Last Minute Design Change - And I Mean Today!

Decorating By kblickster Updated 11 Dec 2012 , 5:49pm by SweetCheeksCake

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 6 Dec 2012 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 12

The person that ordered the cake called last night to say that she had a problem.  Apparently there has been a family emergency and she asked if she could pick up the bachelorette cake she ordered today instead of tomorrow.  No problem.  The cake and decorations are made and I can put it together today.

Then she tells me that due to the emergency the brides family will be in town and they thought it would be rude not to invite them to the shower.  So she doesn't want the same design.  Originally she had asked for racy lingerie on the floor, a antique tub with a girl in it with a glass of wine on top, a martini glass, a wine glass, a cosmo, and a mug of beer (all 3D) around the cake sides.  10"x 5" cake Buttercream icing in originally to be iced in bright pink. The lingerie is pink/black. 

Now she doesn't want the glasses or the hot tub.  I have a cute bra & panty set and 1 bustier that she said would work (they are small).   I have a slightly oversized 3D diamond ring that I made.  I have the bride's name and LAST FLING cut out. (This was to go on the cake board). 

She is going to pay me for the original design and the new one - so money is not an issue.  I just can't think of what to put on the cake that will go with the elements that she wants to leave.  I woke up all during the night worrying about it.  I've looked at a thousand pictures and it's just not coming to me.

I have lots of things on hand that I could use....rhinestone banding, lots of colors of fondant - ribbon.  Can't be elaborate with the time restraint, but she paid a lot of money for this cake and now is going to pay more so I want it to be nice.  I can put the Axxxx's Last Fling on top of the cake with the lingerie and ring, but I still have space to fill because the tub was the main focus of the top. 

Any ideas would be appreciated.

11 replies
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 6 Dec 2012 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 12

Difficult, I appreciate why you want to help her out, I personally would have wanted to say no to any extras; omissions only, but I'm not wagging my finger as I probably would have caved :)

I'm more a visual person- have you pic of the way it looks now- it might help to see what's 'missing' that way?

My first thoughts are whether you can convert the feel to be less of a 'last fling' into more of a play on what's normally expected in a bachelorette cake- could you keep the tub and portray her relaxing with her glass of wine and a bathroom door on the side of the cake with 'out partying' written on it?

kblickster Posted 6 Dec 2012 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 12

No pictures because the cake wasn't put together yet.  Best I can describe how it was supposed to look is girl in antique white claw foot tub soaking in bubble bath with her racy lingerie on the floor.  Kind of getting ready for her last fling.  The sides of the cake were the 3 D glasses (half of the glasses) which were to stand most of the height of the cake on a 12" cake board.  The lettering was to go on the board.  Oh and the bride is all about pink and bling and long leisurely baths.

The customer sent me a few pics of what she wanted.

tabathaba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabathaba Posted 6 Dec 2012 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 12

Could you still use the tub but leave it empty and just do lots of bubbles coming out and decorate the rest of the cake with bling, maybe a fondant bow around the bottom of the cake layer?

kblickster Posted 6 Dec 2012 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 12

I already had the figure in the tub.  I guess I could get her out without to much damage and just make a few more bubbles to fill it up.  I was don't think I have enough time for a bow to set.  I am thinking it would need to be black to blend in with the lingerie colors.  If I added Tylose would it set in a few hours?  I thought about a black ruffle on the side kind of like the one below by mamadu with the rhinestone ribbon in the middle which is very feminine and looks nice but doesn't seem to go with the tub. 

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 6 Dec 2012 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 12

For the next time:

"I'm sorry, but it is too late for any changes to be made to the cake at this time."

At least you are getting paid for your aggravation.

kblickster Posted 6 Dec 2012 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 12

Well - it certainly is aggravating.  I hated what she chose to begin with and it was a pain to create.  She paid a lot for it though. 

I've calmed down a little and decided to go with something very simple.  She really has no choice at this point. 

Thanks for your time.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 6 Dec 2012 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 12

I can't wait to see a picture!!!

kblickster Posted 7 Dec 2012 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 12

I know I am new to this and have to toughen up - but the story got even worse.  I rushed and threw a new cake design together - it turned out OK but I wasn't thrilled.  I was waiting for her to pick it up last night when she calls and says she's not going to make it.  ARRRGH!!!!!!  Then she has the nerve to ask me if I can deliver the cake to her husbands work today as he is a busy man and can't come and get it. (Family emergency is her excuse for all the problems.)

I caved again.  I am really upset with myself.  The cake was delivered at lunch today to a very ungrateful husband who never even opened the box.  He did pay me for both cakes though.icon_smile.gif

How do you guys do it?

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 7 Dec 2012 , 7:55pm
post #10 of 12

Take the money and buy yourself a big old _____________ to make you feel better or give some to someone in need.  Count it a blessing that you are the type of person who is willing to put others before herself, because those are few and far between these days.  Last but not least, print this thread and frame it for the next time someone tries this.  :)

tabathaba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabathaba Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 2:22am
post #11 of 12

Good for you for taking care of yourself financially and for being a good person! Just because some people don't appreciate you doesn't mean you should stop being sweet. Thanks for being such a good example!

SweetCheeksCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCheeksCake Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 5:49pm
post #12 of 12

Bad customer service travels twice as fast as good customer service, so it was a great thing you did by being so nice and working with her. It sets the tone for how you treat all your customers. You know she is going to tell the story about her cake to everyone at her party, so maybe you will get more business because people realize how great you are to work with. While it does suck to be taken advantage of sometimes, it comes with the business. At least you got paid for your work and it is good experience for you. Nice job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%