Luggage Cart Out Of Gum Paste

Decorating By Mozon Updated 10 Dec 2012 , 10:06pm by Marianna46

Mozon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mozon Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 11

Hi,

I have an order for a  Welcome Back cake this weekend. The cake topper will be a lady pushing her luggage cart in an airport with her luggage piled n it.

I am trying to come up with a way to make an edible strong cart that will carry the weight of the luggage without breaking.

I intend on making the luggage out of rice crispy treats to keep them as light as possible.

Any ideas?

TIA

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 11

Describe an airport luggage cart to me all I can think of are the hotel ones--do they have those at airports? Do you mean the carry on bags on wheels? And how big is the topper going to be? How big is the cake it sits on?

Mozon Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 11

ANo not the hotels ones. I mean the ones you get at the airport to carry your luggage around. You know before u check in ur luggage or when u arrive and pick up you bags & take them to the car for example! It is going to be an 8" round cake. Im not carving the cake or any thing. I am only making a topper out of gumpaste. A figurine of the lady & her luggage on the cart.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 11
-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 11

Well I googled it and they just look real industrial? I haven't flown in a while.

The bottom of the luggage holder doesn't really have to hold everything up--it just has to look like it holds everything up.

You could attach a dried piece of gum paste or fondant to the bottom of the first suitcase and slap wheels underneath that. Dried fondant is pretty sturdy. I reinforce mine with cornstarch.

You could use spaghetti or linguine to make it even stronger.

She could have a scarf or coat sliding off the cart that provides 'cover' for a toothpuck or dowel that is helping to hold things in place.

Not sure if that helps but it's something.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you, Kazita!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 11

Where I live (hot and, especially, humid), I wouldn't trust gumpaste to hold the luggage up (RKTs can be heavier than you think!), but it might work. I think I'd try pastillage or Mexican paste. And I'm not just saying that because I live in Mexico! Hahaha! I just recently tried some of that, and it worked wonderfully for a couple of cakes where I needed a few really sturdy pieces. Pastillage is also very sturdy, but it's kind of hard to work with, I find. Hope you find something that will work for you! If you do, please let us know, and also post a picture - the idea sounds so cute!

Mozon Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 11

AAfter reading your reply k8memphis i was like DAH ofcourse it doesnt need to actually hold every thing! Why didn't I think of that before! LOL So thank you! I was planning on adding a coat on the cart. I might use it to cover up the bag support.

Mozon Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 11

AMariana.. I live in a very dry place & gum paste dries up really hard really quickly here.

I will definitely post pic when its done. Thank you :-)

-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 11:07pm
post #10 of 11

Awesome!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 11

Hahaha, Mozon, I just saw where you live. I guess the only thing we have in common is the heat and the sand! Best of luck with your cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%