Learning......been Convential Cake Decorator

Lounge By shanley Updated 12 Dec 2012 , 5:32am by BakingIrene

shanley Posted 3 Dec 2012 , 12:53am
post #1 of 3

Hi, need some tips of the experts to encourage a newbe......I'm wanting to design a baby shower cake, how do you make your patterns for the decorations?  (I also sew)

2 replies
SweetCheeksCake Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 4:59am
post #2 of 3

Depends on what decorations you were thinking of doing. I usually sketch out what I want to do, helps me figure out how much work will actually go into the cake. If you haven't decorated a lot but still want to make some fancier things I'd recommend frosting transfers, basically you color in an outline with frosting and transfer that to the cake. Baby booties are pretty easy to do as well, and they look fairly fancy. If you sew and quilt you could do the quilting effect if working with fondant. When making specific patterns I use wax paper and try not to mess them up so I can use them again. Also, make them the exact size as the decoration you will be doing. Good luck :)

BakingIrene Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 5:32am
post #3 of 3

Free pattern treasurehouse: go to www.wilton.com and look at the left side.  Down the page there is a button "pattern locator" click on that and there are links to thousands of cake patterns that can be downloaded and printed in any size you want. The search feature works pretty well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%