Ideas For A 20Th Birthday Cake For A Guy?

Decorating By Bbreland Updated 24 Nov 2012 , 6:16am by hbquikcomjamesl

Bbreland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bbreland Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 3:51am
post #1 of 8

AHey, this is my first post! I have a cake order for a cousins son who is turning 20. The catch is, she's leaving all the creative work up to me. All she specified is that she wants an 8" round with red velvet and cream cheese icing, no fondant. Does anybody have any ideas for a classy cake that I can do in icing that's suitable for a guy?

7 replies
hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 8

It might help to know what the kid (and yes, at 50, I damn well can call 20-somethings and even 30-somethings "kids") likes, besides cake. Cars? Trains? Airplanes? Computers? Printing presses? Cameras? Travel? Music? Sports? Some sport in particular? How about lying around on a beach like a stranded cetacean?

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 8
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 8
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 24 Nov 2012 , 12:03am
post #5 of 8

Speaking for my own gender, I'd say that http://cakecentral.com/g/i/1786340/ is the only one of the above suggestions I'd find appealing (if I were making it, or it were being made for me, I'd go with a maple-cinnamon BC [which matches the picture] on a spice cake).

At the same time, though, I don't think tying into the recipient's interests (NASA? Star Trek? Star Wars? Tolkien? The Arthurian mythos?) would constitute a "novelty cake" (unless you were to go completely overboard, as I plan to with my own "Emergency!" themed 51st birthday cake -- get it? "Emergency!" -- as in Squad 51, Engine 51).

Bbreland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bbreland Posted 24 Nov 2012 , 2:09am
post #6 of 8

AThanks for all the ideas! They want to keep it super simple, no fondant or gumpaste, and definitely no novelty. I think I've finally gotten them to decide on just a Browning logo on top, with the usual happy birthday message.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 24 Nov 2012 , 6:16am
post #8 of 8

"Browning logo"? Browning as in what? Browning Automatic Rifle?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%