Curious. Whats Your Base Price For A 6" In All Buttercream?

Business By mareg Updated 28 Nov 2012 , 2:52pm by tracyaem

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 25 Nov 2012 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 13

AI live in so. Cal. and mine is 40.00. Too low? High? Thanks for your in put!

12 replies
VKakes11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VKakes11 Posted 25 Nov 2012 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 13

I'm not expert with this, but I found this, it may be helfpul: http://www.cakeboss.com/PricingGuideline.aspx GL!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 25 Nov 2012 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 13

AOur smallest cake is an 8" round, which starts at $44. If a customer wants a 6" round it would also start at $44. This pricing is for northern California and includes the cost of a rented commercial kitchen.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Nov 2012 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 13

AI wouldn't take an order for something so small. However if that's really the size they wanted and were ok with the minimum charge, I suppose I would.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Nov 2012 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 13

$35, but I probably wouldn't take the order, unless it was a good, repeat customer.  Not enough $ to disrupt my day and turn on the oven.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 25 Nov 2012 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 13

AI agree that these small cakes are not worth it as one-offs, but if you have a reasonable volume of orders they are great for contributing to overhead and filling in slack time when working in a commercial kitchen.

Nixs247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nixs247 Posted 26 Nov 2012 , 12:36am
post #7 of 13

If your customer/client really wants a 6" then Im sure they would happy to pay the same rate as an 8" (for example).

Can you account for the manual labour, overhead costs etc...needed for a 6"?

Your time and energy could be used better elsewhere.

HTH

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 26 Nov 2012 , 1:40am
post #8 of 13

$35, for the most part, I get 6" cake orders with someone who also wants cupcakes. I've never just had a single 6" order, but this is very new for me. 

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 3:11am
post #9 of 13

i don't do a single 6", but as a cupcake tower topper or another add on cake, i will do $25 in buttercream. 

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 5:49am
post #10 of 13

AThanks everyone. I get asked to make small ones for small family gatherings. Not too sure still about base price. I may look into CakeBoss.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 4:39pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixs247 

Can you account for the manual labour, overhead costs etc...needed for a 6"?

Your time and energy could be used better elsewhere.

HTH

That!

tabathaba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabathaba Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 1:49pm
post #12 of 13

I also get small orders sometimes and had to institute a minimum order. Mine is $50. So if they want a six inch it's $50. If they want to add cupcakes, or custom decorations or figures to meet or exceed the $50 minimum then that is great. I find I stress out less and don't have to decide if it's worth my time that way.

tracyaem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracyaem Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 2:52pm
post #13 of 13

A 6-inch buttercream is $25, but I will only do them as part of a bigger order (either along with several dozen cupcakes, or as part of a tiered cake). Mainly b/c I'm a home baker and it's not worth the hassle of arranging pickup/delivery for such a small order.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%