"piping Gel That Works" Recipe...is There Another Substitute For Lemon Juice

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 5 Dec 2012 , 1:28am by cakeyouverymuch

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Dec 2012 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 5

I just made the Piping Gel that works recipe and although the consistency is great etc..I am not keen on the lemon flavor...

Is there another substitute I can use instead of lemon juice?..I have to make a large batch for a swimming pool cake and I'm afraid the lemon flavor will clash with the vanilla icing flavor...

What does the lemon juice do to the recipe anyway?is it need for acid etc?

Thanks

Laurelthumbs_up.gif

4 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Dec 2012 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know the "Why?" of the lemon juice, but I'm not a fan of the fact that it leaves the piping gel cloudy.  I've always used vinegar in place of the lemon juice. It gives a clearer product and it's just easier to get true colors when adding food color to it. 

I will say though that I've found that using the gel over fondant causes the fondant to break down a bit and any gumpaste that it touches will melt also.  I generally avoid the issue by putting a light coating of buttercream between the piping gel and any fondant or gumpaste pieces that must touch it.  hth

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Dec 2012 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Cakeyouverymuch...icon_wink.gif.

Will vinegar eliminate the acid taste?..I want it to taste like regular wilton piping gel..no flavor...Does vinegar do this??

Thanks Laurel thumbs_up.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Dec 2012 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 5

I am using it over WBH icing so there is no problem of mushy fondant etc...

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 5 Dec 2012 , 1:28am
post #5 of 5

No, it will still have the acid taste, but I actually prefer the vinegar to the lemon flavor.  I think the acid might be to prevent the growth of any bacteria, but if you aren't storing it long term, that's not going to be an issue.  I'd give it a go with all water and see how the texture works for you.  If you try it, let us know how it turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%