Faux Cupcakes For Decorating

Baking By ChristineJ Updated 2 Dec 2012 , 2:43am by fcakes

ChristineJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineJ Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 4:05am
post #1 of 4

Hello   I was wondering if anyone knows how to make faux cupcakes just for decorating? I  want something that looks like real batter and real icing. , and will last quite long to go onto stands for display.  Thanks to all

3 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 4:26am
post #2 of 4

HI, i make mine with GREAT STUFF. It is an insulating foam sealant for gaps & cracks. I do demos at Michaels for Wilton. I make them to take to Ices Convention, etc. I use r/i  to decorate or cover them with fondant. You put your c/c liners in muffin pan. Shake the can of great stuff, it has a long tube that you fit on. Then just spray little more(not much) than half full. I let it set over nite and the next morning , i have faux cupcakes. I have been doing this for  7 yrs. It works great for me. hth I have some that i did for a demo from about 5 yrs. ago(halloween and valentine) still looks great. I put them in a cake box(i make c/c holder using foil that i have impressed into the muffin pan) . then i tape the box up good. They keep forever.

sugardaddy129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardaddy129 Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 6:34am
post #3 of 4

I made some faux cupcakes for my last party. They made out really good. You may give it a try if you like. But first you are going to need a list of things:

• Cupcake liners
  • Muffin tins
  • Rubber spatula
  • Plastic spoon
  • Pastry tube
  • Beads, glitter and ribbon
  • POP
  • Joint compound
  • Acrylic paints

First of all mix up some of the powdered Plaster of Paris in your plastic mixing bowl, stir with spatula and quickly pour into your muffin /cupcake cups.Let it set for 1 hour to harden.

To create icing, you need to get your pastry icing bag ready.Now Take several tablespoons of the joint compound and put into the small plastic bowl. Add several squirts of the acrylic paint color of your choice and stir together and then quickly fill your pastry bag.Pipe icing onto cupcake starting from the outer edge of the cupcake and working towards the center.
Start applying the glitter or beads As soon as possible after icing the cupcakes.

Let them dry for a day and then gladly display your creations on a pretty cupcake stand.

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 2:43am
post #4 of 4

AI made real cupcakes for a display, forgot to throw them out and found them a month later, rock hard but still no mold or spoilage! Lol!

I used a regular vanilla cupcake recipe with butter in it and Crisco based icing :grin:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%