Modeling Chocolate Recipes Question

Baking By lrlt2000 Updated 26 Dec 2012 , 5:19pm by WickedGoodies

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 26 Nov 2012 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 12

I noticed that the recipes I found on CC for modeling chocolate seem to suggest I can substitute any type of chocolate in the recipes.  But baking site I found gives different recipes for each different type of chocolate, and it's a different amount of corn syrup each time.

Can anyone comment on why the amount of corn syrup needs to change?

11 replies
gmfcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmfcakes Posted 26 Nov 2012 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 12

If you are referring to different kinds of chocolate, like white, dark, milk, I believe it is because of the different contents of fat each one has, but not positive. 

gmfcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmfcakes Posted 26 Nov 2012 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 12

And also how much much actual cocoa is in the type of chocolate also makes a difference, that's why many recipes say to get the chocolate with more percentage of cocoa. White chocolate has the least amount. I don't know if any of this answers your question, but hope it helps. icon_biggrin.gif

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 26 Nov 2012 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 12

When you make modeling chocolate from scratch, the corn syrup serves to weaken chocolate's bonds so that the chocolate takes on a more doughy consistency. Milk and white chocolates, since they contain dairy, are already soft to begin compared to say a bittersweet chocolate, so those types require less corn syrup.

Also it's not just the type of chocolate but also its percentage of cocoa butter (or lack thereof) that effects how much corn syrup or glucose is required in a recipe for modeling chocolate. That is because cocoa butter makes chocolate molecules stronger. So high quality brands of chocolate with high percentages of cocoa butter require more corn syrup in order to soften up into a pliable consistency whereas imitation brands like candy melts, which contain hydrogenated oils in place of cocoa butter, require less corn syrup because they already have weak bonds.

Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing just from reading a chocolate label how much cocoa butter chocolate contains (although you can always look to see if and where it appears in the ingredients list to get a sense of quality) so this is one of those recipes that you may need to tinker with before you get the desired results. 

lrlt2000 Posted 26 Nov 2012 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you, all! Thanks, WickedGoodies, for sharing your recipe.  I am always afraid of MC breaking or tearing at the corners/edges of a cake.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 26 Nov 2012 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 12

Wicked, Thanks for the recipe tips.

WickedGoodies Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 12

@lrlt2000, oh no I have used fondant plenty in the past (made hundreds of wedding cakes with it at one particular job) and there is some use of fondant in my portfolio (good skill to have) but indeed almost all of the cakes in my gallery are covered in modeling chocolate. I like the taste, it is easy to make, and it lasts much longer than fondant, which are all pluses. You are right that it can tear and certainly it is more challenging to work with than fondant but if you wrap the cake instead of stretching the stuff around a cake, it works and then you can do all kinds of nifty things like inlay patterns. I just love the stuff :)

lrlt2000 Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 12

When you say "wrap," do you mean wrap the circumference with a strip and put a circle on the top, then conceal or blend the seam together?? Do you have a tutorial for that, or will I find one on CC? Don't you find that MC is more expensive than MMF?  

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 12:43am
post #9 of 12

What do you put under your modelling chocolate? Ganache, or SMB? Also do you have more success working with coloured modelling chocolate than  fondant that you have coloured yourself? Is it easier?

WickedGoodies Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 8:34am
post #10 of 12

Danilou, I put American buttercream (all butter) under modeling chocolate. I just like MC better than fondant for all things. 

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 12

OK so how do we sign up for notification for this book as soon as it is published?

And would you consider accepting a Paypal payment for a pdf format--Please? Please with Swiss chocolate on it???  

No I don't mean an e-book format, just a pdf version with proper copyright protection.  I am asking because I have too many paper books already...

WickedGoodies Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 5:19pm
post #12 of 12

If you subscribe to my blog (scroll down and see option to subscribe on lower left hand part of the page), you will receive notice when my book is available to order (very soon!). Or if you would rather not subscribe, you may add my facebook page to your interests list to receive news and announcements.As for a PDF copy, I see what you're saying but I don't know if that's possible! The material is extremely photo rich so email can only transmit about 8 pages worth in PDF. Your best bet is probably an ebook version, which will be available soon in addition to the print version. Thanks for your interest and btw I have way too many print books too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%