Pound Cake Question

Decorating By Cathrine123 Updated 22 Nov 2012 , 4:04am by lorieleann

Cathrine123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathrine123 Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

For Christmas this year I am thinking of making a pound cake and covering it with white fondant and making Christmas decorations.This may be a rather dumb questions however I have never made pound cake before and my question that I would like to ask is what is a good center for the cake, is a simple buttercream ok? Should i give it a flavour or a colouring, if so what is the best you would advise for the taste of a pound cake. If I flavoured the pound cake with cinnamon would that be ok? Does anyone have any good recipes? 

All advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Cat

3 replies
hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 4

The only pound cakes I've ever made or bought have been completely monolithic in nature, baked in either a loaf pan or a Bundt mold. And usually served either completely naked, or lightly dusted with powdered sugar.

It's the nature of a pound cake not to need frostings or fillings. That's why it's become my go-to cake for my father's birthday (he never did care for frosting, even before he became mildly type-2 diabetic). And a plain pound cake is neutral enough in flavor that it can probably tolerate almost any kind of frosting, filling, or (within reason) batter addition.

I go with the BC mix (ACH also offers a pound cake mix under their "Dromedary" brand), baked in a (relatively) cheap (Calphalon, I think) Bundt mold.

Although a Bundt mold, unless it's really, really plain, might be too complex a surface to easily cover the cake in a rolled fondant (other Bundt cakes are, after all, usually frosted with a poured drip glaze).

"POUND CAKE?" (swings large mallet at innocent loaf cake) "I guess it DOES!"

-- L. Gallagher, from a "Sledge-O-Matic" routine

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 1:43am
post #3 of 4

I use several pound cakes as a regular layer cake.  The top gets that wonderful crunchy top, but it has to be cut off in order to work well with filing/layers.  I like to use a vanilla bean SMBC or a whipped ganache buttercream--nothing too sweet. I've put fresh, honeyed strawberries as a center filling as well.  When baking larger diameters I make sure to use a heating core and for smaller ones a flower nail in the center --this is when not using a tube pan. 

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 4:04am
post #4 of 4

I really couldn't say as a general rule, but i bake at 350 and for a 10" with a heating core, 2" pan, and bake even strips, i would start checking at 30 mins.  I usually bake by smell and toothpick, with a couple of different size pans in there, so i don't keep up on time per size. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%