Can You Freeze Sugar Cookies Decorated With Glace?

Baking By sheilabelle Updated 23 Dec 2012 , 8:02pm by SweetAnnalines

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 7

Customer wants 4 doz. cookies for over the holidays.  Wants to freeze them and pull what she needs when she needs them.  Is this possible and the what is the best way to do it?  TIA

6 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 7

I like baking cookies and freezing them.

But I usually freeze them without any icing or decoration, and I add water icing or powdered sugar after they have thawed all the way back to room temperature.  The reason is that moisture will accumulate on the sugar when coated cookies are taken from the freezer.

The best cookie icing for this customer would be ganache, because it will not be harmed by the possible condensation.  Use white chocolate ganache to paint the cookies, and then pipe decorations with coloured ganache. You can make all these with candy melts for your convenience.

Freeze decorated cookies in a single layer and then pack carefully into airtight containers. From this point on, the container MUST remain frozen at all times to prevent damage.

Take the time to print a sheet with advice for how to thaw these cookies.  

I would put the cookies onto a plate, cover with plastic, and thaw in the fridge.  Once the cookies sit in the fridge for a few hours, the plate can be unwrapped and put out for eating.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 7

Glace icing does NOT like to get cold! If you refrigerate or freeze the decorated cookies before the icing is completely set (a good 24 hous or more) the icing will end up looking splotchy. I've found that adding some brite white food color when you mix up your icing helps, but doesn't completely eliminate the problem.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ 

Glace icing does NOT like to get cold! If you refrigerate or freeze the decorated cookies before the icing is completely set (a good 24 hous or more) the icing will end up looking splotchy. I've found that adding some brite white food color when you mix up your icing helps, but doesn't completely eliminate the problem.

Susan, where you've been??!! haven't seen you in a while icon_smile.gif  ---thank you so much for your wondeful tips, you rock...always!! icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 13 Dec 2012 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 7

Hi, Rosie! A job switch has made getting on the computer difficult during the day, and my home computer doesn't like this website for some reason. It won't let me access it! So I spend most of my computer time on Flickr now. How's things with you???

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 14 Dec 2012 , 12:35am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ 

Hi, Rosie! A job switch has made getting on the computer difficult during the day, and my home computer doesn't like this website for some reason. It won't let me access it! So I spend most of my computer time on Flickr now. How's things with you???

Ohhhh, sorry to hear that Susan. ---I've been wanting to open up an account at Flickr!! but gosh, there's only 24 hrs in the day huh?! Life's good just too darn busy...one day I'll take vacation just to make cookies LOL! Take care Susan and please don't be a stranger! :)

SweetAnnalines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetAnnalines Posted 23 Dec 2012 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 7

AI would bag her cookies and freeze them in an airtight container. Remove one wrapped cookie and leave in the bag until defrosted. I just froze a few dozen decorated cookies for Christmas orders. Granted they were only frozen for a few days but I didn't have any problems. You have to make sure the cookies are well insulated and leave them in their packaging while they defrost. This allows the condensation to form on the outside of the container instead the of on the cookie.

I laid cookies on an airtight container, layered plastic wrap on top, more cookies more layers of wrap, etc. I made sure to smash up plastic wrap on the top layer of the box, insulating those cookies really well.

With this method I had no bleeding even with red on white icing.

Lauren

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%