Things Not To Ask/say To A Baker!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 20 Oct 2016 , 2:28pm by ch5964

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 12:06am
post #1681 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcase68 
There is a reason things go on sale 10 for $10.  People think they have to buy 10 to get the deal.

Sometimes they do.

And in my case, I assume that's the case, but still only buy what I actually need, and if I get the deal anyway, I consider it a pleasant surprise.

j92383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j92383 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 5:25am
post #1682 of 3221

I'm a sucker for minimum requirements for free shipping. I almost always add something extra to get that "deal"

thelittlecakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thelittlecakery Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 5:42am
post #1683 of 3221

A

Original message sent by j92383

I'm a sucker for minimum requirements for free shipping. I almost always add something extra to get that "deal"

Me too! 20 minutes ago I was on amazon looking for a book and if I spent $7 more shipping was free! So I went hunting for a $7 item just for free shipping

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 5:47am
post #1684 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by j92383 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelittlecakery 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j92383 

Me too! 20 minutes ago I was on amazon looking for a book and if I spent $7 more shipping was free! So I went hunting for a $7 item just for free shipping

UGH! I am such a sucker for that! I order $70+ at DecoPac even when all I need is a couple tips and icing bags!

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 9:43am
post #1685 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I have had that same thing happen to me many times, and the best way to describe the look on my face is "pity", lol. Pity they are so stupid they can't see it is one cent away from being $10, or pity that they are so dumb, they think I will buy that it is only $9.99. I always round up. even $8.97 is $10 in my head.

With the tax on it...yeah that sounds about right...before I got into the checkout at the store, I normally will add everything up. Usually I'm rounding up to the nearest dollar, even if something is $1.50.

Sweet_Cakes Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 9:47am
post #1686 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcase68 

I put my time in retail for 11 years.  There is a reason things go on sale 10 for $10.  People think they have to buy 10 to get the deal.  They cannot figure out they are a buck a piece and only need to buy one.

This drives me crazy...but it's the same reason that they have stuff at the registers...it's too early in the morning for me to remember what it is called, but if you put it under a customer's nose while they wait in line, chances are they are going to buy it. Sneaky tricks to increase the dollar amount of a sale.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 10:30am
post #1687 of 3221

A

Original message sent by Sweet_Cakes

This drives me crazy...but it's the same reason that they have stuff at the registers...it's too early in the morning for me to remember what it is called, but if you put it under a customer's nose while they wait in line, chances are they are going to buy it. Sneaky tricks to increase the dollar amount of a sale.

Product placement? Kinda like putting chocolate bars by tampons.

owatto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
owatto Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 11:15am
post #1688 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by manddi 

Product placement?
Kinda like putting chocolate bars by tampons.

I think my supermarket is doing it wrong, the tampons are next to the condoms!

manddi Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 11:17am
post #1689 of 3221

AMine too but they'd sell a lot more chocolate if they put it by the tampons!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 11:35am
post #1690 of 3221

A

Original message sent by Sweet_Cakes

Impulse items

owatto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
owatto Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 12:45pm
post #1691 of 3221
Quote:

Mine too but they'd sell a lot more chocolate if they put it by the tampons!

I always end up in the chocolate aisle anyway... somehow its always on the way to the registers

lunawhisper0013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lunawhisper0013 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 1:13pm
post #1692 of 3221

AI've had it happen several times where a customer is unhappy, even furious, because the colors on the cake weren't exactly the colors on her partyware.

Like her guests are going to be like, "Honey, you know I love you, but...I just can't eat this cake....it...it, well...just doesn't match the plate."

manddi Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 1:24pm
post #1693 of 3221

A

Original message sent by lunawhisper0013

I've had it happen several times where a customer is unhappy, even furious, because the colors on the cake weren't exactly the colors on her partyware.

Like her guests are going to be like, "Honey, you know I love you, but...I just can't eat this cake....it...it, well...just doesn't match the plate."

Lmao!

Sweet_Cakes Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 2:52pm
post #1694 of 3221
Quote:

Product placement?
Kinda like putting chocolate bars by tampons.

Yay for product placement!

Sweet_Cakes Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 2:55pm
post #1695 of 3221

I really hope I don't offend anyone with that picture...I'll take it down if I need to...I'm second guessing myself now...LOL icon_redface.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 3:13pm
post #1696 of 3221

A

Original message sent by lunawhisper0013

I've had it happen several times where a customer is unhappy, even furious, because the colors on the cake weren't exactly the colors on her partyware.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

I remember we weren't allowed to make custom colors, even if the DecoPac cake we were making had pastels on it, we had to make it in burn your retina brights. Oh, how I hated that job...

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 3:59pm
post #1697 of 3221

ALeave it up! What a great pic.

If it offends anyone, well, it sure does tell you a everything about the offended party.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 4:00pm
post #1698 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Cakes 

I really hope I don't offend anyone with that picture...I'll take it down if I need to...I'm second guessing myself now...LOL icon_redface.gif

It's hilarious!

One of my roommates after college was in line at CVS with tampons, Midol, and a big bag of M&Ms. The lady in line behind her tapped her on the shoulder and said, very sympathetically, "I know exactly how you feel, dear."

Sweet_Cakes Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 4:06pm
post #1699 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot 

Leave it up! What a great pic.

If it offends anyone, well, it sure does tell you a everything about the offended party.

Thanks...I stole it from google....LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

It's hilarious!

One of my roommates after college was in line at CVS with tampons, Midol, and a big bag of M&Ms. The lady in line behind her tapped her on the shoulder and said, very sympathetically, "I know exactly how you feel, dear."

Haha...I would have laughed and blushed so hard if that were me!

thelittlecakery Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 5:24pm
post #1700 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

Impulse items

Impulse items and end caps get me every time! I don't need it, but it's new, so I want it.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 5:52pm
post #1701 of 3221
Quote:

It's hilarious!

LOL! Don't we all know that feeling! (Well, women do, anyway icon_wink.gif )

Sweet_Cakes Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 6:01pm
post #1702 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeCake615 

LOL! Don't we all know that feeling! (Well, women do, anyway icon_wink.gif )

If we do our job right, men would be sympathetic as well...LOL My ex husband always when I was approaching that time of month and he usually just left me well enough alone...LOL

lunawhisper0013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lunawhisper0013 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 6:05pm
post #1703 of 3221

AOh.My.Goodness...A customer just complained about me at work. I manage a grocery store bakery and do custom work at home. This lady comes in, whips out her phone, and shows me this 3 tier, Great Gatsby themed cake complete with fondant hat, pearls, silver piping and black 20's style silhouettes and askes if my store bakery can do it. I said I was the only one who would even attempt it but there were 2 problems, one, my store doesn't do that kind of thing, and doesn't have the materials to do it for that matter, and two, she wants it on a day I will be gone for vacation

I told her my store can't do it and if I did it at home, I would charge $400 for it. She gave me a sour look, said "That's okay, thank you." Then proceeded to go to my manager and complain that my price was unreasonable! For a PRIVATE commission! My boss just shook his head. Un-effing-believable.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 6:24pm
post #1704 of 3221
Quote:

It's hilarious!

Off topic but...Years ago, when I still lived in New England, we were getting a hurricane. My company shut down and sent everyone home. The whole area was like a ghost town. Everyone closing up and bunkering down (hurricanes pretty rare in MA). I stopped at CVS on my way home to pick up tampons and the teenaged boy at the register said "I bet you're glad we're still open"!! It's a hilarious story now but oh, I was so mortified at the time.

Sweet_cakes, I think the picture is perfect!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 7:06pm
post #1705 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee 

Off topic but...Years ago, when I still lived in New England, we were getting a hurricane. My company shut down and sent everyone home. The whole area was like a ghost town. Everyone closing up and bunkering down (hurricanes pretty rare in MA). I stopped at CVS on my way home to pick up tampons and the teenaged boy at the register said "I bet you're glad we're still open"!! It's a hilarious story now but oh, I was so mortified at the time.

Sweet_cakes, I think the picture is perfect!

Oh my God, I can't believe he'd have the nerve to say that! My teenaged son would die of embarrassment if he worked as a cashier and had to ring tampons up!

I had another roommate once (one guy out of four roommates) who always asked us to let him go to the store to buy tampons etc for us. He got a big kick out of buying feminine hygiene products for some reason. I think he liked pretending that he was married and his wife had sent him. We told him that he was a freak.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 8:09pm
post #1706 of 3221
Quote:

Oh my God, I can't believe he'd have the nerve to say that! My teenaged son would die of embarrassment if he worked as a cashier and had to ring tampons up!

I had another roommate once (one guy out of four roommates) who always asked us to let him go to the store to buy tampons etc for us. He got a big kick out of buying feminine hygiene products for some reason. I think he liked pretending that he was married and his wife had sent him. We told him that he was a freak.

You'd think they'd be trained, especially at a drug store, to ignore what people buy.

Your roommate story is great! That is the one thing that my husband will not ever do for me. Never, ever, ever.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 8:17pm
post #1707 of 3221

For some reason, I find myself thinking about a certain joke (not suitable to be repeated on a family board), involving a genie granting a wish, that manages to be dirty, and to offend a minimum of two ethnicities, all at the same time.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 8:25pm
post #1708 of 3221

A

Original message sent by hbquikcomjamesl

For some reason, I find myself thinking about a certain joke (not suitable to be repeated on a family board), involving a genie granting a wish, that manages to be dirty, and to offend a minimum of two ethnicities, all at the same time.

Lol I know exactly the joke you are talking about :p

SpeciallyYours Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpeciallyYours Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 8:31pm
post #1709 of 3221

A

Original message sent by shanter

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3056440/] [/URL]

ROFLMAO LOVE it!!! :D

thelittlecakery Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 8:36pm
post #1710 of 3221

A

Original message sent by nutcase68

I put my time in retail for 11 years.  There is a reason things go on sale 10 for $10.  People think they have to buy 10 to get the deal.  They cannot figure out they are a buck a piece and only need to buy one.

I fell for that when I was like 16, I wanted ice cream so I went to the store and saw 10 for $10. My ice cream was usually $3+ so I got 10 containers and when I got home, my mom asked if I was stupid (jokingly). That's when it clicked... Duh. Man did I feel like an idiot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%