Things Not To Ask/say To A Baker!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 20 Oct 2016 , 2:28pm by ch5964

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 3221

So, i've been looking around the internet and I'm not finding any type of blog or even a website. All of the websites and advice places out there are "what to ask" your baker. 

Well, I often get some rude questions from friends and family...and once in a while customers...when it should be something they SHOULD NOT ask! LOL 

I'll start with the one I had from last night. Now, this comes from my step-mom whom i know HATES fondant. i'm bringing a cake to a holiday gathering this weekend and she asks me in a text:

with buttercream frosting? 

dunce.gif

and she thought there was NOTHING wrong with asking that :p

ok...YOU GO thumbs_up.gif

3,220 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 3221

Mine is....."Can you not make the icing so sweet!! "

such idiots....icon_rolleyes.gif

nikki4199 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki4199 Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 3221

Mine is

You do this all day you have time..!

I can't stand that. Hey I would like a life you know.

wildflowercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflowercakes Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 3221

I had a lady ask me if I could do fondant- are you ready for this- she searched the web and found it doesn't take as much frosting if you do fondant so wouldn't that lower the price of her wedding cake?   

glenskendall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glenskendall Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 3221

How about asking for your recipes! Umm... No, I don't share my recipes. Like I can walk into a restaurant and ask for their recipes? "Umm, excuse me McDonald's but can you give me the recipe for a Big Mac so that I can make it myself and not spend any money on your product. That would be great!" LOL

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 3221

What about..............'I can wait to taste your cake again.  My son will be one soon, can I order your raspberry cake, you know, the one with the raspberry brandy in it".  Ummmmmmmmmmm?????????  Liquor in a one year olds birthday cake????  What were they thinking?  Or I just want a small wedding cake, just for the two of us to cut............soooooooo, that won't cost much, right?  (Just so you know, I don't do wedding cakes for two people).  Grrrrr.    Or the best one.  Can I get my wedding cake from you just before the ceremony to save on a delivery fee?  Sure, but it's August (hotter than an oven out) and I need to have you sign a statement releasing me from any damage after it leaves my hands.  Look of shock on  brides face as she rethinks the delivery fee and her schedule on that day.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 3221

True story - A sweet young thing was wanting to break into the cake biz.  She called me. 

Her - "Can I come work for you and have you teach me everything about the wedding cake business?  I want to open a shop." 

Me - So where are you planning on opening your shop?" 

Her - "Right here in (same city)" 

Me - "So you want me to teach you everything I know so that you can be my competition?" 

Her "Yes!" 

Me - "Uh . . . NO."

So don't ask if you can come work for me.  If I'm hiring I'll call you.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 12:38am
post #8 of 3221

cute idea for a post. 

Mine was just last week about a carrot cake:

"Is it moist? Is it any good?" 

Umm, no, it's as dry as styrofoam and it totally sucks. That's why I'm in business. 

And the word moist always kinda creeps me out, I don't know why.

step0nmi Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 2:25am
post #9 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes 

Mine is....."Can you not make the icing so sweet!! "

such idiots....icon_rolleyes.gif

this is so standard. the question should be: "what types of frostings do you offer?" not so rude and then you can describe them so they can decide! ugh lol 

step0nmi Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 2:26am
post #10 of 3221

omg! that one is sooo top notch! i swear sometimes people think we just pull cakes from our butts icon_lol.gif

step0nmi Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 2:27am
post #11 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowercakes 

I had a lady ask me if I could do fondant- are you ready for this- she searched the web and found it doesn't take as much frosting if you do fondant so wouldn't that lower the price of her wedding cake?   

seriously! this reminds me of that insurance commercial where the girl comes out to talk to the guy about him mapping his accident and she is talking about everything she's heard from the "internet" including her meet up of a "french" guy that is totally disgusting! HA HA! jokes on her! thumbs_up.gif

step0nmi Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 2:29am
post #12 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki4199 

Mine is

You do this all day you have time..!

I can't stand that. Hey I would like a life you know.

omg! that one is sooo top notch! i swear sometimes people think we just pull cakes from our butts 

step0nmi Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 2:30am
post #13 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenskendall 

How about asking for your recipes! Umm... No, I don't share my recipes. Like I can walk into a restaurant and ask for their recipes? "Umm, excuse me McDonald's but can you give me the recipe for a Big Mac so that I can make it myself and not spend any money on your product. That would be great!" LOL

what happened to people having filters for their thoughts...OR COMMON SENSE!? 

I need to make a book icon_lol.gif

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 2:34am
post #14 of 3221

AMoist...grossest word ever. At least when it comes to food.

step0nmi Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 2:39am
post #15 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH 

What about..............'I can wait to taste your cake again.  My son will be one soon, can I order your raspberry cake, you know, the one with the raspberry brandy in it".  Ummmmmmmmmmm?????????  Liquor in a one year olds birthday cake????  What were they thinking?  Or I just want a small wedding cake, just for the two of us to cut............soooooooo, that won't cost much, right?  (Just so you know, I don't do wedding cakes for two people).  Grrrrr.    Or the best one.  Can I get my wedding cake from you just before the ceremony to save on a delivery fee?  Sure, but it's August (hotter than an oven out) and I need to have you sign a statement releasing me from any damage after it leaves my hands.  Look of shock on  brides face as she rethinks the delivery fee and her schedule on that day.

ok...all of these the people were just NOT THINKING! i think our customers NEED a "what not to ask/say book" ;) 

step0nmi Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 2:41am
post #16 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmat 

cute idea for a post. 

Mine was just last week about a carrot cake:

"Is it moist? Is it any good?" 

Umm, no, it's as dry as styrofoam and it totally sucks. That's why I'm in business. 

And the word moist always kinda creeps me out, I don't know why.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

asking about taste and texture is always hilarious to me. I seriously think people don't know what good cake is and when they ask these sorts of questions they would really be saying : I don't have any faith or trust in your work because I don't know what good cake is and i'm trying to pull one over on you LOL

moist doesn't bother me icon_rolleyes.gif

step0nmi Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 2:45am
post #17 of 3221

so my other contribution led me to take some time off from caking. :(

through email someone wanted a pretty extensive cake for a baby shower, provided a expert picture and all. I quoted my price and of course she went down to simpler. After getting down to simpler I gave her my price and she replies with "Well, I would really like to stick between $80-$90". when I wrote her back I said "this pricing is based on servings no matter what the design and it will be $100"...she response with "If we could stick between $80-90 dollars that would be great!" I wasn't budging and she wrote me the next day that she had found someone else! GOOD RIDDANCE! 

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 2:49am
post #18 of 3221

AMy mother in law also doesn't like fondant so for the holidays she away says. "Bring a cake with your yummy buttercream frosting not that other gross stuff" meaning fondant as the gross stuff

step0nmi Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 2:50am
post #19 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazita 

My mother in law also doesn't like fondant so for the holidays she away says. "Bring a cake with your yummy buttercream frosting not that other gross stuff" meaning fondant as the gross stuff

YUP! that is what my step mother was implying as well. they see nothing wrong with it :( hurts my feelings 

kazita Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 3:11am
post #20 of 3221

AOh I can't forget the one I did this summer where I had sucker wrote all over my head. This lady had heard from my neighbor that I make yummy cakes so I go to her house we talk about the cake and she couldnt or didn't know how many people would show for her daughter's 16th birthday party so she said anywhere from 20 to 60 people than gave me a huge sob storty that she really can't afford much and how she had done a lot of shopping around already for a cake and how disappointed she was that Wal-Mart wouldn't make her a specialty cake than came the hurting words "it's just cake not like its a big deal to make one" yes she proceeded to place a order with me getting a specialty cake and cupcakes for a dirt cheap price

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 3:13am
post #21 of 3221
Quote:

Now, this comes from my step-mom whom i know HATES fondant. i'm bringing a cake to a holiday gathering this weekend and she asks me in a text:

with buttercream frosting?

I would have texted back, what flavour would she like?

My mother-in-law asked such questions over the phone with a gentle wistful tone of voice, and I always felt that she was being reasonable.  Her son-in-law was infamous in her family of very good cooks for only eating 10 foods, so the question made some sense.  I have also been asked a similar question by dinner guests who have a violent nut or seafood allergy, and again they ask calmly and I reassure them that I remember their special needs.  

On the other hand, "can I get this cake cheaper" gets me flaming mad.  

Ditto for "you didn't really need that cake book back, did you?" when my copy of Lambeth disappeared into the ether of friends-of -friends...

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 3:17am
post #22 of 3221

F...u....n...n...y... post! 

My first 2 tier cake was going in my car and a neighbor came by and "ooooh'd and aaaah'd" and said, "You should sell these!  You could get lots of money!"

Yeah.......right...... That hobby cake only took about 30 hours.  

Thank Goodness I only do this for fun.  I might poke somebody's eye out if I had paying customers.

--------------------------

By the way, no need to use "moist" when describing your cakes.  Here are some possible synonyms:

damp - wet - humid - dank - soggy - dewy - watery

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

kazita Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 3:31am
post #23 of 3221

AI too just had a close friend tell me that I really should sell my cakes that I would make a good living right ok as my last post where the lady says she can't really afford a specialty cake but wanted one and after all its just cake. Grrrr

Nixs247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nixs247 Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 3:35am
post #24 of 3221

lol.. this is what happened a few weeks ago.

Customer: I need a 2-3 Tier Wedding Cake

Me: So will that be a 2 Tier or 3 Tier Cake?

Customer: hmmm....3 Tier 

Me: Ok, so can you advise me of the Bride & Grooms Colour Theme

Customer: The Groom is Black and his Bride is White!!!

Nixs247 Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 3:39am
post #25 of 3221

Another to add to the collection....

Will it be cheaper if we used Chopped Fruits instead of Whole Fruits for a fruit cake???

Answer is ......errrrr No it will cost you more! lol :o)

kazita Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 3:43am
post #26 of 3221

ANixs 247 I would of fell over laughing the I guess rephrased the question "what colors would you like on the cake , what color of flowers would you like" as I would still be laughing

kazita Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 3:47am
post #27 of 3221

ASounds like people think of all kinds of different ways to get a Cheap Specialty cake

Nixs247 Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 3:53am
post #28 of 3221

Kazita...when I'm having a trying day - my first post always puts a smile on my face.

Classic...lol

step0nmi Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 4:05am
post #29 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixs247 

lol.. this is what happened a few weeks ago.

Customer: I need a 2-3 Tier Wedding Cake

Me: So will that be a 2 Tier or 3 Tier Cake?

Customer: hmmm....3 Tier 

Me: Ok, so can you advise me of the Bride & Grooms Colour Theme

Customer: The Groom is Black and his Bride is White!!!

OMG!!! LMAO! YOU JUST MADE MY NIGHT! 

step0nmi Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 4:12am
post #30 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti 

F...u....n...n...y... post! 

My first 2 tier cake was going in my car and a neighbor came by and "ooooh'd and aaaah'd" and said, "You should sell these!  You could get lots of money!"

Yeah.......right...... That hobby cake only took about 30 hours.  

Thank Goodness I only do this for fun.  I might poke somebody's eye out if I had paying customers.

--------------------------

By the way, no need to use "moist" when describing your cakes.  Here are some possible synonyms:

damp - wet - humid - dank - soggy - dewy - watery

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

nice synonyms! ;) 

i don't get why people started with the whole "you should sell these" line. they don't have a business, they have no idea what they entail. why can't they ask "would a business work for you?" or something nicer...oh wait, people aren't nice :/ lol 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%