Can I Subtitute Tylose Powder With Meringue Powder?

Baking By Pris714 Updated 27 Nov 2012 , 3:44pm by cakeyouverymuch

Pris714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pris714 Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 10:13am
post #1 of 5

Hey, Need a little help please. I was told by a friend that I could use tylose powder mixed into fondant to make it a little stiffer, but I can't seem to find any Tylose powder anywhere. Can I use Meringue powder instead?

I am trying to make circular disks to sit on top of a cupcake, on top of butter cream, I just need the disks to hold their shape without being to hard to bite into.

Thank you for your help. :)

4 replies
leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 11:08am
post #2 of 5

No.  The are not the same thing.  I am not sure what tylose is made out of but Meringue is just a powder eggwhite. 

Pris714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pris714 Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 12:03pm
post #3 of 5

Okay cool. :) Thanks heaps for that.. do you think that fondant will hold it's shape without needing an additive?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 5

If you let the fondant harden for a week or two, then yes.  For a disk to stand upright (on an edge) it's going to have to be pretty dry and hard.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 5

If you are looking to make disks like those in your picture and they'll be lying flat on the top of the cupcake, you shouldn't need to add anything to your fondant.  Make your toppers the night before and let them air dry overnight.  Put them on your cupcakes as late as you can and they should be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%