Your Personal Experience W/wilton Sugar Sheets?

Decorating By kakeladi Updated 30 Nov 2012 , 9:51pm by MMueller

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 5:46am
post #1 of 8

I have found some Wilton sugar sheets at my local Goodwill for only $1.63 each. 

My ? is how long do they last?  If I bought some now but didn't use them for several months will they still be good?  They would have to be kept at room temp - no extra fzr space :(

Have you had any problems with using them - like if you cut them into diamonds are they easy to remove from the backing or do they tear, split or fall apart? 

7 replies
tykesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tykesmommy Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 2:56am
post #2 of 8

AMy first thought when I read this is why does goodwill have sugar sheets and why would you buy them? Check the expiration date to make sure they're not expired. Personally, I think sugar sheets are a pain in the rear. They don't come off very well for me and I can't ever get them to look the way I want on a cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you so much for your comments.  I did ck the pkg for experiation but didn't find any :(

Knowing there might be a problem w/using them I'd just as soon skip them. 

CraftyCassie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraftyCassie Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 8

Sugar sheets taste NASTY!   Don't waste your money - even if they were only 1 penny!

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 8

I've had some for a year now and as long as you keep them sealed tight they are okay. I have had no problem using them.

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 8

I've had no problem with sugar sheets after I figured out: They must be kept sealed and once you have opened use the whole sheet. Once opened the sheet becomes brittle and the cuts break. You can cut all at one time but must be used at once. Even later in the day after being exposed to air the paper becomes brittle and is hard to handle. I've had no problem with separating the backing and I'm pretty pleased with the results. I do believe there is such a thing as "old" sugar sheets. Good luck

Eat Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eat Cake Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 8

I have another question about sugar sheets.  I made flat chocolate clay cupcake toppers to go on whipped frosting.  I cut letters out of sugar sheets and I want to stick them to the toppers.  How do I "glue" the sugar sheet to the modeling chocolate?  Thanks for any advice.

MMueller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MMueller Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 9:51pm
post #8 of 8

Does anyone know if they keep well if you vacuum seal the package once you've opened it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%