Flavoring And Extracts....?

Decorating By bittersweety Updated 12 Dec 2012 , 1:49am by bittersweety

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 6

AHey ladies and gents! Question..I typically rely on the usual suspects as far as flavoring goes...vanilla, almond, etc...but I've been hearing more about special flavorings with interesting names like from Lorann Oils, the Princess cake and cookie flavor...and heard another cutesy named flavor that was used in a popular buttercream recipe that I saw somewhere on CC not long ago... Anyways, any reviews or comments on these? Thanks!

5 replies
pinky73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky73 Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 6

Hi!

I usually stick to the standards also..but have used Lorann oils/flavorings and really like them. When I make raspberry or strawberry filling, I always add a few drops of raspberry or strawberry Lorann oils to enhance the fruit flavor. I have used the Princess and wedding bouquet flavorings in buttercream but I'm not a huge fan of those flavors. I started making my own vanilla extract a year ago and will never go back to the store bought stuff. Don't get me wrong, the store bought is fine and many companies produce a great product, but I save SO much money by making it myself..and I find that the quality I produce is fine for my purposes.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 6

If you have a Hobby Lobby near by they usually carry LorAnn flavors.  They were introduced as candy flavors yrs back and are usually *very* strong so if/whenyou use them start w/just one drop at a time to find how little you need :)

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 1:31am
post #4 of 6

To get an idea of the LorAnn flavours, buy a few in the dram size because that's not a lot of money.  Test them and see which ones you would buy in the ounce or four-ounce size.

I find that the LorAnn candy oils and all their ice cream flavours are the best; I think the emulsions are not nearly as good.  But that's my taste.

I think the basics like pineapple, coconut, pecan, creamy hazelnut, champagne, pistachio are excellent and they keep well enough to buy the economical ounce size.

cakeart105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeart105 Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 12:38pm
post #5 of 6

Hi, oh yes...these special flavors are becoming very popular. I have found a great selection of the little LorAnn bottles at Tomsann Cake Art Supplies. She combines the shipping cost when purchasing multiple flavors...which really brings down the price of shopping online. Here's the link: http://stores.ebay.com/Tomsann-Cake-Art-Supplies

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 1:49am
post #6 of 6

thanks ladies! i think i'll give them a try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%