Iquestion About Duff's Fondant For Figures

Decorating By mommachris Updated 9 Dec 2012 , 11:51pm by mommachris

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 7 Dec 2012 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 5

I've read in the past that Duff's fondant is not good for figures as them melt into little puddles instead of drying upright.

Has anyone tried adding tylose to it?

I like the taste and would rather use it on my nativity figures next week than the Wilton stuff. Blah!

An input would be appreciated.

mommachris

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Dec 2012 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 5

It probably won't harden up even if you put tylose into it, since it's a combination of candy clay and fondant. I did a whole long experiment with it because I slandered Fondarific on my blog and the Fondarific ladies contacted me to offer some samples to mess with. (oops!)  The Duff fondant is similar to, but not exactly the same as Fondarific, which obviously has some candy clay in it. The Fondarific people told me that it's not meant for modelling because of the composition and the fact that it won't harden up.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 12:28am
post #3 of 5

I used to only use Duffs because that is all I really had access to use.  I add about 30-50% gumpaste & it does very well.

The Dr. Seuss cake in my gallery is made with Duffs fondant!  http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2287035/a/2288035/  The number 1 was 50% & dried for 3 days

Now, I use Fondarific.  Love it!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 12:29am
post #4 of 5

All the pieces for Mr/Mrs.Potato head are made with combo of Fondarific:  http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2851015/a/3264501/

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you Ladies, feeling better about going into this next week.  I knew someone on here had done some experiments.
By the way you cakes are flat out amazing!

mommachris

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%