Can Anyone Explain This Mystery Christmas Tree Pan?

Decorating By threetexastots Updated 8 Jan 2013 , 12:50pm by fcakes

threetexastots Posted 1 Dec 2012 , 4:47am
post #1 of 21

Hi, a friend of mine came across this Christmas tree pan, and we cannot figure out how it's supposed to be used. It would leave large holes in the cake - to be filled with something, maybe? I tried googling and couldn't find it, she emailed Wilton and has not heard back.


Thanks for any help you can provide!




20 replies
soledad Posted 1 Dec 2012 , 4:57am
post #2 of 21

Maybe you just have to put cupcakes  decorated as  ornaments??? It's a thoughicon_eek.gif

AAtKT Posted 1 Dec 2012 , 5:21am
post #3 of 21

I saw this at the store too!


Wondered the same thing too!


And maybe I am inept (quite possibly), but I can't seem to find it on Wilton's site either...

threetexastots Posted 1 Dec 2012 , 5:28am
post #4 of 21

AShe said the holes are too small for cupcakes, that was my first suggestion, too!

Jess155 Posted 1 Dec 2012 , 6:45am
post #5 of 21

How odd!


Here's my guess-  So you bake a green colored cake in the pan.  Then wash the pan.  Then put maybe red or different colors of batter in the cavities and bake in the other side of the pan.  Then when all is done, you fill your green cake tree with the colored "plugs" (for lack of a better word) so it looks like a tree with ornaments when you cut into it???

shanter Posted 1 Dec 2012 , 8:19am
post #6 of 21

Votive candles?

AAtKT Posted 1 Dec 2012 , 1:51pm
post #7 of 21

I like Jess's idea... I didn't look closely enough at the pan to see if that was what it was for... but it is a good idea...

Sweet4U Posted 1 Dec 2012 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 21

In my opinion, mini-cupcakes would fitand look great........decorated separately from the cake and placed on the decorated tree, like Christmas tree ornaments. 

Or you could make tree ornaments out of donut holes by rolling them in different colors of thinned buttercream and then multi colored sprinkles and place them in the holes on the decorated tree.

It will be interesting to see what Wilton says the holes are for. 

juleebug Posted 1 Dec 2012 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 21

I had the same idea as Jess155.

newbaker55 Posted 1 Dec 2012 , 11:55pm
post #10 of 21

I'd do the mini-cupcake thing.


Curiosity got the best of me so I searched all over, including Wilton, but can't find anything about this pan. OP does it have a product number? Did your friend find it in a store or a yard sale?  

thallo Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 1:04am
post #11 of 21

I've seen this pan at two different Wal-Marts.  I think it is something that Wilton made just for them.  But I couldn't figure out how to use it so I passed on it.  I'll be interested to see in someone figures it out.

fcakes Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 1:53am
post #12 of 21

AThat is so weird! Do let us know if you find out anything! You're got me intrigued lol!

cakesbykathys Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 5:38pm
post #13 of 21

yes please let us know what the holes are for when or if you do find out I am curious too

soledad Posted 3 Dec 2012 , 6:11am
post #14 of 21
cakemaker5 Posted 13 Dec 2012 , 5:09pm
post #15 of 21

After much discussion (and confusion) over this pan (which we also purchased!), we think that you are supposed to turn the pan over, pour cake mix in the hole part and bake it (to make the mini cupcakes), and then flip the pan over, pour cake mix in the tree part and bake that.  Then, you can put the baked "holes" into the tree cake and decorate them like ornaments.  Not sure if that is correct or not, but that is the best explanation we could come up with, and it is what we are going to try!

sillydragonfly Posted 14 Dec 2012 , 6:22am
post #16 of 21

AI found the answer on Wilton site. You fill the holes with m&ms to make them look like bulbs...kinda strange so all the more reason too try it. Its the holiday green tree cake.

Auntiemdesserts Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 1:08am
post #17 of 21

I have been a cake decorator for about 13yrs and have never seen a pan like this. I found one today at Walmart and decided to get it and research it. If I cant figure it out, I will just take it bck. I do know that you do not turn the pan upside down and bake in the holes. I thought maybe you just fill the holes with a cream or fruit filling of some sort. Strange though, i looked in the wilton cake decorating books and it wasn't in any of them either.

Jess155 Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 2:09am
post #18 of 21
Originally Posted by sillydragonfly 

I found the answer on Wilton site. You fill the holes with m&ms to make them look like bulbs...kinda strange so all the more reason too try it. Its the holiday green tree cake.

You found it?  I looked all over the Wilton site and couldn't find it - could you post a link?  That's really weird that Wilton said the holes were to be filled with M&Ms.  That would be really hard to cut and messy.  What were they thinking?

Jess155 Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 2:22am
post #19 of 21  -- Look at Step 5.

Wow, that's it.  That seems like quite a silly thing, filling them with M&Ms.  Kids would love it though.

fcakes Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 1:01am
post #20 of 21

AWow! Thanks for ending the mystery! There's no pic on there, though!

fcakes Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 12:50pm
post #21 of 21

AI bought this pan at Walmart for 2 bucks yesterday.....:) Thanks for solving the mystery....guess I could use it for kids treats or something!

Quote by @%username% on %date%