Anyone Having Trouble With Checkout Security At Globalsugarart?

Decorating By vcheddar Updated 5 Dec 2012 , 2:18am by costumeczar

vcheddar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vcheddar Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 2:19am
post #1 of 109

Hello! I have ordered numerous times from GSA with no problems. Because of it, I dedicated a CC to their online orders.  Just placed an order a couple of days ago and my brand-new CC was compromised and used for fraudulent transactions.  Do they use secure servers? I guess I haven't paid attention to that.

The CC's fraud department is investigating, so I won't be responsible for the charges, but I wonder if this has happened to anyone else recently?

108 replies
HeyWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeyWife Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 2:50am
post #2 of 109

Three times since June. And each time I had to wait 10 days for a new card AND close my checking account. I won't order from there again.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 3:20am
post #3 of 109

AOne alternative is to use is a virtual credit card number, if your bank offers this feature you can generate credit card numbers that are only good once.

http://blog.credit.com/2011/06/worried-about-online-security-use-a-temporary-credit-card-number/

vcheddar Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 4:21am
post #4 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyWife 

Three times since June. And each time I had to wait 10 days for a new card AND close my checking account. I won't order from there again.

My cc has been compromised in the past, as recent as a month or so ago.  Looking back now, I suspect it was them before too, but because I was using the same card for a lot of other transactions, I didn't make the connection.  Only noticed this time because it's the only transaction I had on a never used card number. What a shame.  I thought they had a really good range of products, but won't be able to use them again unless things improve. 

vcheddar Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 4:21am
post #5 of 109

that is a great idea.  I don't think my bank offers that, but I'll inquire. thanks!

vcheddar Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 4:22am
post #6 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

One alternative is to use is a virtual credit card number, if your bank offers this feature you can generate credit card numbers that are only good once.
http://blog.credit.com/2011/06/worried-about-online-security-use-a-temporary-credit-card-number/

that is a great idea.  I don't think my bank offers that, but I'll inquire. thanks!

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 7:20am
post #7 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

One alternative is to use is a virtual credit card number, if your bank offers this feature you can generate credit card numbers that are only good once.

Jason the things you know are AMAZING! I'll definitely look into this.My CC as recently compromised but thankfully the CC company caught on before the transaction went  through. AND I usually shop at GSA. Hmm. I'm scared now. The thought of a life without GSA....IS. SO. SAD.Yep, gotta look into this virtual card thingy. Thanks Jason!

SweetTzippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTzippy Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 109

A[SIZE=4]YES!!!!! After my last two purchases @ GSA my CC (two different ones) were compromised!!!!! I think we should contact Alan, the owner, and let him know that this problem might affect his business sales.[/SIZE]

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 3:58pm
post #9 of 109

YES!!...and I've ordered from them many times! Hate that it's happened to anyone but glad to know I'm not the only one. I placed an order online with GSA back in September. They didn't have a couple items I was looking for so I also ordered from Cal Java though I'd never used them before. I got a call from my CC fraud dept. after that so I attributed the breach to Cal Java. Got a brand new card, ordered from GSA and the trouble started AGAIN!!. Some of the charges were to sypstream.com and newegg.com. Had to get another new CC & sure won't be ordering online until security is assured.

I agree that the company should be contacted about this issue.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 4:28pm
post #10 of 109

AHow long after your transactions with GSA did the fraudulent transactions happen? I purchased from 5 suppliers in September, and on nov. 12 4 fraudulent transactions showed up on my debit card. 1 for a company called Skinit.com and 3 purchases of antivirus software from a company in Australia. My bank is investigating, had to kill my debit card and get a new one, and got a provisional credit for the charges, and had to file a report with local law enforcement. I use my debit card a lot as I don't use credit cards at all, so it was a real pain. Makes me mad that I won't ever know who did this and how they got my number:(

tracyaem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracyaem Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 7:22pm
post #11 of 109

My card has been compromised twice in the last 3 months (two different cards). I suspected GSA, after reading this thread I'm now convinced. Boo - they had fairly decent prices and quick shipping. Oh well, off to find another supplier....

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 8:51pm
post #12 of 109

GSA and CK both resulted in stolen credit card issues for me and another person I know. I'm going to use one of those disposable credit cards you can get at CVS when I order from them from now on, my bank doesn't do the disposable numbers.

I only use paypal when I order through anybody online if it gives me the option. That's never resulted in a number being stolen.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 11:30pm
post #13 of 109

Thanks so much for this post.  I ordered from GSA as well and my card got hit - for a $400 watch in Texas and a .50 cent charge over seas, "they were testing the waters for a larger hit".  My bank caught it and stopped my card immediately - unfortunately I was at a store trying to charge crafts to it but was able to use another card instead.  Had no idea who could have done it but am now suspicious of GSA too.  Thanks.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 11:39pm
post #14 of 109

Ok, I just went to their site and left a message.  Maybe if we all do the same they'll get a secure sit up and running soon so that we can keep shopping with them.  There's safety in numbers, please let them know.  If this was your business, you'd want to know and would appreciate the information.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 12:12am
post #15 of 109

They do know about it, and so does CK. whether they can stop it or not is another issue. Just use the temporary cards on both sites to be safe! I'll never use my credit card on either one again, I don't trust them to fix it. All it takes is one crooked employee to have it go bad no matter how secure they have the system.

Tracey2528 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracey2528 Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 12:14am
post #16 of 109

This happened to me twice when ordering from there! I wasn't sure where my card number had gotten compromised because I had used it at a lot of different places (online and locally). But when I got my new card the only purchase I made was from Global Sugar Art so I knew it had to be there! This is really unfortunate because I love ordering from them! I also sent them a message asking if they will be using PayPal or some other form of secure checkout soon. Where else is a good place to order supplies from? I order from them and from cakedeco.com, but I find that GSA has so much more.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 4:32am
post #17 of 109

Good to know!  I had fraud on my cc, not from GSA, but whoever took it used it for a cell phone, car insurance, and COURT FEES!!!  MY cc bailed someone out of jail...

it might not even be an employee at GSA...hackers are smart and can log into a business to steal info.

vcheddar Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 1:48pm
post #18 of 109

Oh my! thank you all ~after reading your comments I went back and looked at the credit cards that were compromised in the past year (one of which got replaced multiple times) and I noticed that almost every time it was compromised it was shortly after placing an order with GSA. This last time someone went shopping at Barnes and Noble, Netflix, a video game outfit from TX and a couple of others I don't remember now)

I will attempt to also get a hold of Alan and let him know what is happening.  I cannot purchase from them again until either the issue is resolved, they add Paypal as a checkout option, or I can figure out a way to get prepaid cards or one-time use card numbers.  

I think this will hurt their business eventually, as I am certain we are not the only ones that this has happened to.  

vcheddar Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 1:59pm
post #19 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 

Good to know!  I had fraud on my cc, not from GSA, but whoever took it used it for a cell phone, car insurance, and COURT FEES!!!  MY cc bailed someone out of jail...

it might not even be an employee at GSA...hackers are smart and can log into a business to steal info.

oh no! I bet your cc issuer wasn't happy either about bailing someone out... ;)

it could be hackers, they sure know all the tricks, but their security must be dismal because it has been happening for a while.  From my own experience (see above comment) I think it must be someone on the inside.  Perhaps not using it themselves, but selling the numbers to someone -in the U.S. or overseas (last year someone bought plane tickets to Chile with my CC!). I don't want to make more trouble for them, but I am considering calling the fraud detection dept from my CC and letting them know what I suspect. We'll see. I'll wait to see how receptive GSA is to my phone call.

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 4:56pm
post #20 of 109

Wow, this happened to me as well and I didn't even think about it being them.....now I'm aware and I just reordered.  Time to go look at my account.  I will not reorder again.  This is really unfortunate.

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 5:54pm
post #21 of 109

This happened to me recently also, and the weird part is, someone tried to spend a lot of money at a site that sold really nice aprons.  I think it was called "Flirty Aprons"?  I thought it was such a coincidence because I have a cake decorating business, but my card is in my name, not a business name.  Now this seems really, really suspicious!

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 6:28pm
post #22 of 109

I just checked and my business account was dinged for $149.99 at Newegg.com.  I will not be using GSA again, I don't care how much cheaper they are.  This is the second time in 3 months.

trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 6:47pm
post #23 of 109

I recently had the same experience. I ordered from GSA and a month later things were being charged to my account. My cc had to issue me a new card.

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 6:56pm
post #24 of 109

I just ordered from them this morning.  I noticed there was a paypal option on their checkout, but I clicked on it and nothing happened, so I had to use my card.  I will be very upset if it happens again!

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 7:25pm
post #25 of 109

YES...just happened to me...placed order 18 Nov, 2012...credit card compromised 23 Nov, 2012...no doubt breach came via GSA since card was not used elsewhere.

I'd never shopped with GSA before...website required registration to checkout...registration page (account setup) was unsecure (http vs https, questionable)...but checkout shows secure (https)...not sure where breach occured?

Because of this thread, I'd been keeping a close watch on my credit card...checked charges on 22 Nov, 2012 and all was well. Received call from credit card company the morning of 23 Nov, 2012...rep stated suspicious activity in the form of 'robo' type charges to 'gaming' entities without bonafide addresses (phone contact only). I'm thankful my credit card company was looking out for me.

Attempted to call GSA to have my account wiped out...answering service response only...unable to reach live human...will continue to attempt contact after holiday.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 7:29pm
post #26 of 109

I guess we're all experiencing this problem.  My husband decided to surprise me with some new decorating supplies and had placed an order at GSA using his credit card.  Not knowing that, I placed an order using my debit card, again from GSA, and both purchases were within a few days of each other (but thank goodness we each ordered different things!).  Both of our cards got hit, but not too badly.  I keep a close eye on our accounts so caught it quickly and cancelled both cards.  Very inconvenient to do that because like someone else on here said...I use my debit card a lot.  Didn't connect it with GSA at the time, though, until I read this post.  Hopefully they're working hard at getting something done about it because they have the largest selection that I've seen on line and prices aren't too bad.  Just wish they'd lower their shipping fees somewhat!  If you want to purchase just one or two items, the shipping is outrageous, especially when they're small items. 

vcheddar Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 7:37pm
post #27 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerle 

I guess we're all experiencing this problem.  My husband decided to surprise me with some new decorating supplies and had placed an order at GSA using his credit card.  Not knowing that, I placed an order using my debit card, again from GSA, and both purchases were within a few days of each other (but thank goodness we each ordered different things!).  Both of our cards got hit, but not too badly.  I keep a close eye on our accounts so caught it quickly and cancelled both cards.  Very inconvenient to do that because like someone else on here said...I use my debit card a lot.  Didn't connect it with GSA at the time, though, until I read this post.  Hopefully they're working hard at getting something done about it because they have the largest selection that I've seen on line and prices aren't too bad.  Just wish they'd lower their shipping fees somewhat!  If you want to purchase just one or two items, the shipping is outrageous, especially when they're small items. 

Gerle, this is not something new, it's been happening to some of us for a while, so I am not sure that they know they have a problem, or the problem is inside.

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 7:46pm
post #28 of 109

My card was hit as well- a few months ago- my cc called me- I called GSA and they seemed "surprised"-- hmmm- I am going to have to go through all my accounts over the last year and check for fraudulent charges-

I have NO doubt they are losing MASSIVE business- it is a shame- but I will not shop through them anymore- 

I know I would feel better if the owner sent a message to the many who have supported him for so long-

tracyaem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracyaem Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 8:14pm
post #29 of 109

I did wind up sending a message thru the "contact us" option of their site. Not sure they'll care, much less do anything about it. But the fact that so many have experienced this is ridiculous. How can you run a business like that?

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 9:03pm
post #30 of 109

Owner of GSA is Chef Alan Tetreault...

He is a member of Cake Central community under profile AlanT...ref http://cakecentral.com/u/291753/alant. Prior to my card being compromised, I PM'd him hoping he would join this discussion. He's responded to threads in the past, but I can't find any recent posts. Maybe he doesn't frequent Cake Central anymore?

GSA business appears to be growing...as of Aug 2012 was slotted to expand (see http://pressrepublican.com/0100_news/x236908387/Global-Sugar-Art-continues-to-grow for details)...sure hope he cares about this website security issue.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%