Ughh...my Cake Disaster

Decorating By melissalovespandas Updated 7 Dec 2012 , 7:12pm by vtcake

melissalovespandas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissalovespandas Posted 1 Dec 2012 , 2:28am
post #1 of 15

So I made this princess cake for someone who was on a budget, it turned out very cute BUT when I went to deliver it the crown that I made out of gumpaste cracked :( I feel so bummed out. I OBVIOUSLY gave her the cake for free, but days like this make me feel like I want to quit decorating cakes! I hate my life right now. I feel so stressed.

14 replies
julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 1 Dec 2012 , 2:44am
post #2 of 15

You gave it for free!? I would have went to the dollar store and gotten a plastic one. 

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 1 Dec 2012 , 2:45am
post #3 of 15

I understand how you feel but we all have days like this.  Next time place all the decorations after delivering the cake.  The cake is really cute!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 1 Dec 2012 , 3:03am
post #4 of 15

It isn't really a cake disaster.  The cake itself looks beautiful!  It was just the crown and I know that upsets you, but you still did a beautiful job and should be proud of what you did.  Hopefully tomorrow you'll feel better about yourself and not feel so stressed.  As was mentioned above, these things sometimes happen to all bakers, so just look at it as learning a new lesson regarding cake decorating and move forward.  Even with this dreary, wet weather we're having, tomorrow will be a better day!

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 1 Dec 2012 , 5:14am
post #5 of 15

Awwww!  So sad for you!  It happens to ALL of us.  My tips....  Always make a duplicate - I place it in a tupperware container without the lid and put it in my cooler room in the basement where the kids can't knock it over.  If you don't break the original, you'll already have one ready when someone from the party asks you for the exact same cake ! ;)

Second, make some gum glue, put it in a tiny container and bring a small paintbrush to delivery for any last second repairs.  Gum glue dries fast and HARD! 

Third, deliver without the delicate decorations and assemble onsite.

Last, give yourself a break - awesome cake!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 1:20am
post #6 of 15

Cracked crown or not, no way in H3ll that would've been free! I give free cupcakes when they roll around inside the box during transport, but I don't do cakes for free! I would've taken $8 off, or gotten the plastic one like other people said.

VKakes11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VKakes11 Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 2:07am
post #7 of 15

I'm sorry this happened to you. I love CC because everyone is just - so sweet an resassuring. :)

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 2:36am
post #8 of 15

Too bad that happened but the cake is adorable.  I agree with the others about the freebie.  Discount yes but not free.  Not sure how badly it broke but I made some fairies for my great-niece's birthday and one of the wings broke off.  I simply "glued" it with melted white chocolate and it held up just fine.  Also a good idea in the future for something delicate to have a spare just in case.  These things happen don't let it get you down.

candycorn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candycorn123 Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 1:04pm
post #9 of 15

I dont feel too good myself, i delivered a 16th birthday cake 25 min. late, The mother fumed and ranted that I was keeping back the whole proceedings, This is my first bad reaction from a customer so it wears a little heavy but as someone said "" just learn from it and move foreward."

melissalovespandas Posted 3 Dec 2012 , 7:56pm
post #10 of 15

aww thanks for all the replies. I guess I was over-reacting. I'm a very soft person and I get nervous when something like this happens, thats why I gave it for free! :(
I was also tired, I made a hookah pipe shaped cake, a juicy couture purse cake, and a toy story 3 tiered cake, 4 dozen cupcakes and 48 custom cake pops! all in a weekend. so that had me very tired and anxious.

Thanks for all the replies, it made me feel better <3

melissalovespandas Posted 3 Dec 2012 , 7:56pm
post #11 of 15

eek, I'm so sorry. customers sometimes can be really mean :(

melissalovespandas Posted 3 Dec 2012 , 7:57pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKakes11 

I'm sorry this happened to you. I love CC because everyone is just - so sweet an resassuring. :)

yes :) I agree

melissalovespandas Posted 3 Dec 2012 , 7:58pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycorn123 

I dont feel too good myself, i delivered a 16th birthday cake 25 min. late, The mother fumed and ranted that I was keeping back the whole proceedings, This is my first bad reaction from a customer so it wears a little heavy but as someone said "" just learn from it and move foreward."

I know how you feel, the first time I had an upset customer I felt like crap for a week, haha the day that happened I cried myself to sleep. but I got over it. :)

melissalovespandas Posted 3 Dec 2012 , 7:59pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailsByDawn 

Awwww!  So sad for you!  It happens to ALL of us.  My tips....  Always make a duplicate - I place it in a tupperware container without the lid and put it in my cooler room in the basement where the kids can't knock it over.  If you don't break the original, you'll already have one ready when someone from the party asks you for the exact same cake ! ;)

Second, make some gum glue, put it in a tiny container and bring a small paintbrush to delivery for any last second repairs.  Gum glue dries fast and HARD! 

Third, deliver without the delicate decorations and assemble onsite.

Last, give yourself a break - awesome cake!

:O whats gum glue? icon_surprised.gif

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 7 Dec 2012 , 7:12pm
post #15 of 15

Yes, you obviously were way too stressed out after committing yourself to so many cakes in one weekend. One was bound to have a problem. Your cake was great, and in my opinion the main problem was that you thought so little of your talent that you gave it for free. If I was the client, I'd certainly suck it up about a cracked crown if it meant I'd get the cake for nothing. Live and learn, that's all anyone can do. Don't feel badly, you more than compensated them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%