Help! My Bottom 10 Inch Cake Tier Broke Open From The Side And Everything Is Oozing Out!! Help

Decorating By jiya11 Updated 2 Dec 2012 , 5:37am by Apti

jiya11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jiya11 Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 4:00am
post #1 of 6

Gasp! I know I added more filling than i should have :'( ! It kind of cracked and broke open from the side and everything oozing out. I tried to squeeze whatever I could and kind of crumbcoat on the side but its missing chunks of cake now!! Cake due Thursday noon EST and this is the bottom tier. Two more tiers going on top, 8 inch and 6 inch. Pic attached. Can this be salvaged somehow? I was weighing it down with the same sized cake pan and 4lbs bag of powdered sugar..

Please advise asap!!

The other end:

P.s. I do have a 6 inch cake in the freezer same flavor.. made it with leftover batter. Also have same flavored cake crumbs for cake pops..

5 replies
SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 6

This might be too late but I would suggest taking plastic wrap and wrap the cake really tight around the sides (basically make it act like a dam to hold the cake together). Pop it in the fridge for a few hours and then you should be able to refrost the whole cake again once the buttercream has crusted over really well. I would suggest refrosting a few layers to make sure that filling doesn't pop out again. I hope that helps! Good luck!!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 6

I'm not a professional baker (hobby baking for 3 years), but if this were my cake, I would start over.  Having something that shaky on the bottom would not give me confidence.  You could freeze the "repaired" tier shown above and use it later as a "stand-alone", non-stacked cake. 

Oh!  I just noticed that this thread was originally dated 6 days ago.  What did you end up doing, jiya11?

jiya11 Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 4:34am
post #4 of 6

AEnded up makng a new tier and salvaged the other one into a turkey cake for hubbys work. Worked out great.. lemme see if i can post pics..

jiya11 Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 4:37am
post #5 of 6

AYou can see it in my gallery.. I don't know how to post it from my phone.. its he Turkey cake..

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 5:37am
post #6 of 6

Excellent salvage job!  Loved the turkey cake. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%