Crazy Mother Of The Bride!! *long*

Business By SweetPea0613 Updated 3 Dec 2012 , 9:23am by Nixs247

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 6:11am
post #1 of 41

So be warned...this is the longest email I have ever read!

So this lady ordered her daughter's engagement cake after they had done a tasting and ordered their wedding cake. They loved how moist my cake was and how good the buttercream was. At the tasting the groom asked for a discount since there would be sooo many members of their parish there and I would get a lot of business from their wedding. They were already getting a cheaper rate since they saw me at a bridal show and I honored my old price. I just offered $30 off because I felt like being nice I guess. I was hoping they wouldn't order since I knew they would be difficult to deal with. Well, they ordered the wedding cake their  wedding was saturday.

I got this email today from the brides mom. What are everyone's feelings on this??

My daughter Michelle looked so beautiful.  The whole wedding party look so pretty, their hair, their dresses the bouquets, beautiful. The wedding was wonderful, with one huge glitch.  The mass so personal and touching since they are members of  ACTS and are know in the parish and by the priest.   The Bride looked like a bride right out of a fashion magazine so I was told by many.  They looked like Barbie and Ken. They wooed everyone. The bouquets by Katherine's Flower Shop were gorgeous.  They must have been expensive. People asked where the flowers were from including a man who's daughter will be getting married, they wooed everyone. The reception was scrumptious.  Food was so elegant, delicious and the waiters were so professionals.  Believe me they wooed everyone. The ballroom wooed everyone, so elegant, music was great and the waiters were so professional. People who had not been there loved it.  The  cake was a huge disappointment. I could not believe it was a cake from Sweet pea Cakes.  As I had mentioned to you, I myself am a cake decorator. I want to be sincere and tell you I do not believe you created it.  I have seen your work and they wedding shower cake was nothing like this wedding cake.  It did not look or taste professionally made.  It was not what we had ordered. The cake was suppose to have the initials in rhinestones or bling, it looked so bad, the initials were not even proportioned to the top layer of the cake. You had said you would come up with something so that the initial would stand out and it didn't. They were not appealing. The cake was supposed to have a shine to it and it didn't.  The round tall cake was suppose to have the quilted look to it with rhinestones in the center of each cross, it didn't.  It only had piping on it.  It had so much frosting on the cake it was not tasteful. The orange layer and marble layer of the cake were dry.  The cake had so much frosting on it, it looked like it had muffin tops, it was budging out of the layers. The design of the cake was poor, the branches were huge and had a few flower on it.  It looked unfinished and sloppy. On parts of the tree stumps, it literally looked as if the tree had been uprooted with the roots pointing upward.  In a wedding the bride and the cake are the main event. The couple was sad.  I was truly disappointed and sad to see their disappointment.  This cannot be taken back and be fixed.  We chose Sweet pea cakes  believing in you. You did not deliver. This cake wooed no one.

40 replies
cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 6:26am
post #2 of 41

Well other than her over use of the word "woo" and inability to make paragraphs, what did the cake look like?

Is there a photo?

Was it completely different from the sketch that was shown to the couple?

When you left the cake, was it okay? Not bulging etc as she describes?

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 6:28am
post #3 of 41

Ps- I do think that when people start up the talk about how much business you will get when people see the cake at their party/wedding etc etc...that is usually a warning about someone. I don't like tactics like that.

SweetPea0613 Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 6:49am
post #4 of 41

AI uploaded the picture Earlier. It's the gold and bronze flower cake. That picture was taken before we left the venue. It looked exactly like the sketch.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 7:30am
post #5 of 41

I think the cake is beautiful. I think the email was a little strange and raises red flags. Did you hear from the bride?

hieperdepiep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hieperdepiep Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 9:25am
post #6 of 41

What a stunning cake you made! It's a really pretty picture. I am sure everybody whooed over it. ;-) When you make cakes like that I am sure your drawing and reading sketches ability is excellent.

So I can't understand their critizism. I actually think, because she mentioned being a cakedecoretor herself, she knows how afraid people can be and tend to give money back.  Being from the Netherlands (so a slightly different culture, we don't sue people over here about everything, nor ask for refunds with every small mistake someone makes) I would say; 'be confident, state that you loved your cake and are sure others would do to and wish her a lovely day."

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 10:55am
post #7 of 41

your heading says it all!! CRAZY!!!

I cant see the muffin tops, the tree looks perfect to me, the intials looks like edible initials would look. The only thing that I can agree with it that there was nothing in the crosses of the quilting, but that depends on what your contract states.

Wait until you hear back form the bride, she might have a totally different view

BTW I LOL at the

Quote:
 People who had not been there loved it.

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 11:49am
post #8 of 41

Hmmmmmm there is something not quite right about that email!  

Have you replied yet?  Can you contact the venue and find out if they've had any issues with this wedding party??  

jcwittman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcwittman Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 12:09pm
post #9 of 41

Your cake is beautiful! These crazies are just looking for a price break. Shameful that they would put you through this just to save a few bucks! If she really is a cake decorator herself then she should know how much of yourself you pour into your work. I hope you stand behind your cake, because it's lovely.

robinmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinmarie Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 12:33pm
post #10 of 41

The lady probably sent the same email to all the vendors, just changing the email to fit that particular vendor.  Your cake is stunning and I would have been proud to have that at my wedding!icon_biggrin.gif

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 12:54pm
post #11 of 41

AUgh. She is crazy! That is a gorgeous cake!

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 1:06pm
post #12 of 41

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this cake!  It's gorgeous and classy.  What is the deal about the branches looking uprooted??  No bulging and no muffin tops.  What a nutcase!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 1:14pm
post #13 of 41

Usually the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  However, in this case, the mob is way off.  Other than a slight possibility of confusion with the quilted look on the tall tier, the cake is beautiful.  I expected a cake with some serious flaws.  Not the case.  This has that classic branch with flowers look, that so many request.

I would not respond.  Anyone who hears her description of the cake and looks at it will realize her disconnect.

Also, if the couple is sad over having a cake like this at their wedding, they are in for an awful marriage and life.  Their glass is half empty. You cannot fix that. (Unless you are a licensed psychiatrist - in which case, you might be able to fix that!)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 1:17pm
post #14 of 41

AThere is nothing wrong with that cake. Definitely no bulges. Please call the venue, photographer and DJ. Ask them is there were any issues. I once had something similar happen. The cake was fine, the venue told me everything was fine, the DJ who was standing close to the couple as they cut the cake said everything was fine and the photographer had pictures from the night and everything was fine. The MOB was described as "critical" of everything. The brides was happy. All the vendors ignored the mom.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 1:24pm
post #15 of 41

This monster MOB was probably walking around with a picture of one of those Colette Peters wedding cakes in her head.  Hence anything you made would not match (regardless of how truly excellent you made it).

Red flag was where they started nickeling and diming you about price.  Asking for last year's grocery prices would get them thrown out of the store and reported to the police...right?  YOU have absolutely no reason to offer last year's prices this year.  Nor a discount on top of that.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 3:03pm
post #16 of 41

The cake you made is very pretty.  I guess whether the MOB has a gripe would depend on what you promised them and what is in the contract.  She mentions the word "bling" several times and there's no "bling" on this cake, so maybe that was a big point to them.  Who knows.  I had to laugh at her email though - apparently the bride and groom spent the entire evening wooeing people.  LOL! Does she mean "WOW"ing people?  Kinda different meanings. 

SweetPea0613 Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 3:56pm
post #17 of 41

AWell you have all confirmed with me that I am not crazy and my cake isn't ugly. I was doubting myself at one point and I let this email eat away at me all day.

She had mentioned shiny and sparkly but never did I write down putting rhinestones on the cake so there was probably a disconnect there. I told her it would be airbrushed on pearl(I wrote that down). I guess they wanted it to be airbrushed in silver to look as tacky as they originally wanted. Thu wanted so much stuff on this cake and the engagement cake as well. I let them know that it just would not look elegant, which is what they wanted. So they agreed to my suggestions. On my contract states that I can change elements of the design I look the best as long as it doesn't affect cost. That's why I didn't put anything in the center of the quiltin. I felt it would have been too much.

I emailed her back but no response yet. Depending on he response I will contact the hall and investigate. Right now I will just put it behind me because I know all they want is to make me look bad and possibly get their money back.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 4:54pm
post #18 of 41

AContact the venue now. They may also be dealing with her. You need to share info.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 7:01pm
post #19 of 41

AThats nuts, the cake is beautiful. I would understand if she thought that it didn't fit the brief, but why the rubbish about bulges? Get investigating :detective:

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 7:25pm
post #20 of 41

The cake is gorgeous.  The bulging she is referring to maybe caused by the people at the venue who cut the guests pieces.  When a butter cream cake is left at room temperature for a while then cut without a careful hand, yes it will make the icing and filling get the bulged look when the slices are given out.   That is probably what the MOB is talking about.    An inexperienced wedding cake cutter might push too hard/squish the cake layers down too much and cause it to bulge.  The slices are small and many.

The MOB is just being petty and blaming you for something that probably isn't your fault.   I would talk to the bride, get her thoughts.

Don't second guess your talent, you do beautiful work.

Take Care

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 7:46pm
post #21 of 41

ANext she'll be suing all the other vendors for simultaneously making all the guests 'woo', causing injury as nobody was un-wooed to be able to catch them! You got off lightly ;) lol

I don't usually comment on buttercream cakes as I personally don't like the look, but you did a flawless job on the buttercream and I thought the cake looked great.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 7:48pm
post #22 of 41

freeze-dried wackaloon

Nixs247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nixs247 Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 8:02pm
post #23 of 41

Well!

That was a very lengthy email to say the least....what's with all the waffle when the MOB could have got straight to the point?

Of which there is NO POINT to her DRAMATICAL WOOEING STORY....lol

I have looked and re-looked at your lovely creative design and I cannot for the life of me see those "Bulges!"

I agree with the others on this thread.....You need to contact the venue, photographers, florsit, dj or any other service ASAP that was requested for that wedding to see if they too are experiencing something similar.

If it turns out that none of the above got a lengthy email nor complaint...I personally feel it could be a case of the GREEN EYED MONSTER.

Maybe in heinsight the MOB wishes that she had designed her own daughters cake because all that wooing your cake was getting she wishes it was her that created it.

Just my two pennies worth!

Nixs :o)

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 8:12pm
post #24 of 41

As others have said, the cake is beautiful.There was not a quilted look(she could have been mistaken that was suppose to be done.) YOu did  a great and beautiful job!!!!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 10:26pm
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot 

freeze-dried wackaloon

^^^This. Absolutely.  That is a beautiful cake - it wooed me! icon_lol.gif

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 8:15pm
post #26 of 41

The cake is great! Maybe in her head she had a picture of cake that was covered in fondant not buttercream! Also why would you put a heap of bling, glitz and shine on cake that is covered in branches and blossoms and buttercream? (Sounds like her taste is in her arsse), it would have looked strange! I would be getting to the heart of the issue and contacting the bride and asking what she felt about it. After all it was her cake wasn't it?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 8:33pm
post #27 of 41

A

Original message sent by SweetPea0613

They were already getting a cheaper rate since they saw me at a bridal show and I honored my old price. I just offered $30 off because I felt like being nice I guess. I was hoping they wouldn't order since I knew they would be difficult to deal with.

Next time you have a potential customer who seems like trouble, remember to increase your price, not give a discount.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 11:56pm
post #28 of 41

.........cake was suppose to have the initials in rhinestones or bling, it looked so bad, the initials were not even proportioned to the top layer of the cake. You had said you would come up with something so that the initial would stand out and it didn't. They were not appealing.....

All in the eye of the beholder :(  I see none of what she is complaining about here.  I notice she uses the word 'layer' instead of tier regarding the top....and she is suppose to be a cake decorator too??

....... The cake was supposed to have a shine to it and it didn't.  The round tall cake was suppose to have the quilted look to it with rhinestones in the center of each cross, it didn't.  It only had piping on it......

I have to agree there doesn't seem to be any 'shine' to the cake but I'm not sure what she saw & was expecting.  And no, from what I see where are not any rhinestones in the center of each quilted cross section....some flowers yes, but I don;t see rhinestones. ...... That said, was she paying  you to be there to insure that each and every one of them was removed and not served to her guests??

............ It had so much frosting on the cake it was not tasteful. ......

She dosen't like 'frosting'?  Then why did she order a cake?

........ design of the cake was poor, the branches were huge and had a few flower on it.  It looked unfinished and sloppy. On parts of the tree stumps, it literally looked as if the tree had been uprooted with the roots pointing upward.......

I sure don't see that!  If she didn't like the design why was that design picked?     Yes, pictures *don't* show the whole story.  Seeing it in person *might* change my mind but I don't think so :)    Or did *mother* NOT know what bride/daughter picked out for the design?

A very nice creation that is well worth keeping in your album :)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 12:03am
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s 

Contact the venue now. They may also be dealing with her. You need to share info.

Absolutely...I had a couple of clients this year like this, and when I started comparing noted with other vendors at those weddings they all had received complaints as well. The trend now is to just ***** and moan and maybe you'll get money back, but there's nothing wrong with that cake, and as long as you delivered what was on the contract she's got no leg to stand on. Watch out if she paid with a credit card, because the other trend that businesses here have noticed is the filing of complaints that pull credit card payments back.

Call the reception site and see what really happened. I doubt that it's what she said.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 1:24am
post #30 of 41

Woo?   Did she write this email under the influence?  Your cake is beautiful, it's impeccable.  It's too bad the mother of the bride was not beside herself with joy at her daughter's wedding...sounds like she has issues.  My mother wasn't super happy with my cake but she didn't make a big deal of it because she was too happy thinking about her future grandchildren.  So WOO to you...your cake woos me.  I'm sorry...I can't stop laughing.icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%