Sugar Cookies For Royal Icing & Cut Outs

Baking By LoveonCloudCupcake Updated 29 Nov 2012 , 8:22pm by LoveonCloudCupcake

LoveonCloudCupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveonCloudCupcake Posted 25 Nov 2012 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 4

So i have tried 2 recipes for sugar cookies. The one off Annies Eats & the No Fail Sugar Cookies off of here. I threw out the batch of annies eats cookies because it was nothing but cookie dough crumbles. I tried the one off here & it was the same thing. Nothing but crumbles. I eventually got a semi flat and formed dough out of this recipe after breaking a sweat & adding water to the mixture. Rolling out cookies shouldnt be this hard! they taste great but not sure its worth the effort. does anyone have a good sugar cookie recipe that forms a dough? or is this just something that is common amongst this recipe?

3 replies
Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 25 Nov 2012 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 4

Try adding an extra egg yolk to the NFSC recipe. It makes a difference. I also reduce the baking powder to just 1 tsp. icon_smile.gif

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 26 Nov 2012 , 1:16am
post #3 of 4

This is the one I use.  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/the-best-rolled-sugar-cookies/detail.aspx   I often cut back the sugar by 1/4c without issue.  Depending on my timing, I will refrigerate the dough for a while as it says in the recipe and then roll them out, or I'll roll them out when I've made the dough.  But either way, the cut cookies go back into the fridge for at least an hour before I bake them.  I often roll and cut one night and then bake the next night.   I also drop the temperature a bit so that I don't get any browning on them.  Lately I've been baking at 365 on convection for about 6-8 minutes.

LoveonCloudCupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveonCloudCupcake Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks For the recipes and suggestions! I still used the NFSC recipe but i used jumbo eggs instead. Scraped the bottom of the bowl & sides in between adding flour & it came out 100% better. I might try some of the recipes posted but i like these pretty well, & dont have an issue with spreading or the baking powder

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%