Help Please

Business By katielou84 Updated 7 Dec 2012 , 5:32pm by Ducky316

katielou84 Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 1:23am
post #1 of 5

I have recently started baking  and decorating cakes, as i'm new to this ive just been making cakes as a hobby and giving them to friends and family,

Do i need a health and hygiene certificate to do this?

I dont receive any money for my cakes.


I dont want to get into any trouble so would appreciate your help x

4 replies
Norasmom Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 1:36am
post #2 of 5

As long as you don't receive money it's fine.  Once you start taking money, even if for ingredients, a board of health certificate is required under cottage food laws.

katielou84 Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 1:42am
post #3 of 5

Ok, thank you very much for your help! x

heartsnsync Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 8:38am
post #4 of 5

I do not know where you are from but if you decide to start getting paid, even if it is only reimbursement for costs, you will need to find out what your local laws entail.  Many states have cottage food laws and have requirements that have to be fulfilled.  Then, there are quite often additional requirements or limitation from your local county and city.  There are resourced here on CC that list states and give websites to get information for the cottage food laws that apply.  HTH

Ducky316 Posted 7 Dec 2012 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 5

These staes do not currently have cottage food laws...Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, and South Dakota

Quote by @%username% on %date%