Twinkle Dust Question

Decorating By GraceSolomon Updated 2 Dec 2012 , 6:31pm by costumeczar

GraceSolomon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GraceSolomon Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 2:51am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone!

I was hoping someone could offer me some guidance.  A friend of mine asked me to make a cake for her daughter's birthday.  However, she wants the cake completely covered in light green glitter.  Is this even possible.  I was thinking of covering a cake in light green fondant and then brushing on the sour apple twinkle dust.  Would the cake still be edible after all this?  I was looking at the PME Edible Luster Sprays but I just wanted something more glittery.  Any thoughts?  Thank you so much!!!!

8 replies
heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 4:00am
post #2 of 9

I don't know if this will help you but I will tell you what I do.  I purchased some pearlized dusts made by Crystal Colors.  These are 100% FDA food safe. I mix a bit of this with a small amount  confectioner's sugar and dust it on the fondant with a food safe brush.  It leaves a shimmery surface to the fondant without being over the top.  To change up or darken colors I add a bit of petal dust and confectioner's sugar along with the Crystal Colors dusts.  HTH

GraceSolomon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GraceSolomon Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 5:11am
post #3 of 9

AThank you so much Heartsnsync - I love the idea of the pearalized dusts but I think that my friend wants it to look "over the top". Do you think I can safely use the twinkle dust on the entire cake? How would I apply it?

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 5:44am
post #5 of 9

Even though sold as 'food', as charmed says, they are NOT edible.  They may be 'non-toxic' but that only means very small amounts will pass through the body w/o major harm but could build up in internal organs over time &/or be a problem for people w/health issues.

This is the time for YOU the professional to educate the public. 

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 6:10am
post #7 of 9
RosesCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosesCupcakes Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 9

I have seen powdered, edible glitter and shimmery colors (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00434HQ4W/?tag=cakecentral-20+food+color); however, you have to be careful that it does not contain titanium dioxide because it is a carcinogen if inhaled.

I also found edible glitter that you may be interested in (not sure of the ingredients): http://www.michaels.com/Edible-Glitter/bk0394,default,pd.html?start=74&cgid=products-bakeware-cakedecorating

Good luck!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 6:31pm
post #9 of 9

I wouldn't cover a cake with disco dust, it's just plastic. You can make edible glitter from Wilton gumtex, or just buy it, but it won't be so sparkly. http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-to-make-edible-glitter.html

You could put some gumpaste pieces on the cake that did have the disco dust on them, but make sure they know not to eat them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%