Things Not To Ask/say To A Baker!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 20 Oct 2016 , 2:28pm by ch5964

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 6:42pm
post #1621 of 3221

AWell it seems like she is at least trying to reduce her cost by getting something that's cheaper instead of getting expensive flavor for less. She just seems uneducated about design.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 8:45pm
post #1622 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

I prefer "cake *****" ( tht will probably be censored out)

Love it! Shall we make t-shirts?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 9:12pm
post #1623 of 3221

A]

Original message sent by Elcee

Love it! Shall we make t-shirts?

I'd be willing to bet that someone already has...well, lookee here!

If you are offended easily or don't like the word for a female dog,don't click this link. Otherwise, look at the top row in the middle. http://tinyurl.com/qjg4y3b

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 9:33pm
post #1624 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

]
I'd be willing to bet that someone already has...well, lookee here!

If you are offended easily or don't like the word for a female dog,don't click this link. Otherwise, look at the top row in the middle. http://tinyurl.com/qjg4y3b

LOVE. There's also these...please heed costumeczar's warning above prior to clicking this link icon_biggrin.gif http://www.captainleisuretees.com/s/T-Shirts/Cakey-and-Bakey-Tees/Fondant-*****es/session_04d9d462cd74/

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 9:38pm
post #1625 of 3221

AI love the one with overlapping circles, and where all circles overlap (pretty cake, good cake, cheap cake) it says 'I want what you're smoking.' Awesome.

Stacilynn88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacilynn88 Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 11:52pm
post #1626 of 3221

AMaybe this is a bit off topic, but this is really bothering me. I have a home based business, so everything is by appointment only. I am wondering if anyone else has problem with people not showing up at the Preset time, and not calling to let you know. This frustrates the heck out of me! Sure, I work at home, but I have a life too! I want to add a "late" for these inconsiderate people, but my husband says get over it! Grrrrrrr. Today I missed an appointment as my clint was an hour late and didn't even apologize! What are your thoughts?

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 11:56pm
post #1627 of 3221

When the offending party shows up an hour late, I would be inclined to tell them another appointment is on the way, and they will need to reschedule for another day.  Tell them you will e-mail or call them the next day when you have time to look at your schedule.  Usher them out quickly.  Maybe they will understand that you don't tolerate lateness.

Liz

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 12:17am
post #1628 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

When the offending party shows up an hour late, I would be inclined to tell them another appointment is on the way, and they will need to reschedule for another day.  Tell them you will e-mail or call them the next day when you have time to look at your schedule.  Usher them out quickly.  Maybe they will understand that you don't tolerate lateness.

Liz

Yes, but I'd give them 15 minutes then call them to reschedule. If they were going to a doctor appointment or a tee time they wouldn't be late, so don't let people take advantage of you!

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 12:50am
post #1629 of 3221

A

Original message sent by Stacilynn88

Maybe this is a bit off topic, but this is really bothering me. I have a home based business, so everything is by appointment only. I am wondering if anyone else has problem with people not showing up at the Preset time, and not calling to let you know. This frustrates the heck out of me! Sure, I work at home, but I have a life too! I want to add a "late" for these inconsiderate people, but my husband says get over it! Grrrrrrr. Today I missed an appointment as my clint was an hour late and didn't even apologize! What are your thoughts?

This one makes me nuts! It happens far too often. The really annoying thing is that it seems to happen most from friends. I am learning how to deal with it, but it is hard for me; I am a people pleaser. What I am learning is that people will treat you as badly as you let them. I am starting to keep track of who these people are and taking steps to prevent being treated poorly by them again.

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 9:25pm
post #1630 of 3221

Sounds like you need to start demanding some respect, starting with your husband. How he would like it if many of his appointments at his job showed up an hour late with no apology? Liz is absolutely right. And, when you call, make it clear that you are "making an exception to your rules just this one time to reschedule her, but your time is too valuable to accommodate her further."  If you go ahead and meet with a client who is an hour late, with or without an apology, you have taught her that it is okay to continue to treat you that way, and you have devalued yourself in her eyes.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 10:01pm
post #1631 of 3221

AI completely agree, if they showed up an hour late to a storefront bakery they'd be told to come back another time, with a check in their hand to cover the appointment they missed. If I had to be somewhere else I'd leave and let them figure it out. You won't lose any clients, but you will gain a bit more respect.

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 10:17pm
post #1632 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacilynn88 

Maybe this is a bit off topic, but this is really bothering me.
I have a home based business, so everything is by appointment only. I am wondering if anyone else has problem with people not showing up at the
Preset time, and not calling to let you know. This frustrates the heck out of me! Sure, I work at home, but I have a life too!
I want to add a "late" for these inconsiderate people, but my husband says get over it! Grrrrrrr. Today I missed an appointment as my clint was an hour late and didn't even apologize! What are your thoughts?

Now there's one I had not heard before ~icon_biggrin.gif

lunawhisper0013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lunawhisper0013 Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 2:31am
post #1633 of 3221

The big one for me:

A lady asked me to make her a cake and sent me a pic. It was a 4 tier Chanel cake complete with shoe, edible images, gold luster and incredibly beautiful and intricate. I emailed her back and said that the cake she sent me was worth $2000 or more but I would do it for $500 because I am just getting started in the business and the cake was worth putting in my portfolio even if I didn't get full price for it.

She said that was a lot more than she wanted to spend.  I told her I could do a 3 tier for $400 but that I estimated 15 hours of work on it so I couldn't go lower than that.  She said that she wanted to spend $50. My jaw DROPPED!!! yeah, she didn't get the cake from me.

Jeez, it's like "Hey, I want to buy a Ferrari but I only have enough for a Kia. That's cool, right?"   Sheesh! 

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 2:36am
post #1634 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunawhisper0013 

The big one for me:

A lady asked me to make her a cake and sent me a pic. It was a 4 tier Chanel cake complete with shoe, edible images, gold luster and incredibly beautiful and intricate. I emailed her back and said that the cake she sent me was worth $2000 or more but I would do it for $500 because I am just getting started in the business and the cake was worth putting in my portfolio even if I didn't get full price for it.

She said that was a lot more than she wanted to spend.  I told her I could do a 3 tier for $400 but that I estimated 15 hours of work on it so I couldn't go lower than that.  She said that she wanted to spend $50. My jaw DROPPED!!! yeah, she didn't get the cake from me.

Jeez, it's like "Hey, I want to buy a Ferrari but I only have enough for a Kia. That's cool, right?"   Sheesh! 

You should have quoted her the $2000!!.  What a cheapskate she was.  On the other hand, I would rather buy a Chanel purse for $2000 than eat one  icon_biggrin.gif  (can't afford either...)

lunawhisper0013 Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 3:14am
post #1635 of 3221

Another thing I hate is when someone sends a pic of a 3 tier cake or something like that. I quote the price and they ask whey it costs so much.  I tell them that the cake in the pic she sent me serves over 100 people. not to mention the time/ supplies etc. Then she's "well can you make it smaller? There's only going to be about 20 people there" 

At that point, and I honestly said this, I'm like "Yes, I can, but it is going to be so small that it is going to look really stupid on your table"  I talked her into something else....

CakeAceOne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeAceOne Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 3:51am
post #1636 of 3221

AWhat about, I need a small 3 tier wedding cake this weekend. It's small, you can do it right? Yea right.

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 5:45pm
post #1637 of 3221
Quote:

The big one for me:

More like they want a Ferrari but only have the money for a tricycle.

lunawhisper0013 Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 6:14pm
post #1638 of 3221

A

Original message sent by Carrie789

More like they want a Ferrari but only have the money for a tricycle.

LOL that's fantastic, and absolutely right! It was highly insulting. For $50 I can print out a picture of the cake and put it in a decent frame. Enjoy!

SweetTzippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTzippy Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 1:08pm
post #1639 of 3221

A

Original message sent by lunawhisper0013

The big one for me:

I've had a similar case, the picture of a 4 tier cake with shoes, purse & intricate decoration. After quoting a fair price the client comes back to ask how many servings and when I tell her she says they are only 25-30 people at the party so I should use "dummies" on all tiers except top to be real cake, to reduce price to $100 !!!!! Like if its a dummy it's not the same work ????!!!!!!!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 2:01pm
post #1640 of 3221

They must think the dummies come already decorated and all you have to do is put them together.  I don't know what's happened to people's common sense.  It's like they just don't have any any more.  And it's hard to believe the sense of entitlement so many people have these days!

lunawhisper0013 Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 2:25pm
post #1641 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerle 

They must think the dummies come already decorated and all you have to do is put them together.  I don't know what's happened to people's common sense.  It's like they just don't have any any more.  And it's hard to believe the sense of entitlement so many people have these days!

Yeah, well they can "entitle" their happy selves to a Walmart cake. We are trying to make a living.. 

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 4:01pm
post #1642 of 3221

A

Yeah, well they can "entitle" their happy selves to a Walmart cake. We are trying to make a living.. 

*snork*

SpeciallyYours Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpeciallyYours Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 5:55pm
post #1643 of 3221

A

Original message sent by Gerle

I think this is pretty much what is wrong with this country now days! Common sense out the window, and severe case of "entitlement" reigns for some reason. If anyone can shed some light on why, please do! I wonder if it has to do with the fact that so much communication is done on computers/smart phones, etc. and little face to face. Makes me crazy to see a table of younger folks all texting on their phones and not talking to each other! Not "cake" talk, but just has been bothering this 60+ year old gal for some time now!! That and all the "cake" shows that show so many cakes being done "in just an hour". I wish they would post a disclaimer on each show stating how long each cake took, and by how many people!! May do a lot to get folks into reality based ordered! :grin:

SpeciallyYours Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpeciallyYours Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 5:56pm
post #1644 of 3221

A

:D :lol:

justdesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justdesserts Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 3:07am
post #1645 of 3221
Quote:

It seems like most people think the main cost is just the ingredients, so therefore no cake = lower cost. They don't understand the same exact amount of time goes into decorating and that's what they're paying for!

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 10:25am
post #1646 of 3221
Quote:

This made me LOL!

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 10:26am
post #1647 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeciallyYours 

I think this is pretty much what is wrong with this country now days! Common sense out the window, and severe case of "entitlement" reigns for some reason. If anyone can shed some light on why, please do! I wonder if it has to do with the fact that so much communication is done on computers/smart phones, etc. and little face to face. Makes me crazy to see a table of younger folks all texting on their phones and not talking to each other! Not "cake" talk, but just has been bothering this 60+ year old gal for some time now!! That and all the "cake" shows that show so many cakes being done "in just an hour". I wish they would post a disclaimer on each show stating how long each cake took, and by how many people!! May do a lot to get folks into reality based ordered! icon_biggrin.gif

I saw a picture once of a billboard that said we need a department of common sense...truth be told, common sense is just not that common any more...

SweetTzippy Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 7:13pm
post #1648 of 3221

"It seems like most people think the main cost is just the ingredients, so therefore no cake = lower cost. They don't understand the same exact amount of time goes into decorating and that's what they're paying for!"

That's exactly right "justdesserts" !!!icon_smile.gif

SweetTzippy Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 7:14pm
post #1649 of 3221
Quote:

Love this one !!! thumbs_up.gif

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 11:37pm
post #1650 of 3221
Quote:

I think a lot of blame goes to things like Groupon.  I've lost track of how many cheap cupcake deals I have seen (in my area, at least) where the places basically are giving away their products for free.  And then hordes of cheapskates will hop from one "bakery" to another, only purchasing cupcakes using vouchers and believing that anything more than $1 per cupcake is overpriced and ridiculous and a rip-off.  Sadly, this includes people that know me well and know from me how much time, money and energy goes into these things.

End rant.  Sorry.  I may not be in business, but dream of it someday in the future when I'm ready for it, so I get easily irritated on behalf of everyone who already IS in business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%