Best Way To Take Wedding Cake From Your Place To The Location?

Decorating By alstarks0209 Updated 28 Nov 2012 , 3:56am by BakingIrene

alstarks0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alstarks0209 Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 6

I'm new to making and traveling with wedding cakes. I have a question. I have to take a wedding cake to where the reception will be. I figure I would build it when I get there. However, I haven't found boxes large enought to carry a 6" x 12" round cake bottom, 6" x 9" middle, and 6" x 6" top. The height is really the problem. Any suggestions?

5 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 6

I'm sure someone will help you find commercially made boxes of that size - I'm sure they exist.

However, I'd perhaps just put them in open-top boxes for the car journey so you don't need to worry. I find that having the box underneath the cake makes handling it easier, but you don't really need the lid, especially when it will probably be pretty expensive to buy very tall boxes.

Your other option is to stack the bottom two tiers and just put the top one on when you get there.

lyndya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndya Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 6

AI stack mine, dowel it, and transport in one piece. Otherwise, you are having to stack soft buttercream. Never had a problem.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 6

Go to the local office supplies store and buy a box.  Open in down one side and tape the top closed.  The side opens like a drawbridge.  Slide the cake in, close and tape.  If the cake is sitting on a 16" drum,  know there are  boxes with a side dimension of 16".

And use SPS for support. 

bellacakeaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellacakeaz Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 6

THE BOXES YOU NEED CAN BE PURCHASED @ ABC CAKE DECORATING SUPPLIES - ALSO KNOWN AS CAKE ARTS. THEY SELL WHOLESALE AND RETAIL. AND SHIP ACROSS THE GLOBE. I LOVE THIS STORE! icon_biggrin.gif

ABC CAKE birthday.gif DECORATING SUPPLIES

2853 E. INDIAN SCHOOL RD

PHOENIX, AZ 85016

602-224-9796

WWW.CAKEARTS.COM

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 3:56am
post #6 of 6

It's perfectly OK to use clean corrugated cardboard boxes for a tiered cake.  Or no box at all, I used to put my tiers on cookie sheets for up to a half hour drive.  If you are not using pillars, it is still useful to put the tiers onto plastic separator plates because they have the nubs to get your hands under the plates.  Put foam under the plate on the cookie sheet.

Those nice white cake boxes are for layer cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%