What's The Best Thing To Use For Cutting Shapes From Fondant Using An Exacto Knife?

Decorating By perfectcakebyshirley Updated 21 Feb 2014 , 4:06am by AZCouture

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 19

I have the Arteco blue mat for rolling out fondant to cover cakes, but I've been using a thin plastic cutting board/mat for cutting out small pieces using an exacto knife. It gets cut up and warped real fast. I've looked, but so far haven't found any other mats that are smooth (no texture). What's the best thing to use? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

18 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 2:15am
post #2 of 19

I buy plastic cutting sheets at the Dollar Tree. They come two in a package, and when they get messed up I can still use them for cutting veggies, etc. I throw them in the dishwasher. Also, they are excellent for rolling out small quantities of fondant for decorations because fondant doesn't stick to them.

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 19

Look no further, this has been my saving grace and the BEST tip i have gotten off cake central in a long time. Go to michaels and in the scrapbook section is a bunch of mats, called self healing mats. When you cut on them it heals itself and this has been a lifesaver, they are nice and thick and come in all sizes. I too used to use the cheap plastic cutting boards, but they are a headache. Use this and you will thank me forever:)

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 19

Self healing mats!

IHeartCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHeartCupcakes Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 19

I use a floor tile that I purchased at home depot.  Works like a charm!

VKakes11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VKakes11 Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 19

All good ideas, especially the floor tiles. I'm going to keep this in mind

perfectcakebyshirley Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 19

Thanks for all the ideas!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannycakers 

Look no further, this has been my saving grace and the BEST tip i have gotten off cake central in a long time. Go to michaels and in the scrapbook section is a bunch of mats, called self healing mats. When you cut on them it heals itself and this has been a lifesaver, they are nice and thick and come in all sizes. I too used to use the cheap plastic cutting boards, but they are a headache. Use this and you will thank me forever:)

Ahhhh, thank you for this tip!!  Do you know what brand are those 'self-healing' mats'? are they smooth?? I wanna go get one right now!! lol  

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 12:17am
post #9 of 19

I have two of them one is a OLFA rotary mat and the other is Ghinger.  Both of them came from fabric shops.

AZCouture Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 5:38pm
post #10 of 19

Martha Stewart mat.

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 19

One day they had cricut cake mats on clearance at AC Moore. I bought those and they are perfect for cutting things with the exacto knife. You need to dust well with cornstarch before you start cutting so the cutouts will come off easily. I thought about the self-healing mats, but I can't figure out what they are made of. It looks rubbery, could be rubber or latex and I didn't know if they were food safe. I assume the cricut mats are because it is a machine made specifically for cake. 

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 12:46am
post #12 of 19

I use the flexible cutting boards as well, or just straight on my granite counter.  You could buy a granite cutting board or tile (granite will dull your blade quicker, but they are so inexpensive anyway).  I wouldn't recommend using tile or quilting mats, unless they are specifically marked at food safe.

Izza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izza1 Posted 20 Feb 2014 , 1:51am
post #13 of 19

I purchased the OLFA self healing mat and I noticed that when I was rolling out my white fondant, the small square design on the mat rubbed onto my fondant. Any suggestions? 

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 20 Feb 2014 , 3:44am
post #14 of 19

I wouldn't use the OLFA for rolling out fondant on, but for placing smaller pieces on to further define with an Xacto knife or plunger cutter.  OLFA mats were created for quilting, .................cutting fabric out with a rotary cutter.  The cut marks would close up and "heal" themselves.

perfectcakebyshirley Posted 20 Feb 2014 , 3:57pm
post #15 of 19

At Joann Fabrics, I found these almost clear mats meant to use for quilting, but work great for fondant! They don't have any lines, rulers, etc. on them, they're totally smooth, and they've been holding up well. They're kind of a "cloudy" clear color, if that makes sense, and are really inexpensive. I've been hand washing them - haven't tried the dishwasher.

Newcakebaker_2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newcakebaker_2012 Posted 20 Feb 2014 , 5:27pm
post #16 of 19

AI actually bought a marble pastry board that I love. I mostly got it for when I roll dough out but I also figured it would be a great tool for rolling out fondant.

Izza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izza1 Posted 20 Feb 2014 , 9:10pm
post #17 of 19

Thank you so much for the reply. =)

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 20 Feb 2014 , 10:52pm
post #18 of 19

I wasn't aware that self-healing cutting mats (or floor tiles) were food-safe.

(And hey, how come, on a food-oriented board, we don't have any emoticons for "nauseous" or "definitely not Good Eats"?)

AZCouture Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 4:06am
post #19 of 19

AOh the drama. Yeah, it wouldn't be good eats to bite a chunk of rubber. Wash it, sanitize it, replace it once you have cut into badly, or it's just "time". Rolling out little decorations on a clean and sanitized surface is perfectly fine in most reasonable adults minds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%