Cookie Decorating Open House W/kids.

Baking By cookierookie Updated 30 Nov 2012 , 1:49am by cookierookie

cookierookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookierookie Posted 26 Nov 2012 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 4

Ideas, etc, please.  I've been asked to conduct a cookie decorating booth for our town's annual Christmas Stroll. The attendees will be kids of all ages, and will come and go anytime within a two hour timeframe.  I'll make my cookies beforehand, then planned on using royal icing.  As we know, RI will not be dry within the timeframe allowed, so here is my thought.  I thought I'd basecoat all the cookies, then just allow the kids to "detail".  I thought I'd make Christmas trees, snowflakes, and stockings, then allow them to "draw" on the cookies with icing bags and add the stars, garland, balls, etc with sprinkles & RI decorations.  I thought by doing it this way, there wouldn't be much wet icing to deal with, and they could still get home with their cookies somewhat in tact, if desired.  Do you think this will work?  Appreciate any comments/suggestions.  I'm not sure what I've gotten myself into. :)

3 replies
sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 4

I am doing almost the same thing on the 8th, I was asked to supply 10 dz. sugar cookies, and a gallon of cookie icing, the kind that dries fast, found on wilton.com. The mom in charge will divide and color into 6, then pour into 2 oz. solo cups, and the kids will decorate with popsicle sticks. I am only doing 3 shapes also, and will be on hand to help and discuss with other helping moms, I suggested using sandwich baggies with colors, kinda like a frosting bag, for the older kids to use, everyone will be able to decorate how they want. Last year brought in over 40 kids, this year already over 60 have paid tickets to get in. Fun, fun! Where's my drink?!? LOL

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 4

I do a Harvest fest where 650 cookies are decorated in 3 days.  I package cookies on 6"plates in ziplock bags.

I have 6 different colors of royal icing in disposable pastry bags (tied with rubberbands at the end). I also have a variety of sprinkles.  After they take cookie out of bag and decorate, we take cookie(which is on the plate) slide it into bag, partially zip it and have them blow air in the corner of  bag, then zip it closed.  They need to keep it upright, but it will dry without smashing. 

Good Luck

cookierookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookierookie Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 1:49am
post #4 of 4

sfandm - thanks for the reply.  Sounds like you'll have a busy day!  That's a good idea about the popsicle sticks.  I might do that too.  So, you have 20 more this year, probably 40 more next year. ha! 

gbreadtogo - thanks for your reply too.  Good idea about blowing air into the bad, for cushioning.  I was wondering how the kiddies would get home with their cookies.  I'm hoping they'll just eat them there on the spot. 

Should be interesting to see how this goes.  Nonetheless, I'm excited about it and even bought a new Ms. Claus apron for the occasion. ha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%