Stained Glass Effect

Decorating By Ballymena Updated 30 Nov 2012 , 12:29am by kblickster

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 4:25am
post #1 of 6

I would like to make a stained glass cake but am worried that by painting the cake the people eating it would be left with food coloring on their hands and mouth. Does this happen? I know that when I airbrush cakes this happens.

5 replies
SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 6:00am
post #2 of 6

Hand-painted stained glass wedding cake. It was modeled after another cake the bride had seen. I used marshmallow fondant to cover the cake and then hand-painted the design with food coloring.

I made this stained glass cake and I used Americolor gel colors but watered down. I'm sure it would've stained their hands and teeth if they ate all the marshmallow fondant but to be honest, I don't think the bride cared. She got the cake she wanted and so I'm assuming that's more important. Plus, I don't like the texture of fondant so I never eat it anyway. I hope that helps ease your mind a little! :) Happy caking!

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 6

I made a stained glass window cake by using gel colors and piping gel. It only takes a tiny amount of gel color to color piping gel, so there is no chance of teeth/hands being discolored.  Also, the end effect looks just like a stained glass window.

VKakes11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VKakes11 Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 6

I love the stained glass cake shown above - very artistic!

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 6

I make a home made fondant and it is usually eaten so I am still uneasy with painting color right on the cake.

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 12:29am
post #6 of 6

I made one and painted it with Wilton gel colors and lemon extract for most of it.  Ran out of extract and used Vodka for the rest.  No noticeable difference in how it went on or how it looked.  I was present when the cake was cut and eaten.  No stains that I noticed.  I was worried though.  Very vibrant colors outlined in black. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%