they need.

I write back asking the date. I'm booked!!

I call her and tell her I'm already booked & recommend another cake artist I know. I also try to start her in the right direction o size. She's not hearing it!!

I send her an email with my friends info (also copy the friend). She writes back!! Well, what's her website. I send her link. She writes back with more questions!!! Oh no Sweetie, we are so done.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 7:50pm
post #468 of 3221
Quote:

Ganache? A glaze of some sort? Powdered sugar dust?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 9:15pm
post #469 of 3221

A

Original message sent by SweetTzippy

A good client, that has shown appreciation for my work in the past, calls to order a cake with elaborate fancy decorations, but...  does not want the cake covered in fondant (because nobody every eats it!), but is not too fond of BC or any other kind of cream (too sweet!).  If I do a 'naked' cake it will not suit the decorations or style that she is asking.  How am I suppose to make it ????8O

Have you asked the client what she wants the cake to be covered in?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 9:23pm
post #470 of 3221
Quote:

Tell her that fairy dust will cost her $300 an ounce...or she can have ganache.

Ganache is a really good cake covering for those who don't like "too sweet" with elaborate decorations. 

One German bakery here uses modelling chocolate to cover cakes as you would use fondant...it's chocolate and therefore tastes good.

SweetTzippy Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 7:15am
post #471 of 3221

LOL @ costumeczar & Annabakescakes !!!

@ jason_kraft, I did ask and her response was "you are the expert".

@ BakingIrene & Shanter, cake has to be dairy free so I did not think of ganache.  I don't have experience with modeling chocolate and did not know that it can be used to cover cakes, it is interesting to know, thank you. In this case it might not work because brown is not a suitable color for this cake and I also wonder if that would be dairy too.  icon_sad.gif

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 7:19am
post #472 of 3221
Quote:

Mashed potatoes?

Is it bad that I would eat this?

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 4:01pm
post #473 of 3221
Quote:

LOL @ costumeczar & Annabakescakes !!!

@ jason_kraft, I did ask and her response was "you are the expert".

@ BakingIrene & Shanter, cake has to be dairy free so I did not think of ganache.  I don't have experience with modeling chocolate and did not know that it can be used to cover cakes, it is interesting to know, thank you. In this case it might not work because brown is not a suitable color for this cake and I also wonder if that would be dairy too.  icon_sad.gif

If you buy chocolate (white or brown), it will probably have milk in it. You can make your own (search for "vegan white chocolate" which I think is made with soy milk). It can be tinted with food color. If it isn't enough like ganache, add more soy milk. If you want a covering you can roll out, I imagine you could probably make vegan white modeling chocolate.

[I have never done this; I just read about it on the web.]

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 4:03pm
post #474 of 3221

AWhole Foods sells vegan chocolate chips, which can be made into dairy-free ganache with coconut milk.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 4:11pm
post #475 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

Whole Foods sells vegan chocolate chips, which can be made into dairy-free ganache with coconut milk.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm that sounds divine!! I have to try that- it's on my Sunday to do list now (it replaced 'tidy up house')

SpeciallyYours Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 4:48pm
post #476 of 3221

A

Original message sent by SweetTzippy

A good client, that has shown appreciation for my work in the past, calls to order a cake with elaborate fancy decorations, but...  does not want the cake covered in fondant (because nobody every eats it!), but is not too fond of BC or any other kind of cream (too sweet!).  If I do a 'naked' cake it will not suit the decorations or style that she is asking.  How am I suppose to make it ????8O

This is NOT a good client! Just because someone places several orders, does not make a "good" client. A good client would not make this kind of request. Just be honest and tell her/him the reality of cake decorating. If they want a naked cake, then make a cake, make the decorations as best you can, and put them in separate boxes. They can take them home and put it together themselves! I draw the line at "ridiculous"! As much as we try to please the public, and give them what they want, there is a limit. I doubt you will lose the majority of your business if you can't deliver what this person requests. Just say'n!! (sorry, but this really struck a nerve with me!)

kikiandkyle Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 6:20pm
post #477 of 3221

I think it looks better to say no than to do a cake that is pretty much impossible to pull off without ending up on cake wrecks. If you truly think their request is impossible you should tell them sooner rather than later. If they decide to go elsewhere the other baker will be the one dealing with an unhappy client (and possible refund) and you'll be the one that told them the truth. 

AllaMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllaMarie Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 6:25pm
post #478 of 3221

I had a lady other day request a cake. We went over all the detials and she couldn't seem to make up her mind. She wanted a rather large cake with different flavors each tier... Well once I gave the price she responded with "I'm going to just get a square sheet cake from the bakery. Do you make balloon arangments?" I was soooo heated.. But oh well, If she is fine with a flat boring cake from a bakery filled with roaches then goooo right ahead... Just hate having my time waisted.

icon_eek.gif

SweetTzippy Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 6:31pm
post #479 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

Whole Foods sells vegan chocolate chips, which can be made into dairy-free ganache with coconut milk.

Thank you so very much jason_kraft for this information.

I suppose its time to start experimenting with new products and familiarize myself with vegan ingredients for my dairy free cakes.

SweetTzippy Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 6:35pm
post #480 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

If you buy chocolate (white or brown), it will probably have milk in it. You can make your own (search for "vegan white chocolate" which I think is made with soy milk). It can be tinted with food color. If it isn't enough like ganache, add more soy milk. If you want a covering you can roll out, I imagine you could probably make vegan white modeling chocolate.

[I have never done this; I just read about it on the web.]

Vegan white modeling chocolate that can be tinted in any color and used to cover cakes instead of fondant.  It sounds like an idea worth experimenting!

Thank you Shanter icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%