Converting Recipe From 9"x13" Pan To Round Pans?

Baking By alstarks0209 Updated 10 Dec 2012 , 11:14pm by -K8memphis

alstarks0209 Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 5

Hello All,

I have a cake recipe I really like that serves 24 using a 9"x13" pan.

I need to make two 6" round cakes, two 9" round cakes, and two 12" round cakes. All 3" tall pans.

How do I calculate the ingredientsfrom the rectangle pan to the rounds?

Thanks for any help.

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 5

Guess how much batter you get from one recipe--anywhere from six to eight cups give or take. Then go to this chart, Wilton Cake Data Chart and do the math.

You need 41 cups of batter and that's probably 5 to 6 recipes.

When I need to determine the batter I need for a pan not listed ex. the 9" round-- I take half the difference in the amount for the 8" and the 10" and add to the smaller pan amount. The amount for the 8" is 5 cups the amount for the 10" is 8 cups so the difference is 3 cups--half of that is 1.5 so add that to the 5 cups (for the 8") that's 6.5 cups for one layer and 13 cups for a two layer.

SkisandBakes Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 5

Estimate the volume of batter you usually get out of your recipe - try filling your 9x13 pan with water to the level you would normally fill the batter and measure the volume of water. Do the same for your new pans. A little division and you have the number of batches of your original recipe you need to make.

Here is a conversion chart that I have used with success.

kakeladi Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 5

Using 3" deep pans will change any chart you might be guided to unless, of course, it is designated for 3" deep pans :)    Also consider is the 9x13 that you use 3" deep? Most likely not so your best bet is to fill each pan w/water,  measuring that to see how much total batter you will need.  Do the same w/your 9x13 pan so you know how much batter that pan holds in order to compare.

-K8memphis Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 5

Lynne is right of course. And Wilton does have a guide for three inchers--just go to the guide and scroll down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%