Ganache On A Kids Cake?

Decorating By Newbieone Updated 26 Nov 2012 , 3:19am by pbuder

Newbieone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbieone Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 5

Would you use ganache on a kids cake?  I'm making my 9 y.o. son's Captain Rex Helmet tomorrow, and I was thinking I would like chocolate frosting, and then I was thinking to do something that tastes different I should do ganache under the fondant.  

However, I have never done it on a cake before (only made ganache for truffles), and wondered if the chocolate would be too strong for the kids/babies?  

Then i was thinking I could do milk chocolate instead of semisweet, but I've never made that kind of ganache before and don't know how it tastes or how it would do outside in the humid Florida air (although it is brisker now, in the 60s and 70s).  

I read that the ganache holds better, and since I'm doing 7 layers of cake for the helmet, I would be grateful for strength.

Any input would be great.  I'm stressing, it's the day before Thanksgiving and all the stores are gonna close soon, and the party is Friday!

4 replies
rooch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rooch Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 5

hi there.  i always do ganache on the kid cakes.  i do frosting as my filling between cake layers and then ganache under the fondant.  have NEVER had a complaint. 

rooch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rooch Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 12:05am
post #3 of 5

oh and i always do semisweet.  nice balance between that and the supersweet frosting i put in between layers.

SkisandBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SkisandBakes Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 4:12am
post #4 of 5

If your son likes chocolate he will love ganache. This year I made a ganache covered cake for my husband's birthday and a buttercream covered cake for my son's birthday. My son was upset he didn't get what he called a crunchy chocolate cake like Dad. I also use semi sweet to balance the sweet filling.  

pbuder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbuder Posted 26 Nov 2012 , 3:19am
post #5 of 5

My 3 year old still hates frosting so I used ganache on his birthday cake. Everyone loved it, adults and kids ranging in age from 1 to 9. I used milk chocolate on one half and white chocolate on the other half. Some of the kids were eating the ganache and leaving the cake behind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%