Coconut Rum Cake?

Baking By Naty Updated 10 Dec 2012 , 6:42pm by Naty

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 5

AMaking the Bacardi rum cake but sub coconut cake mix for the yellow cake mix. Need ideas for the pudding tbat is added (cocnut instead of vanilla)? Glaze is butter, water, sugar & the rum. Sbould i sub cream of coconut for tbe butter or water in the glaze? I would appreciate any input. Thank you!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 5

Oh gosh I love that Bacardi cake love it.

I think I would use coconut rum in the glaze.

I tell yah what I used to do. I made it as written. Then I made this concoction of finely chopped toasted coconut and finely chopped pecans mixed with some brown sugar and flour then I pressed that mixture into the sides & bottom of the very well geased pan. So it was all solidly lining the pan for an eighth of an inch give or take. Put the batter into that and baked it.

It makes this lovely crust that is coconutty and amazing.

Then when I did the glaze I poked a few hole in the crust so it soaked the cake.

Have you ever made this before? The glaze is best when it goes hot onto the hot cake in my opinion.

So I'm not sure abut the other changes but there's an idea for you.

Oh my, I'm gonna have to make one now...

Naty Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 5

AThank you for your reply! Sounds delish!! I love the idea of the topping! I add a box of pudding, drained pineapple, flaked coconut and chopped cherries as well to the cake batter. I only have regular white rum now. But for next time will try with the coconut rum (i likedo Parrot Bay better than the Bacardi coconut). Thanks again! Could you please tell me the amounts you use for the pecans, coconut, brown sugar and flour? Thanks

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 5

I made it up.

Maybe a quarter or a third cup each  of coconut and pecans then two or three tablespoons of brown sugar and one or two tablespoons of flour give or take.

Naty Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 5

AThank you :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%