Lumps In Cooked Butter Frosting

Baking By Rhonlynn Updated 8 Jan 2013 , 4:06am by cakeyouverymuch

Rhonlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonlynn Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 19

We have made a Red Velvet Cake from scratch, and the recipe for the frosting, includes using a double boiler, with flour and buttermilk. It's an old recipe, and we've used it for years. What my question is, how do we mix in the double boiler, without creating lumps?

18 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 19

Mix the flour with the sugar then mix that with the liquid--you should be fine--oh and you have to stir constantly of course.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 19

AWhen I Google this I get all kinds of recipes for seven minute frosting. Not sure if that's what you are looking for but here is a video on it http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=0oErvsmSxWU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D0oErvsmSxWU

Rhonlynn Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 19

All it is is whole milk and flour. The sugar goes into the mixer, without cooking. 

-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 19

Oh, I make mine different.

Sift the flour and wisk (or is it whisk) it in there --cook stirring constatnly--you'll be fine.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 19

Stirring constantly meaning-- scrape the bottom of the pot all over--the flour down there on the bottom cooks first and just lays on the bottom of the pot so you have to keep that area fully engaged to avoid the lumps.

Also, you can seive it after it cooks and that will eliminate any stragglers.

kazita Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 19

Ahttp://chowhound.chow.com/topics/453100 here's a recipe maybe this is it

Rhonlynn Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 19

Here's the recipe. It's from like, the 1950's:

3 tblespoons flour

1 cup milk

1 cup butter do not substitute

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

combine flour and milk. Cook in top of double boiler over boiling water. Stirring occasionally, until the mixture becomes thick like custard. (4-5 minutes). Cover immediately, remove pan from heat and set aside to cool Cream butter and sugar, stir in vanilla, combine creamed mixture with custard, beat well. 

-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 9:00pm
post #10 of 19

I mean another way to do it ever more foolproof is to put the flour in a pan with two tablespoons of the butter--gently melt the butter and incorporate all the flour in it so it bubbles gently all together then add milk slowly while wisking briskly--bring back to a gentle boil--I softly boil anything like this for two minutes to cook the flour.

Hey cool recipe 'cause I'm like from the 50's --hahahahaha

Rhonlynn Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 9:01pm
post #11 of 19

I think next time we will try seiving what is there. That will work!!

-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 9:06pm
post #12 of 19

Yay!!!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 9:31pm
post #14 of 19

This recipe is actually very similar to boiled custard, except for the fact that it has no eggs in it. -K8memphis's idea of heating the flour with some of the butter is the fool-proof way to make lump-free gravy, so it will probably work splendidly here, too. I've tried to make this in a regular pot (I don't have a double boiler and my recipe called for just a normal pot, anyway) and it burned every time. I think it's time for me to invest in a double boiler, because everybody in my family thinks buttercream and fondant are way too sweet.

kazita Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 9:38pm
post #15 of 19

AWhen I make gravy I put ice cold milk and flour into a container with a lid than shake it hard for a couple minutes it gets the lumps out

Sweet_Stuff_Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Stuff_Cakery Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 9:43pm
post #16 of 19

Mix the flour with the cold milk that will eliminate the initial lumps,  then make sure to stir the entire time. After it has thickened you must put a piece of plastic over the top to eliminate a skin from forming while it is cooling. I make this frosting a lot. It was my grandfathers favorite. Make sure you incorporate the sugar slowly and beat till the grains are all gone. Its delicious. 

smizell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smizell Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 2:38am
post #17 of 19

AThat recipe is the one my grandmother always used and the lumps I have found come from the skin from it cooling. Generally, I make a double batch and avoid he skin while mixing, but I have also found success by stirring it several times while it cools.

smizell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smizell Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 2:49am
post #18 of 19

AThat recipe is the one my grandmother always used and the lumps I have found come from the skin from it cooling. Generally, I make a double batch and avoid he skin while mixing, but I have also found success by stirring it several times while it cools.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 4:06am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonlynn 

Here's the recipe. It's from like, the 1950's:

3 tblespoons flour

1 cup milk

1 cup butter do not substitute

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

combine flour and milk. Cook in top of double boiler over boiling water. Stirring occasionally, until the mixture becomes thick like custard. (4-5 minutes). Cover immediately, remove pan from heat and set aside to cool Cream butter and sugar, stir in vanilla, combine creamed mixture with custard, beat well. 

"stirring occasionally" should be "stirring constantly".  Adding a bit of the butter to the flour will help.  And seiving the custard will also help.  Its an awful lot of work for a frosting that is IMO no better than average.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%